News   Apr 23, 2024
 207     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 558     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

So what's the status of the LRT now? Is it cancelled? Is it still on? Or what?

John Tory talks a big game about finding ways to maintain this project's momentum, but every year at budget time refuses to raise property taxes beyond inflation or create new sources of revenue through the City of Toronto Act. Truly a lame duck mayor with no vision.

Wow. Sometimes I wonder if Doug Ford is ruining our transit system on purpose.

We are in the midst of upload discussions so no one can say for certain until that is finalized.

The only scenario this line goes to construction when its ready is the Province taking over the full subway cost and City will use SSE levy here. This has already been hinted at by the Conservatives under Browns campaign and based on the theatrics rallying around this line at he City I expect its still in the plan

Politically Doug cannot support or directly fund car lane removing, streetcar style transit in Toronto but he really wont care if its built by others. Especially when this line is heavily supported locally. All he cares for here is the control of the subway capital and votes.

Lets see when the dust settles.

We are in the midst of upload discussions so no one can say for certain until that is finalized.

The only scenario this line goes to construction when its ready is the Province taking over the full subway cost and City will use SSE levy here. This has already been hinted at by the Conservatives under Browns campaign and based on the theatrics rallying around this line at he City I expect its still in the plan

Politically Doug absolutely cannot support or directly fund car lane removing, streetcar style transit in Toronto but he really wont care if its built by others. Especially when this line is heavily supported locally. All he cares for here is the control of the subway capital and votes.

Lets see when the dust settles

Politically Doug absolutely cannot support or directly fund car lane removing, streetcar style transit in Toronto but he really wont care if its built by others. Especially when this line is heavily supported locally. All he cares for here is the control of the subway capital and votes.

Lets see when the dust settles

Maybe the Federals and the City will fund the line. They can't have any provincial interference.

Maybe the Federals and the City will fund the line. They can't have any provincial interference.

Something like that. But the City still requires the Provincial blessing which is what can be agreed upon during the subway upload. Without that blessing the term political interference would have a whole other meaning moreso when there is no guarantee the Federal Liberals would even still be in power post election

I believe both Tory and Ford are both intending to get the political wins they are looking for and there will be alot of noise in between. This would be great for the City as it can finally move on to address various overdue needs.

Last edited:
From today's City staff report:

Eglinton East LRT The proposed multiple-stop Line 2 East Extension could potentially change the demand for the Eglinton East LRT (particularly if a fourth station is built at Eglinton/Brimley). The extension may also impact the design of how the Eglinton East LRT connects to the rest of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT at Kennedy Station. Further, the Province’s future direction for rapid transit along Sheppard Avenue East could impact aspects of the Eglinton East LRT design. Travel demand modelling is being undertaken to analyze the impacts to demand in the Eglinton East corridor.

I get the impact on the design of EELRT that would need updated.

But to be overly concerned over impact ridership is absurd. The EELRT is currently a glorified local feeder and not real rapid transit to begin with. Its biggest benefits are reliability and sprucing up some warn areas. That's all its ever been and nothing changes that.

That's only if Doug Ford even decides to put the line the map ever again.

Doug Ford won't do that, but Eglinton East will almost certainly get built at some point. Just not in this round.

A subway station at Eglingon & Brimley will change the demand pattern a bit, but is not an obstacle to Eglinton East LRT. The light rail stop (surface) can be built closer to McCowan, expanding the coverage a bit, while still close enough to Brimley to connect the subway station and the light rail stop.

I get the impact on the design of EELRT that would need updated.

But to be overly concerned over impact ridership is absurd. The EELRT is currently a glorified local feeder and not real rapid transit to begin with. Its biggest benefits are reliability and sprucing up some warn areas. That's all its ever been and nothing changes that.

For people who want local rapid transit, the EELRT would be of benefit. Just like Line 1 below Bloor Street is a local rapid transit for the people in the area (in the non-rush hours, of course).

Toronto has more service in the non-rush hours by its buses, streetcars, and subways than do most North American cities (other than New York City). The 510 Spadina itself has more headway service on Sundays than most streetcar, light rail, or subways outside of Toronto. See link. The EELRT could be used for local transporation in the non-rush hours and not just for commuters to get to downtown.

For people who want local rapid transit, the EELRT would be of benefit. Just like Line 1 below Bloor Street is a local rapid transit for the people in the area (in the non-rush hours, of course).

Toronto has more service in the non-rush hours by its buses, streetcars, and subways than do most North American cities (other than New York City). The 510 Spadina itself has more headway service on Sundays than most streetcar, light rail, or subways outside of Toronto. See link. The EELRT could be used for local transporation in the non-rush hours and not just for commuters to get to downtown.

Again you are talking to someone who uses this route regularly and is not opposed to the line. But it's more of a vanity to improve priority areas then an improvement over the current bus.

Aside from better reliability it is a minor upgrade to the current express bus and has been planned very irresponsibly with a heavy fisted ideology from the start of the SMLRT removing vehicle lanes on two main arterials and lack grade seperation. This really hasn't helped it's case but has been improved somewhat as EELRT.

In conjunction with the subway line it will be great for beautification and as a reliable local travel and subway feeder when it gets built.

Last edited:
Again you are talking to someone who uses this route regularly and is not opposed to the line. But it's more of a vanity to improve priority areas then an improvement over the current bus.

Aside from better reliability it is a minor upgrade to the current express bus and has been planned very irresponsibly with a heavy fisted ideology from the start of the SMLRT removing vehicle lanes on two main arterials and lack grade seperation. This really hasn't helped it's case but has been improved somewhat as EELRT.

In conjunction with the subway line it will be great for beautification and as a reliable local travel and subway feeder when it gets built.

As someone who lives in the area, the community is more supportive of this then the Scarborough Subway. The EELRT is community building for the most neglected part of the city, while I do agree, section of the EELRT has to be grade separated (lawrence and morningside). Residents who need to get to downtown for work are better off taking the GO, getting around scarborough better off with network of LRT and BRT. Scarborough is way to spread out for a Subway to be effective for most riders and has been co opted as a slogan by politicians to appeals to residents who are misinformed and think LRT means there cars will be blocked by street car. Scarborough just doesn't need better transit but a better approach to city building, I think the golden mile tranformation will be a catalyst and hopefully change people's minds before we screw over scarborough for another generation.

One fact is traffic is not getting better in the future. Second fact is we can't afford subway everywhere. Third fact is transit isn't just for people to take between home and downtown.

A combination of sparsely spaced electrified railway and LRT network is better than a subway network that tries to accomodate for both local travel and downtown bound trips. I don't see that removing the HOV lane for a LRT lane is even a problem. The lane was designed for buses instead in which will be replaced by the LRT. This should actual speed up transit as buses are removed from live traffic. Grade separated transit doesn't contribute to higher ridership but instead makes it easier to drive around. The city should put an end to trying to accommodate cars knowing there is no future for them.

The city should put an end to trying to accommodate cars knowing there is no future for them.
Now I wouldn't go that far but I do definitely think and agree the City needs to stop putting Cars on a pedestal when it comes to urban planning. We need to be designing our communities for people not cars. It honestly feels like "Transit Users" are considered second class to car owners and that needs to change sooner, rather then later. We need to take a European/Asian approach to urban planning, not an American one. There is a time and place for cars to be included in planning however they should never be the 1st priority unless we're planning something specifically designed for cars (i.e. Highways).

Back