Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Well, I guess these would never have been approved by the DRP (if there had been one back then):

48710247-6183-4A02-9E16-B3C7D0693E0E.jpeg

This design would have been quite complementary to 160 Front.

I'm not sure they will be able to do this and still elevator the tower properly.

Couldn't they just double bank the lowest and second lowest set of office elevators?
That would still preserve floor space on the upper levels.

I also doubt the lights will be the actual elevators.
Say they have 5 banks of 4 elevators each serving 10 floors
(other than podium, or maybe they all stop at the podium levels)
For example, that means the banks will light up as follows:
1-5 (podium), 6-15 (lit to 15), 16-25 (lit to 25), 26-35 (lit to 35), 36-45 (lit to 45), 46-52 (lit to 52)
Only the tallest bank of elevators (one section) will reach the top of the building.
The others would only light up to their highest floor.
You would never have all elevators travel to the top of the building.
The rendering hides the side of the building where the lights stop lower down.

Last edited:
This doesn't seem too much wider than CIBC square. Eye test only though, I couldn't find any measurements regarding the width of these 2 buildings. I'm curious what the DRP would say about CIBC's width not being an issue compared to this being a deal breaker here.

This design would have been quite complementary to 160 Front.

Couldn't they just double bank the lowest and second lowest set of office elevators?
That would still preserve floor space on the upper levels.

I also doubt the lights will be the actual elevators.
Say they have 5 banks of 4 elevators each serving 10 floors
(other than podium, or maybe they all stop at the podium levels)
For example, that means the banks will light up as follows:
1-5 (podium), 6-15 (lit to 15), 16-25 (lit to 25), 26-35 (lit to 35), 36-45 (lit to 45), 46-52 (lit to 52)
Only the tallest bank of elevators (one section) will reach the top of the building.
The others would only light up to their highest floor.
You would never have all elevators travel to the top of the building.
The rendering hides the side of the building where the lights stop lower down.
Hmm? This rendering, in the database file and published in a number of our stories, clearly shows the elevator banks, and does indicate that we will see the lights of the elevators:

UnionCtrHeroS1280.jpg

Structurally it will be super interesting to watch if this goes up as is. Multiple "external" elevators and a strong steel lattice work. Reminds me a bit, structurally, of the Cheesegrater in London.

I love the looks of the lights in the renders, the only issue is it's really flawed. it's an office tower. those elevators will be moving from 8-6 and then be largely still (during the hours where you can see the lights the most)

I love the looks of the lights in the renders, the only issue is it's really flawed. it's an office tower. those elevators will be moving from 8-6 and then be largely still (during the hours where you can see the lights the most)
I suppose that's the one benefit of it getting dark at nearly 3 in the winter!

Wouldn't take much to program the elevators to move after office hours and call it the public art contribution :p

AoD

In fairness, what seems like a lifetime ago as I was graduating uni; my filler job for a few weeks til I landed something I was looking for, was security in one of those downtown towers.

You'd be surprised how busy they are in the evenings.

Typically the elevators were programed to go to access card only at 7pm; but aside from routine stragglers, I have to tell you we had a tech group in our building and they didn't even get everyone in til late afternoon and would regularly go to 3am; and there's the dozens of office cleaners who hop floor to floor from around 8pm to 1am most night.

Certainly not as busy as daytime, but far from quiet; that was only a 30-storey tower, not a huge one like this where there would doubtless be even more activity later at night.

Now weekends...........weekends could be dead......

Hmm? This rendering, in the database file and published in a number of our stories, clearly shows the elevator banks, and does indicate that we will see the lights of the elevators:

What I meant was that the right most bank of elevator would only light to the level below the trees, and so forth.
The nighttime rendering hides that with other buildings (instead of using a different angle),
so you'd still have a wide building on the upper right without the "art piece" mitigating the width.

This is not a simple tower. There’s actually quite a lot going on. The slab is broken up into 10 smaller units. Structural diagrid will be visible. The lit elevators on the north façade. But it’ll be elegant and timeless - unlike the kitsch of the Pelli/Oxford design nearby.

Why is the slab 10 units? Any idea?

Whee are these elevators... I see fancy way of lighting the building to make it look interesting for a render. Nothing that clearly indicates elevator shafts. If so then why are there five elevators on the east side near the top. The elevator theory makes no sense. That would be cool and all but I don’t see what you are all talking about here.

Back