News   May 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8.5K     9 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

g_meslin

Gil Meslin@g_meslin
14 mins ago
1. Welcome to Toronto, where apparently you should now wave a flag if you hope to cross the street safely. At a signalized intersection. By a school.

View attachment 191554
These are all over residential areas of Midtown now. On the one hand, they are very effective I find, as they are highly visible, and educative for kids to learn about road safety. I don't mind it because people are currently using residential areas as an expressway around Eglinton construction, something that locals who are from the neighbourhood don't tend to do as much.

On the other hand, what an absolute travesty that this is the state of affairs, where not even our residential roads are safe for children.

g_meslin

Gil Meslin@g_meslin
14 mins ago
1. Welcome to Toronto, where apparently you should now wave a flag if you hope to cross the street safely. At a signalized intersection. By a school.

View attachment 191554

This is an actual crosswalk.

This, in theory, should not require any further solutions.

That said, this reminds me of why I've never been a fan of PXOs

To me 'yellow' means slow down, not stop.

We have too many PXOs to make them all traffic lights.

Those, however, that merit it should really go that route.

Even if they are only pedestrian activated.

Those that don't merit it, on smaller streets, should really benefit from proper changes in road geometry.

Changes that shorten crossing points, narrow road/lane widths, intuitively encourage slower, more cautious traffic.

The PXO provides a false sense of security to the pedestrian and just isn't very effective, at least in Toronto.

On a seperate note.... There are four crosswalk signals that were placed at warden & hydro trail. Remember, this is a crosswalk signal for a 3 metre gap. there are crosswalks that cross arterial roads without signals sometimes.
dumb crosswalk signal.JPG

Last edited:
The suburban automobile-addicted councillors don't want anything that may impede the rapid movement of their automobile gods.
The chance is to have a Net Zero alternative. For every km that the speed limit is decreased, another speed limit is increased. Speed limits need to be reasonable, or they will be ignored completely.
If they keep ignoring ideas like this, the Zero Vision plan will fail.

Toronto ought to build more pedestrian overpasses, especially around highway ramps.

The chance is to have a Net Zero alternative. For every km that the speed limit is decreased, another speed limit is increased. Speed limits need to be reasonable, or they will be ignored completely.
If they keep ignoring ideas like this, the Zero Vision plan will fail.

What good is having a lower speed limit sign if the traffic lanes were built for highway speeds (100 km/h or higher)?

Has anyone tried doing 50 km/h as per the posted speed limit signs around the roads highways of Pearson Airport? We end up doing 60, 80, or even 100 because the lanes are very wide.

Toronto ought to build more pedestrian overpasses, especially around highway ramps.
That means separation of pedestrian and vehicular traffic. It keeps pedestrian safe, but it's a different approach than what's been advocated a lot around here.

I'm not keen on this idea. I'd rather remove the acceleration lanes all together in favour of T-intersections.

Make someone getting on to a highway come right up to a stop line and turn right.

Likewise off-ramps should end at a T-intersection.

It would save a lot of lives.

Subject to whether this triggers the need to lengthen the acceleration/deceleration lanes at highway level, this would also be cheaper than grade separating pedestrians.

Back