News   Mar 28, 2024
 456     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 307     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 328     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

Lets see if the ROW turns out to be like Phoenix. As for stations spacing, those who talk about having stations far apart should look at Phoenix systems where some stations are very close while the rest are a mile or 2 apart to see its not the way to go.

We stay a block from The Phoenix line, yet we were a mile away for a station in either direction and had to use the local bus on our street to get to the downtown station. Parts of the Phoenix Line has bus service for stops in between the LRT stations. Service is every 15 minutes with 2 70% lowfloor cars. A few 3 car trains run a peak time as well special events.

The gap between the platform and the LRV is small to the point no gap plate is require for accessibility riders. We had 4 scooters in our section at the same time.

It takes 90 minutes to go to end to end for the 26 mile line before the 1.9 mile extension open on May 18 after we had left Phoenix. The line carries 50,000 riders week day along a low density route. The extension goes through the centre of an roundabout that has traffic gates. Its the only one we saw for the system
48059401472_f5e4ba89b3_b.jpg

48059401627_f8aaf4ea94_b.jpg

48059216587_e7ba7505ce_b.jpg

48059216737_eff88f806a_b.jpg

48059216972_5a713019db_b.jpg

48058087713_b32ecbc54f_b.jpg

48058136417_abe91ff399_b.jpg

48058098028_3c3f6e91c8_b.jpg

48058146192_2d006b897e_b.jpg

48058100033_901a670f1b_b.jpg

48058146057_bd617d5011_b.jpg

48058145657_47b10ec145_b.jpg

48058090823_27710cd0a6_b.jpg

48058133127_bb043fc6ff_b.jpg

48058100988_0f514b6208_b.jpg

Last edited:
Option 4 was always the best of both worlds, choosing option 1 would be a horrible mistake, the area is just too busy for surface level Light Rail.

I'm wondering of Eglinton East can be incorporated into the 502/503 at a future date, perhaps a full on Kingston Road Light Rail line. Doubt ridership would be high enough to justify it however, and there's also the issue of track gauges.

Is there really much of a difference between LRT and Streetcars? Lets say you wanted to run them on the same gauge line, would anyone know the difference?

Maybe over time, the streetcar lines get converted to standard gauge and then there is no issue.

Is there really much of a difference between LRT and Streetcars? Lets say you wanted to run them on the same gauge line, would anyone know the difference?

Maybe over time, the streetcar lines get converted to standard gauge and then there is no issue.

Absolutely NOTHING to do with the track gauge. The Toronto subway is the same track gauge as its streetcars, yet it is still a subway.

So, what makes one not the other?
Nothing, other than what people want to call them. Tolley=Tram=Streetcar=LRV (light rail vehicle)=S-Bahn................CLRV= Canadian Light Rail Vehicle

Nothing, other than what people want to call them. Tolley=Tram=Streetcar=LRV (light rail vehicle)=S-Bahn................CLRV= Canadian Light Rail Vehicle
You're mixing up S-bahn with Stadtbahn again. S-bahn is more like GO trains, especially once they electrify the system with more frequent service.

S-Bahn is often also run on diesel engines. The Regional Express (RE) is from my experience electric only. The RE skips stops with lower passenger volumes and connect hubs faster. Re and S-Bahn often share the same tracks and the rail line is usually fully grade separated otherwise the high frequency is not feasible.
The Stadtbahn is running often in mixed traffic like in Munich, but can also run in a ROW like on Spadina in Toronto our Streetcar does. However, I am thinking that in certain cities the Stadtbahn is actually the metro like subway like I have seen in Stuttgart. In certain cities S-Bahn and Stadtbahn are very similar or maybe even the same.

S-Bahn is often also run on diesel engines. The Regional Express (RE) is from my experience electric only. The RE skips stops with lower passenger volumes and connect hubs faster. Re and S-Bahn often share the same tracks and the rail line is usually fully grade separated otherwise the high frequency is not feasible.
The Stadtbahn is running often in mixed traffic like in Munich, but can also run in a ROW like on Spadina in Toronto our Streetcar does. However, I am thinking that in certain cities the Stadtbahn is actually the metro like subway like I have seen in Stuttgart. In certain cities S-Bahn and Stadtbahn are very similar or maybe even the same.
I believe Stadtbahn is originally meant to be a the main metro system of a city with subway portion in the core. When German cities did the math, the figured that it would be too expensive to go with a full subway system, so instead they went with a partial subway with the possibility of upgrading the rest of the system one day. Stadtbahn isn't the 100% equivalent to the American term light rail which is may be a lower capacity system that might or might not serve the core. Stadtbahn systems are usually an upgrade of their Strassenbahn network with tunnels through the core while retaining grade separated or even mix traffic trackage. Platforms were upgraded to serve longer and high floor trains. With on street trackage, they are still govern under German Strassenbahn rules and limited to 75m for maximum train length.

