Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I'd love for the Jays to build their own PNC park in the Portlands or at Ontario Place, but the trend in baseball stadiums for years has been to move closer to downtown. And the way the city has grown around the dome, they probably have one of the best central locations for a stadium in the league. It would be tough to give that spot up (not even factoring in that they don't own the land under the dome).

The "trend" to put stadiums downtown is due in large part to the huge success of Skydome. Toronto's downtown is thriving because that's where the activity is - all the fans either come downtown or stay downtown for events. Restaurants and bars flourish and downtown stays alive. More and more cities began to model their cities after T.O. as our downtown doesn't turn into a ghost town after the office workers went home - as is the case in most American cities.

This has been amplified now as more and more people are living downtown in these new condo buildings.

The Oakland A's are getting a Bjarke Ingels

OAKLAND-A-S-HOWARD-TERMINAL-SKYLINE-IMAGE-COURTESY-OF-BIG-BJAR.png

I was slightly jealous until I had a closer look. Not feeling that at all.

Anyone have any details on the work being done on the south side roof? Looks like they are putting a new membrane over the old in some sections.

I believe they were replacing the snow melt system on that panel of the roof.

City building permit site suggests this

Proposed removal of existing PVC membrane layer and damaged insulations and replacement with new PVC membrane and insullation for an existing sports enertainment stadium. *Rogers Centre*

Proosed removal of existing snow melt systems along the east and west gutters of panel #2, along with all associated piping and components. Installation of new snow melt systems along the east and west gutters of panel #2, along with all associated piping and components "Rogers Centre"

Anyone have any details on the work being done on the south side roof? Looks like they are putting a new membrane over the old in some sections.

I’m spending New Year’s day with my friend’s family and one of the guys is working on the SkyDome. They have a 2 year contract to replace the sarnafil roofing. So much for replacing it with a glass roof to grow a grass field.

One of the original contractors who’s in his 70s was called back to supervise the project. Here’s them applying the roofing in ‘89.

A18DBC76-98AE-4A22-A0D2-0A2C7736943D.jpeg

https://www.mlb.com/bluejays/news/blue-jays-mark-shapiro-addresses-media

On where things stand with possible renovations at Rogers Centre:

Shapiro:
"We continue to make changes on a daily basis. There is going to be a new roof this year. We're going to finish a major infrastructure waterproofing project around the building, which is really important because the foundation of the building was having some major issues with erosion and water issues. We have done some major rebranding of the 100 level of the concourse, I think you're going to see a major difference in signage around the building. We continue to talk about some other larger-scale issues. We're obviously doing the premium club as well. But the larger-scale project is mainly being run and taken over at an ownership level because it is large in scale. It does involve more than Rogers Centre. That's really the extent that I can talk about it right now. I'm excited for us to get involved in that when the time is right, but we're moving on undeterred and thinking about 'How do we improve the building year to year,' and this year we will unveil quite a few changes to that building."

Likely integrating the north section to Rail Deck Park (if that ever happens) to the west but also any MTCC expansion to the east.

Likely nothing too crazy. If they were tearing down and rebuilding the stadium we would know it by now.

A $400 - $500 million renovation isn't a small task. At no point would anybody consider a complete teardown and rebuild either.

Back