Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

UPE took a lot of its original branding influence from Oslo’s Flytoget, a premium priced high speed nonstop link to Oslo’s airport. Despite the usual overruns and political upheavals during its construction, it is immensely popular...even though it is only a few minutes faster than the cheaper and very attractive EMU commuter service that also serves the airport . So arguably there is precedent for attempting to maintain some sort of cachet to UP. All the same, I wouldn’t bother, especially if UP is forced to be a stopping service and has no actual value added to justify the extra fuss. The question is why GO wouldn’t attempt to make RER equal UPE’s standards.... it’s not that far behind anyways.

- Paul

At the very least keeping UP as a separate branding would allow for sale of tickets through non standard means. For example I think there was a time where Air Canada sold UPX tickets on it's planes during flights and can be sold as an add on when purchasing a ticket for a flight. That is until Pearson Transit Terminal gets an IATA designation allowing sale of tickets to/from it as part of an trip.

If we reach a point where we're servicing the Kitchener line with EMUs on 15 minute intervals to both Pearson and Bramalea, do we really need special branding for one of those services at all?

Yes. Proof LRT and Streetcar in Toronto.

So expect for new names for things we already almost have.

If we reach a point where we're servicing the Kitchener line with EMUs on 15 minute intervals to both Pearson and Bramalea, do we really need special branding for one of those services at all?

AT LEAST 15 minutes.

The media and Metrolinx really bunged up GO RER by mentioning "at least every 15 minutes" They should have advertized the maximum frequency, which is PR 101. You say your best not your worst.

currently there are trains on the lakeshore network that leave union every 8 minutes during rush hour.

GO RER/Electrification and PTC will best even that.

Lets not keep underselling Electrification or the GO Expansion program.

AT LEAST 15 minutes.

The media and Metrolinx really bunged up GO RER by mentioning "at least every 15 minutes" They should have advertized the maximum frequency, which is PR 101. You say your best not your worst.

currently there are trains on the lakeshore network that leave union every 8 minutes during rush hour.

GO RER/Electrification and PTC will best even that.

Lets not keep underselling Electrification or the GO Expansion program.

You're right about that. Most people's impression of GO is thundering 12 car diesel trains running a few times a day at rush hour. It's going to take a lot of work to change that perception.

You're right about that. Most people's impression of GO is thundering 12 car diesel trains running a few times a day at rush hour. It's going to take a lot of work to change that perception.

Just wait until we have 2WAD on one or two routes (beyond Lakeshore). The public pressure to have it on all routes will intensify.

ML is wise to not create expectations it can’t meet (in the immediate future, anyways).

- Paul

Drop the "express branding" altogether. Replace all trains with electric trains. Add a new station at every cross street. Integrate it as part of the TTC. Done. Ridership will be much higher than it is now, I guarantee it.
Just stop with the dreaming. It wont ever happen.

Drop the "express branding" altogether. Replace all trains with electric trains. Add a new station at every cross street. Integrate it as part of the TTC. Done. Ridership will be much higher than it is now, I guarantee it.

Ridership may increase (in fact, you're almost certainly right about that) - but will revenue increase accordingly, too?

Shorter trips at a lesser fare will not bring the line closer to paying its own way - especially with the premium being charged to those who travel to Pearson.

Dan

Ridership may increase (in fact, you're almost certainly right about that) - but will revenue increase accordingly, too?

Shorter trips at a lesser fare will not bring the line closer to paying its own way - especially with the premium being charged to those who travel to Pearson.

Dan
I didn't know public transit paid it's own way. I guess that's why we're extending the bloor line to Scarborough town centre and built another line to Wal-Mart and Ikea.

I didn't know public transit paid it's own way. I guess that's why we're extending the bloor line to Scarborough town centre and built another line to Wal-Mart and Ikea.

For a long time now, one of the measures of "efficiency" used for public transit in North America is farebox recovery.

This isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Dan

The PCs could have killed the electrification RFP but didn't. So we won't know exactly what they plan on doing until they get the bids in.

Sorry I meant the transfer to TTC part. Too many people are dreaming that somehow TTC can absorb this and charge TTC fare. Never will happen

For a long time now, one of the measures of "efficiency" used for public transit in North America is farebox recovery.

This isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Dan
There's a whole bunch of bus routes then we should start canceling. And shut down that Sheppard subway while at it. And cancel any rt to subway conversion.

Back