Every city has a different definition of Stadtbahn, so one city might look like a streetcar while another would be closer to a metro line. Edmonton's system is more closely as a typical German Stadtbahn system with classical high floor trains and a tunnel through the core. The Finch West LRT is quite off from the originally envision Stadtbahn system in the 60s.

You're mixing up S-bahn with Stadtbahn again. S-bahn is more like GO trains, especially once they electrify the system with more frequent service.
Well my understanding being in Berlin and Hamburg that the S-Bahn is a 3rd power rail like TTC subway that runs in the same corridor as RER/local and intercity trains, as well their own line on the surface. Distance between stop various on all lines I rode. They are shorter than the RER/local and intercity trains stops.

U-Bahn is underground either 100% or a combination of both underground or surface. Rode a few lines. Its 3rd rail as TTC.
S-Bahn
8185528155_cc38a64743_b.jpg

8177317770_88fcec52d6_b.jpg

8174317891_14cf28aafa_b.jpg

8174271231_027cd81f86_b.jpg

RER are either Overhead or Diesel, depending where they are running to from the city.
8185507883_2a7896ce29_b.jpg

As someone who lives in the area, the community is more supportive of this then the Scarborough Subway. The EELRT is community building for the most neglected part of the city, while I do agree, section of the EELRT has to be grade separated (lawrence and morningside). Residents who need to get to downtown for work are better off taking the GO, getting around scarborough better off with network of LRT and BRT. Scarborough is way to spread out for a Subway to be effective for most riders and has been co opted as a slogan by politicians to appeals to residents who are misinformed and think LRT means there cars will be blocked by street car. Scarborough just doesn't need better transit but a better approach to city building, I think the golden mile tranformation will be a catalyst and hopefully change people's minds before we screw over scarborough for another generation.

This project came up in the SSE thread, so I figured I'd come and see if there were any new updates. As I read through the last few pages, this really stood out.

Thank you for posting this. As someone who travels to and within Scarborough, this post really nails the problem. There's a silent majority of Scarborough residents who are really suffering (relatively speaking of course) with the cancelation of the LRT network. This project and the 7 stop LRT to STC would've been transformative, and at least one of the projects would already be done. Now the subway, which doesn't really address inter-Scarborough travel, has been delayed, and this project seems to be on the shelf indefinitely. With the province uploading TTC rapid transit expansion, I can't see this project becoming a priority again anytime soon.

Hopefully a new government is elected in a few years that understands how important and critical this project is and also has the courage to invest transit dollars wisely.

There are no official plans at this time as to how the funds will actually be used. As usual, BlogTO headline is misleading and seems to be prompted entirely on this one-liner by the mayor.

"The City for its part, will be able to spend the more than $5 billion it had previously budgeted for transit expansion, toward urgently needed state of good repair, and to push ahead with other lines in our council-approved transit network plan not currently funded, such as the Eglinton East LRT and Waterfront transit," Tory said in a statement.

Overall a positive development, but still premature to be popping the champagne.

Something like that. But the City still requires the Provincial blessing which is what can be agreed upon during the subway upload. Without that blessing the term political interference would have a whole other meaning moreso when there is no guarantee the Federal Liberals would even still be in power post election

I believe both Tory and Ford are both intending to get the political wins they are looking for and there will be alot of noise in between. This would be great for the City as it can finally move on to address various overdue needs.

This is a big win for the City. There would be almost no support politically to overturn any of the lines moving forward and all areas of the City can see some of their overdue needs addressed in the next decade

There are no official plans at this time as to how the funds will actually be used. As usual, BlogTO headline is misleading and seems to be prompted entirely on this one-liner by the mayor.

"The City for its part, will be able to spend the more than $5 billion it had previously budgeted for transit expansion, toward urgently needed state of good repair, and to push ahead with other lines in our council-approved transit network plan not currently funded, such as the Eglinton East LRT and Waterfront transit," Tory said in a statement.

Indeed. Looking at Page 11 (below) TTC has nearly $7B in unfunded Line 1 projects.

That big $5.5B "Line 1 Capacity Enhancement" item, which isn't broken down in that document (received $2M in funding to study details) potentially includes things like additional entrances/exits, longer trains (7th car), etc. With the Ontario Line terminating at Eglinton, a large chunk of that package may be required to support the promised Yonge extension.

$5B for TTC SOGR over a 10 year period is barely treading water.

Last edited:

Back