996     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 637     0 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like it or not, the Liberals are electable and the NDP aren't.
I dont know...are they electable if they’re more or less indistinguishable from the NDP? They certainly weren’t in the last election. And do they have any credibility at all if they try to row back to the centre under a new leader?

I dont know...are they electable if they’re more or less indistinguishable from the NDP? They certainly weren’t in the last election. And do they have any credibility at all if they try to row back to the centre under a new leader?
I always said that the NDP are a more ethical version of the Liberal Party - unfortunately, ethics are not that important to the progressive voter.

Nothing in political history provides justification for such a confident statement. I mean, Alberta would only ever elect conservative governments, right?

As of today the NDP are not electable, and they haven't done anything over the last few months to change that perception. There needs to be a huge narrative shift if they intend to displace the Liberals as the natural alternative.

Last edited:
As of today the NDP are not electable, and they haven't done anything over the last few months to change that perception. There needs to be a huge narrative shift if they intend to displace the Liberals as the natural alternative.
Some say that was the fault in strategy that Mulcair had federally.
He could have focused on making the NDP the natural left party by concentrating on the Liberals. Instead, he constantly went after a rather smart and effective CPC. He did manage to shake some votes loose, but they went to the Liberals. It takes more than 4 years for the public to decide to abandon the "natural governing party". The other problem is that the NDP candidates are very weak and too extreme - although Trudeau manage to win a similar weak field and with very few bright stars - many of whom have embarrassed themselves since the election.

Am I wrong with interpreting Del Duca's announcement basically saying that the Liberals were out of touch and that they need 5tor move further to the left?
If that is the correct interpretation he is out to lunch.

I think we’re in for two terms of Ford, and then like with Harris, Ontario will return to the Libs.

8 years would be the right amount time needed for the Liberals to reform and rebuild. They have a lot of soul-searching to do at the moment. Going to the left of the NDP has opened up the void in the centre-right that only the PCs currently can seem to fill.

Nothing in political history provides justification for such a confident statement. I mean, Alberta would only ever elect conservative governments, right?

Which was obviously a fluke protest vote, just like the waning popularity of the federal NDP ever since their heights under Jack Layton in 2011.

8 years would be the right amount time needed for the Liberals to reform and rebuild. They have a lot of soul-searching to do at the moment. Going to the left of the NDP has opened up the void in the centre-right that only the PCs currently can seem to fill.
It’s such a dumb thing that Wynne didn’t step down and have someone else run.

I don't see Keesmaat joining the race. Her mayoral campaign team was 70/30 NDP/Liberal organizers, which would make running as a Liberal challenging, in addition to being an F-U to the people who supported her.

Am I wrong with interpreting Del Duca's announcement basically saying that the Liberals were out of touch and that they need 5tor move further to the left?

Once the race is underway, I wouldn't be surprised to see if Del Duca plays a more centrist position, especially with the all that pro-development, pro-business Vaughan money coming his way.

Last edited:
With that uncharismatic clown at the helm, they'd be dead in the water. Surely Liberal insiders are well aware of that.

Which was obviously a fluke protest vote, just like the waning popularity of the federal NDP ever since their heights under Jack Layton in 2011.

Actually, while the overall odds still might not be in their favour, the Alberta NDP are faring far better than the federal NDP did post-Layton, or the ONDP post-Layton. (In some ways, Notley '19 is more like Levesque '81.)

It’s such a dumb thing that Wynne didn’t step down and have someone else run.
Unfortunately that's a big part on why Doug Ford got his majority. Kathleen was despised almost everywhere and she was misguided enough not to listen (to be fair she had a history of not listening to people in general whether that be her advisers, or Ontario residents).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back