Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The Ontario Line gets a mention on PDF page 37 of the Metrolinx Business Plan posted here. Also, since there's be discussion on where it'll terminate in the west and the language (Ontario Place vs Exhibition), for what it's worth here's how the author of this report portrayed it.

5.2 Subways

Metrolinx, in partnership with the Province and Infrastructure Ontario, and in collaboration with the City of Toronto and other municipalities, will advance the delivery of new subway projects. The projects identified in the Province’s New Subway Transit Plan for the GTHA, for which Metrolinx will play a key role are:

• Ontario Line – Business case work, environmental assessment and preparation for delivery for a new 15km subway from Ontario Science Centre to Ontario Place/ Exhibition;
• Yonge Subway Extension - Preliminary Design Business Case for a 7.4km extension from Finch Station to Richmond Hill/Langstaff Gateway Urban Growth Centre;
• Eglinton West LRT
- Advancing business case and preliminary design work for a 14km extension of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT from the future Mount Dennis Station to Pearson International Airport;
• Line 2 three-stop east extension to Scarborough; and

The Ontario Line gets a mention on PDF page 37 of the Metrolinx Business Plan posted here. Also, since there's be discussion on where it'll terminate in the west and the language (Ontario Place vs Exhibition), for what it's worth here's how the author of this report portrayed it.

It may get a brief mention in this report, but if the PCs really wanted the Ontario Line to be built which I doubt, then they could could already be on the design stages by now, but so is the mysteries of transit planning in this province...

But how do you get it to Ontario Place - which is almost a kilometre further south?
Different sources are showing different things. Some show a combined station with the GO. The recent Ontario Place documents show one station at Bathurst/King and the next station somewhere south of BMO Field - which could, barely, actually serve Ontario Place.
It's a kilometre from the existing station - that would like be calling King subway station "Union". The current location has been seen as a barrier to success at Ontario Place for years - so that won't be called Ontario Place.

Doug Ford promised a station at Ontario Place. While it wouldn't surprise me if this is yet another lie, it's pretty clear from some of the documents that the thought was of station much further south.

Was Doug Ford lying?

I don't see this as a big issue. The Exhibition is just as good of an attraction as Ontario Place, better even given the current derelict state of Ontario Place. The multi-modal benefits are also apparent.

Anyone actually intending to head to Ontario Place is probably anticipating a full day of walking. As a kid I remember taking the streetcar to Exhibition and walking that distance to Ontario Place. The people heading to Ontario Place will walk that distance. For completion's sake, we could also build some sort of people-mover or other strategy through the Ontario Place RFP bids.

As for the south of BMO field description, please be aware that the map was produced by Colliers - a brokerage - not the Ministry or Infrastructure Ontario. It was likely a quick job done by some in-house graphic designer.

I don't see this as a big issue. The Exhibition is just as good of an attraction as Ontario Place, better even given the current derelict state of Ontario Place. The multi-modal benefits are also apparent.

Anyone actually intending to head to Ontario Place is probably anticipating a full day of walking. As a kid I remember taking the streetcar to Exhibition and walking that distance to Ontario Place.
With redevelopment, there aren't going to be kids walking all day. Development needs transit, which is what Doug Ford promised to Ontario Place ... or perhaps Doug Ford is lying ....

The people heading to Ontario Place will walk that distance. For completion's sake, we could also build some sort of people-mover or other strategy through the Ontario Place RFP bids.
How would the RFP bids include a people-mover when the information for the bid shows it isn't necessary with a station.

As for the south of BMO field description, please be aware that the map was produced by Colliers - a brokerage - not the Ministry or Infrastructure Ontario. It was likely a quick job done by some in-house graphic designer.
And yet it matches the media-report when the Toronto star interviewed that PC shill right after the original announcement.

With redevelopment, there aren't going to be kids walking all day. Development needs transit, which is what Doug Ford promised to Ontario Place ... or perhaps Doug Ford is lying ....

We might build both an Exhibition station and an Ontario Place station; Exhibition grounds are setup well for an elevated line.

That said, I think it's highly probable the next government will terminate the line at Osgoode.

We might build both an Exhibition station and an Ontario Place station; Exhibition grounds are setup well for an elevated line.

That said, I think it's highly probable the next government will terminate the line at Osgoode.

More likely it terminates at Queen and Spadina. I see no scenario where the 510 does not get alleviation of some sort by the Ontario Line.

More likely it terminates at Queen and Spadina
More likely the PCs renege on building it by 2027, and end up delaying it to the point, if falls off the radar - especially with the TTC and City now shutting down their own project to have it built by 2029. Nothing until well into the 2030s thanks to the Conservatives.

I don't think I agree. While downtown Toronto will never give him any votes for the OL, he will get votes from Scar & York Region for opening because it will help relieve the Bloor Line from the East and he knows he needs those York Region votes and a subway is a great way to get them but he also realizes that the Yonge ext can't open before the DRL/OL does. He may not get the whole thing open by 2027 but due to the transit centre/storage area being near Eglinton, that means that at a mini8mum the OL will open from Eglinton Yonge or University.

I don't think I agree. While downtown Toronto will never give him any votes for the OL, he will get votes from Scar & York Region for opening because it will help relieve the Bloor Line from the East and he knows he needs those York Region votes and a subway is a great way to get them but he also realizes that the Yonge ext can't open before the DRL/OL does. He may not get the whole thing open by 2027 but due to the transit centre/storage area being near Eglinton, that means that at a mini8mum the OL will open from Eglinton Yonge or University.
He can really just takeover the subway, give TO the finger and build the Yonge extension only. He can close some stations as he pleases such as North York Centre, Lawrence, Davisville, Summerhill, Rosedale and Wellesley to reduce usage. He can realize but still go through with his own plans. If TTC doesn't reroute their bus routes, he can takeover the bus system too and park them. He can shut all stations from Finch to Bloor and make it a York Region express if he really wanted. Nothing in the law prevents him from building the Yonge Line only. Will voters vote for them would be another question. Maybe enough voters will support the York Region express even if half of TO is pissed off.

He can really just takeover the subway, give TO the finger and build the Yonge extension only. He can close some stations as he pleases such as North York Centre, Lawrence, Davisville, Summerhill, Rosedale and Wellesley to reduce usage. He can realize but still go through with his own plans. If TTC doesn't reroute their bus routes, he can takeover the bus system too and park them. He can shut all stations from Finch to Bloor and make it a York Region express if he really wanted. Nothing in the law prevents him from building the Yonge Line only. Will voters vote for them would be another question. Maybe enough voters will support the York Region express even if half of TO is pissed off.

I would encourage him to try that.

AoD

I would encourage him to try that.

AoD
He won't do that because it does nothing for him politically, not because that's wrong. But an interesting proposition none the less. Same premise could play out using Sheppard or Bloor Danforth extension.

Sometimes we get in pissy moods and write stupid things. It must be the heat.

Governments are irrational and Mr Ford will never be anything other than a grinning idiot vastly unprepared for the office he holds, but the city needs transit and we are precious close to killing the golden goose that generates a large portion of the country’s and a huge portion of the province’s wealth.

This will happen. There will be hiccups. The sun will also come up tomorrow.

Nope. There are 3 groups of people:
  1. Those who never vote Liberal (i.e. the West).
  2. Those who vote Liberal when bribed (i.e Quebec and Atlantic).
  3. Those who vote Liberal regardless (Ontario).

Which proves what, exactly? Ontario always gets the bulk of infrastructure funding from the feds - which would illustrate that it doesn't matter which way anyone votes, you will get funding if you have a need for it and a plan to build it.

Back