News   Mar 28, 2024
 733     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

King St. W., south side, looking east from Jordan St. 1867 TPL
King St. W., south side, looking east from Jordan St. 1867 TPL.jpg

King at Jordan.jpg

A FEW STEPS TO OBLIVION…. 1915 to 1964

Registry Building, cornerstone ceremony, 1915 TPL
1. W.H. Bennett; 2. The Mayor, T.L. Church; 3. John T. Scott; 4. J. Ross Robertson; 5. John Dunn, Alderman
Registry Building 1915 TPL.jpg

Chinese Victory Celebrations 1945, CTA
Registry Building - Chinese Victory Celebrations 1945, CTA.jpg

Registry Building c.1950 CTA.jpg

Registry Building 1964 CTA.jpg

Looking at the Chinese victory celebration, I guess the steps of the Registry were the Nathan Phillips Square of its day!

The 'Queen Live' landlords booted out about 4 food businesses a couple years ago to upgrade inside. They finished the work about a year ago but no takers for spaces. Lost opportunities here given how much foot traffic walks by daily in front.

McCormack & Jackson lumber dealers, Keele Street, northwest corner of Vine St. c.1888 TPL

McCormack & Jackson lumber dealers, Keele Street, NW corner of Vine St. c.1888 TPL.jpg

When the town put in the Keele underpass (under the C.P.R. tracks), McCormack and Jackson sued for damages that would be caused to their business by construction. They were awarded the phenomenal sum of $30,000, and the business closed up, c. 1889.

Keele-Vine.jpg

Although it is several years after its closure, the older pic looks like they are finishing up removing the Toronto and York Radial Railway.
Yes, excellent observation lenaitch. That had not occurred to me.
Although, I remember riding on that Radial Line as a child.
We had to use it when visiting friends who owned a small farm near the Langstaff Prison Farm.
I think their property would have been on the present-day Hyw. #7, close to Leslie St.
We had to walk from Yonge St.

Yes, excellent observation lenaitch. That had not occurred to me.
Although, I remember riding on that Radial Line as a child.
We had to use it when visiting friends who owned a small farm near the Langstaff Prison Farm.
I think their property would have been on the present-day Hyw. #7, close to Leslie St.
We had to walk from Yonge St.

Quite a stroll from Yonge to Leslie ! I do remember the prison farm at Yonge and Hwy 7 but have no first-hand memory of the line. I remember seeing rails poking through the pavement at the Glen Echo Loop, and a car barn near Bond Lake (Oak Ridges) that stood for years, just before where a branchline broke off to Schomberg.

Quite a stroll from Yonge to Leslie ! I do remember the prison farm at Yonge and Hwy 7 but have no first-hand memory of the line. I remember seeing rails poking through the pavement at the Glen Echo Loop, and a car barn near Bond Lake (Oak Ridges) that stood for years, just before where a branchline broke off to Schomberg.

Would the path be that followed by present-day Bostwick Crescent and Schomberg Rd?

Would the path be that followed by present-day Bostwick Crescent and Schomberg Rd?

I believe so (plus the driveway/parking lot of the Oak Ridges Soccer Club). The old ROW was more visible before Oak Ridges filled in. You can pick it up again skirting south of Eversley Lake then snaking through Seneca King Campus.

Back