Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

As usual had to dig to page 6 to find the most important project we've been discussing for 7 years. I remain 65% convinced Great Gulf is praying for a slow-down so they can drop Gehry and do something practical.. I can think of zero reason this has drifted sideways, they are barely pretending to advance this. It was probably about 2-3 years ago Mirvish handed off a finished design to GG.

This rubbish is why you went back 6 pages to bump a thread?

This rubbish is why you went back 6 pages to bump a thread?
That's right Sherlock. No-one else is confused. When the most important residential project in TO history regularly goes silent for extended periods, that alone is worth commenting on. I'm happy to provide personal explanations to you as required. Wit us now?

It's cruel and unusual punishment to keep this thread going with the occasional bump. Let this go until there's a positive announcement, and then we can start salivating all over again.

I mean - here's your previous post on this thread prior to your complaint this week of nothing happening. From December .....

Another month has passed, any more non-news to report on this bizarre project?

A complaint about nothing happening.

These Sherlock skills are pretty great.

One thing i know from having Great Gulf here,
is when i see that first pile driver on site it will get built for sure...unlike other proposed fantasy projects that people are drooling about

One thing i know from having Great Gulf here,
is when i see that first pile driver on site it will get built for sure...unlike other proposed fantasy projects that people are drooling about

Sorry to say that you are going to be looking at a very, very long wait to see a pile driver here. With the density in this area - there are many city services under the abutting and adjoining area streets that would be very susceptible to vibration damage. There is the TTC service on King Street as well as many surrounding area legacy post and beam wood frame structures. No way the City would allow pile driver based retention walls for this excavation.

Now shoring machines would be another matter. And even conventional shoring machines may have their limitations for this site - as was pointed out by Keys with respect to the shoring around the Concord Canada House site ' TTC is usually sensitive about streetcar ROW's, so that may be a factor as well. They're probably using a caisson wall on that side'. (Page 84, Post 1247 https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-233m-69s-concord-adex-ibi-group.6394/page-84)

This project was first announced in 2012, it's now 2019. It's taking an usually long time to get this going.

Lots of land owners upzone to increase the price of land before a sale; it's often slow because they don't really care how long it takes (just the cost). This was an unusually public upzoning.

The real process with purpose to develop started October 2017.

I mean - here's your previous post on this thread prior to your complaint this week of nothing happening. From December .....

A complaint about nothing happening.

These Sherlock skills are pretty great.

I knew you'd catch on Sherlock. That is the very point!! Dec was 4 months ago. If there are no whispers or signs of activity I will say the same thing in August. Meanwhile some little guy everyone rooted against called Mizrahi, against all odds and real financing challenges is pouring concrete in 1/2 the time.

Is this the correct place to post this? Scaffolding on the King/John building.

20190629_101923.jpg

Is this the correct place to post this? Scaffolding on the King/John building.

View attachment 192539
I'm not sure if this is related to the Mirvish+Gehry project, it should be the heritage renovation project on 322 King St W? But it's good to know they are making progress

Last edited:

Back