News   Mar 28, 2024
 970     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 544     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 839     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Thanks for this - sad to see that the old 15:46 from Unionville to Kitchener is gone. That used to complete my commute.

Also - how did you construct this?

I haven't experience this before on a non-Lakeshore line but I assume for trains like this one:

Aurora21:4022:3322:53Guelph

...that they let you stay on the train? Or do they say that it's out of service, everyone has to get off and then the passengers for Guelph get on? There are a few trains I've noticed on the chart where there is only about 10 minutes between arrival at Union and departure.

I haven't experience this before on a non-Lakeshore line but I assume for trains like this one:

Aurora21:4022:3322:53Guelph

...that they let you stay on the train? Or do they say that it's out of service, everyone has to get off and then the passengers for Guelph get on? There are a few trains I've noticed on the chart where there is only about 10 minutes between arrival at Union and departure.
In my experience it depends on the CSA.

They've received almost 200 new cars over the past 2 years. That's not "huge"?

8 F59s, and the 16 Tier 4 locos are now entering service. But there aren't 10 more coming.

Dan
Ohhhh so that's about 89 locomotives.
200 coaches is about
33- 6 car trains or
20 - car trains or
16 - 12 car trains.

If you just used them for off peak 6 car trains that should be plenty?

Ohhhh so that's about 89 locomotives.
200 coaches is about
33- 6 car trains or
20 - car trains or
16 - 12 car trains.

If you just used them for off peak 6 car trains that should be plenty?
You don't even need much of the new trains for increased offpeak service.

They only needed to add one additional 12-coach train to convert hourly lakeshore to 30-minute lakeshore back in year 2013, according to the announcement back then.

There's still plenty of offpeak capacity to increase service. The limiting factor currently is not enough corridor capacity to do sufficient frequency increases to bidirectional service on many lines.

Assuming track/siding/signalling/staging/storage/CN/CP/etc bottlenecks are removed bit by bit -- the extra trainsets are needed to increase peak service & provide counterpeak service during peak. Notice how few trains are incoming during evening peak? That's where the capacity crunch tends to be brought to fore.

Offpeak, there's still a huge amount of capacity available even after recent increases.

Massively more offpeak increases are theoretically possible with existing fleet -- as long as other bottlenecks are removed.

Last edited:
seems like a great idea, but bad for fare evasion. Say you don't pay your fare and wait for the fare inspectors to show up. Once you see them, you can quickly pay on your phone.

Don't these fare inspectors have the ability to know when and where the card was tapped?

Don't these fare inspectors have the ability to know when and where the card was tapped?
Its not a PRESTO card its a ticket.
Here are the term and conditions from link:
Using GO Transit e-tickets
Printed copies of e-tickets will not be accepted as a valid fare.
To use your e-ticket or pass, you will need to be able to access the confirmation e-mail using your mobile device and an internet connection (data or a Wi-Fi). You must activate your e-ticket before you board by clicking on the ticket(s) or pass links in your confirmation email from your mobile device. Allow five minutes for your ticket to activate. Once activated, single-ride tickets are valid for four hours, and passes are valid during service hours on the day of activation. Each e-ticket has unique ticket number and you must display this identifier on your mobile device to a GO Transit fare inspector on request.

In my experience it depends on the CSA.

For the Stouffville to Kitchener through service, almost everytime it is announced that the train becomes a Kitchener line train at Union. I don't know if many people take advantage of the through service but the stopping time at union was pretty short (or at least average for a train continuing through).

For the Stouffville to Kitchener through service, almost everytime it is announced that the train becomes a Kitchener line train at Union. I don't know if many people take advantage of the through service but the stopping time at union was pretty short (or at least average for a train continuing through).

I could see someone maybe getting off at Bloor GO if they work in the west end, etc.

seems like a great idea, but bad for fare evasion. Say you don't pay your fare and wait for the fare inspectors to show up. Once you see them, you can quickly pay on your phone.
They can probably verify WHEN the ticket was validated and if it is reasonable or not.

I can see this being useful for stations that only have one machine and it is down, or there is a line.
One time I was on a train passing South Barrie and there was a line for the ticket machine. People tried to hold the train for their friends but I saw one family that had to return to their vehicle because they didn't get a ticket in time.

Revenue is revenue. The alternative is that the fare inspector misses you and no revenue earned

Back