News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 727     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
MisterF said:
You make an interesting point, Queen's Park and Nathan Philips Square tell stories. So does University Avenue, for all its faults
Exactly. Although the Statue of King Edward VII looks a bit half-assed placed on top of a shabby mound of grass, it at least says something to the people who see it. University Ave suggests that there were important people who built this country. Even The Alexander Wood statue on Church has a story behind it that resonates today.

MisterF said:
A centrepiece doesn't have to be a stuffy, traditional statue, it can be modern public art that complements the rest of the square and invites loitering.
I'd rather see monuments than abstract art, but that's merely my own preference. I think abstract art gets dated fast and its significance gets lost (re: the Archer in NPS) with time. Memorials and statues tend to at least have a story behind them or bring out a sense of pride or patriotism in the people who view it.
Mind you, if done right, no matter what the centrepiece, it can have a profound impact on the area. Think of the tourism that gets generated around the world simply by statues and monuments. I'm going to Brussels next month and the second most important thing to see there after the Grand Place (essentially, their NPS) is the Mannequin Pis: a small statue of a boy peeing into a fountain. I don't know what the stats are but that little statue probably brings in millions for the city.

MisterF said:
Heh, I don't remember you getting berated. But welcome back!
Thanks! I was just given a really tough time by a smart ass or two that thought they'd play devil's advocate I guess and it turned me off of this place. No big deal.

I was just given a really tough time by a smart ass or two that thought they'd play devil's advocate I guess and it turned me off of this place. No big deal.

The same thing happened to me -- when I first started regularly posting here, I was heavily harassed by three or four of the regulars here. I eventually learned to ignore them, and after a while they stopped their attack posts.

I have to say, though, that I have seen a number of prospective posters to this board get attacked for no good reason, and stop posting here.

I went for a quick walkthrough but didn't get a free ticket so I couldn't go into the AMC lobby itself. You couldn't see much other than the lobby because everything is behind drywall hoarding, but I really do think the entire complex is going to be a success. It looks like they tried with the interior finishes (other than the exposed mechanical in all the ceilings, but I guess that's the new look everywhere; Ryerson Business Building is guilty of it too), they had multicoloured lighting all around the perimeter of the food court, and the seating areas looked nice enough.

I still think what it really needs is either a little more retail, or one more entertainment draw. It's too bad they didn't decide to put a Lucky Strikes in the basement, or a Dave and Busters in the space occupied by Jack Astor's and Milestone's. And I'm still holding out hope that they do eventually demolish the parking garage and infill the void with more retail.

I went for a quick walkthrough but didn't get a free ticket so I couldn't go into the AMC lobby itself. You couldn't see much other than the lobby because everything is behind drywall hoarding, but I really do think the entire complex is going to be a success. It looks like they tried with the interior finishes (other than the exposed mechanical in all the ceilings, but I guess that's the new look everywhere; Ryerson Business Building is guilty of it too), they had multicoloured lighting all around the perimeter of the food court, and the seating areas looked nice enough.

I still think what it really needs is either a little more retail, or one more entertainment draw. It's too bad they didn't decide to put a Lucky Strikes in the basement, or a Dave and Busters in the space occupied by Jack Astor's and Milestone's. And I'm still holding out hope that they do eventually demolish the parking garage and infill the void with more retail.

A Dave and Busters would have been a PERFECT fit for this building. Family dining during the day, adult fun and games all night.

March 22

AMC ground floor ticket area.
2355374396_4bc2ebfd9f_b.jpg

From the AMC theatre level looking down at the unopened food court and Future Shop.
2355374430_844ceef884_b.jpg

2355374438_7539b057ce_b.jpg

East side of TLS from Devonian Square.
2355374448_4648d97119_b.jpg

Victoria and Gould.
2355418478_c719355e71_b.jpg

AMC Theatres
Opening March 28, 2008

Sporting Goods & Clothing
Adidas
(opening soon)

Health & Beauty
Shoppers Drug Mart
(opening soon)

Services
Extreme Fitness
(opening soon)

Lottery Kiosk
(opening soon)

Food & Restaurant
Bagel Stop
(opening soon)

Baskin Robbins
(opening soon)

Beijing Express
(opening soon)

Bubble Tease
(opening soon)

California Thai
(opening soon)

Carribean Queen
(opening soon)

Cinnabon
(opening soon)

Crepe Delicious
(opening soon)

Gundam Base
(opening soon)

Harvey's
(opening soon)

Jack Astor's Bar & Grill
(opening soon)

Johnny Rockets
(opening soon)

Jugo Juice
(opening soon)

Juice Rush
(opening soon)

Kitchen Food Fair
(opening soon)

Koryo
(opening soon)

Made in Japan
(opening soon)

Milestone's Grill & Bar
(opening soon)

Mrs. Field's & Pretzelmaker
(opening soon)

OPA! Souvlaki
(opening soon)

Pita Village
(opening soon)

Saute
(opening soon)

Starbucks
Opening March 28, 2008

Subway
(opening soon)

Sushi Q
(opening soon)

Tim Hortons
NOW OPEN

Timothy's
(opening soon)

Vici Gelateria and Café
(opening soon)

Electronics
Bell Solo
(opening soon)

Bell World
NOW OPEN

Future Shop
NOW OPEN

Rogers Plus
(opening soon)

http://www.torontolifesquare.com/directory/

If some nice screens are put into those two holes facing Devonian Square, this whole development could actually turn into quite a boon for the space. I think it already gives it a cozy, tucked-in feel. Sure, the architecture isn't much, but the massing is helpful, IMHO.

I think that a solid "first" impression of Toronto Life Square can only be had in about one year from now when all the stores will be open, all the kinks will have been worked out, everything will be nice and polished and interesting ads will begin to emerge along the billboard wall.

Ah so we shall lock this thread until then :) Excellent idea if I do say so myself.

Back