News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 557     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 849     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

That's fine and it would be nice, however I fear any Provincial involvment will come with strings attached, specifically reuiqring these lines to be built in the most unproductive way. Look at the Eglinton West extension, there is zero justification for that line to be underground yet the powers that be insist it must be for reason I don't think anyone will ever understand. Whats to stop the Province from doing this to the EELRT and Waterfront lines and inflating both the price and scope of the projects? I don't like the Cities or Provinces unhealthy obsession with everything needing to be underground, and I have no doubt that any cooperation from the Province will come with these ludicrous strings attached.

As long as the Province doesn't have to fund them substantially i doubt they'll care. Keep in mind a good portion of the Crosstown on the east side is already sadly neutered into having poor grade separation. There is really no reason to push for full separation then what we are already designing East and there really is political points to earned compared to the central Scarborough connections.

I think the support for the EELRT from both residents and institutions is underestimated. The central SELRT and SLRT support was fragile to say the least, this line is completely different and will continue to be pursued.

Last edited:
These LRT lines are far from dead.

Tory Twitter

"I will also be asking our city and TTC staff to identify a way in which we can accelerate work on the Eglinton East LRT and Waterfront transit projects as a city. These are important community and employment connectors and I want to see us continue to move them forward. "
I'll be blunt here, Tory is just a laughing stock when it comes to transit. This man is the one who employed stalling tactics to the Waterfront West project for no good reason whatsoever, and was all but prepared to completely turf the Eglinton East LRT to get his delusional 1-stop subway to Scarborough Centre until Keesmaat came up with a compromise plan.

Now he's going to "ask" how they can accelerate work on both? Give me a break with that non-sense.

Reactions: syn
I'll be blunt here, Tory is just a laughing stock when it comes to transit. This man is the one who employed stalling tactics to the Waterfront West project for no good reason whatsoever, and was all but prepared to completely turf the Eglinton East LRT to get his delusional 1-stop subway to Scarborough Centre until Keesmaat came up with a compromise plan.

Now he's going to "ask" how they can accelerate work on both? Give me a break with that non-sense.

Tory has always vocally supported what residents want in all areas of the City. Thats the best he can do in a one vote council and limited funding option in the City. The Mayor of Toronto has very little power to be held accountable for the collective incompetence of council or lack of funding tools at the municipal level.

Without a doubt we would be in better shape right now if they left the subway alone or atleast kept the Lawrence stop in design. Stripping the subway was a joke from a planner motivated with politician dreams. Fact is even Tory voted for the Lawrence stop to be added back.

The two biggest issues in the City are politicians from having a lack of respect for other areas and the City having limited funding abilities to fund respectful plans residents from all areas can support. Neither of these are Torys fault

If anything I believe he understands exactly what is going on with the supported subway lines being uploaded at the Provincial level and will now work towards securing funds for the supported LRT lines. He's a great ambassador that deserves more credit for not having power to actually do anything himself.

Last edited:
As long as the Province doesn't have to fund them substantially i doubt they'll care. Keep in mind a good portion of the Crosstown on the east side is already sadly neutered into having poor grade separation. There is really no reason to push for full separation then what we are already designing East and there really is political points to earned compared to the central Scarborough connections.

I think the support for the EELRT from both residents and institutions is underestimated. The central SELRT and SLRT support was fragile to say the least, this line is completely different and will continue to be pursued.
If EELRT has to be buried, it would never be built. The city never had a plan for a subway on the east side of town for Eglinton. The cancelled Eglinton West subway terminated at Eglinton West Station. The former City of Etobicoke pushed for a subway instead of a BRT and got nothing till maybe soon (if the city/feds back the extension with $$$)? I think the city is best designed for a mix subway/LRT network oppose to everything RT built must be grade separated. If they were to spend more money, I rather they extend it to Sheppard and Malvern than to bury along Eglinton.

Although a subway portion east of Kennedy Station makes more sense than the section between Science Centre and Kennedy stations. Downtown direction traffic will offload at Kennedy and take the faster Line 2. There is no need to overbuild the LRT.

If EELRT has to be buried, it would never be built. The city never had a plan for a subway on the east side of town for Eglinton. The cancelled Eglinton West subway terminated at Eglinton West Station. The former City of Etobicoke pushed for a subway instead of a BRT and got nothing till maybe soon (if the city/feds back the extension with $$$)? I think the city is best designed for a mix subway/LRT network oppose to everything RT built must be grade separated. If they were to spend more money, I rather they extend it to Sheppard and Malvern than to bury along Eglinton.

Although a subway portion east of Kennedy Station makes more sense than the section between Science Centre and Kennedy stations. Downtown direction traffic will offload at Kennedy and take the faster Line 2. There is no need to overbuild the LRT.

Key intersections could and should be grade-separated though. Bottlenecks like Eglinton/Kingston and the West Hill triangle are not conducive to pedestrians accessing the LRT line at level crossings. I'd also recommend the two GO commuter rail crossings (Eglinton GO and Guildwood GO) be grade-separated, and a underground station on the main campus of UTSC, like what was done for York U. That's five grade-separations out of a 17 km line or probably 25% of the whole line's length.

Honestly, and sadly, there is no chance to begin EELRT in the next 10 years, if the City goes on to co-fund Doug Ford's humongous subway plan. All funds that the City can direct to transit, will be consumed to pay for its subway share.

Perhaps that's the right thing to do; deal with the core lines first, add secondary lines later. But, people living close to the potential EE LRT route are not the winners today.

Honestly, and sadly, there is no chance to begin EELRT in the next 10 years, if the City goes on to co-fund Doug Ford's humongous subway plan. All funds that the City can direct to transit, will be consumed to pay for its subway share.

Perhaps that's the right thing to do; deal with the core lines first, add secondary lines later. But, people living close to the potential EE LRT route are not the winners today.
That was the problem with Transit City. It planned all the smaller lines (some which should have been core), and had no core lines. Zero extra capacity within the downtown area (Dufferin to Don Valley and Front to St. Clair.

The core subway lines should have been done decades ago.
That was the problem with Transit City. It planned all the smaller lines (some which should have been core), and had no core lines. Zero extra capacity within the downtown area (Dufferin to Don Valley and Front to St. Clair.

The City pitted itself with Core lines vs. Local feeders and many politicians involved refused to budge.

This was insanity.

Atleast now we have the Province capable and willing to deliver Core lines. It's now up to the City to finish the local branches. All indications are they will continue to pursue these lines as the sole transit capital focus moving forward will be local improvements

Last edited:
Key intersections could and should be grade-separated though. Bottlenecks like Eglinton/Kingston and the West Hill triangle are not conducive to pedestrians accessing the LRT line at level crossings. I'd also recommend the two GO commuter rail crossings (Eglinton GO and Guildwood GO) be grade-separated, and a underground station on the main campus of UTSC, like what was done for York U. That's five grade-separations out of a 17 km line or probably 25% of the whole line's length.

Some of what you suggest is in fact part of the plan now:

Kingston-Lawrence-Morningside Options Report

U of T Scarborough Options Report

Can everyone here who is in support of the Eglinton East (and the Waterfront LRT) email Tory and your local Councillor to move forward with this project. If the city has to go it alone, so be it. These parts of the network need to be built and the Mayor and Councillor need to hear from us that this is important to the voters.

Back