News   Apr 18, 2024
 180     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

On the TTC they already have unique sounds for each type of fare, other than low-income fares. But at the end of the day there's not much stopping people if their card makes the child sound. It isn't an operator or collector's job to do stop people who refuse to pay the right fare, so they're not gonna do much other than say "you can't do that".
While operators are told that it's not their job to enforce fare policy (see posting from an operator on Steve Munro's blog), it is surely good to have different sounds/colours on the PRESTO machines as the fare inspectors can watch them (or listen to them) on vehicles and at subways stations. It IS their job!

On the TTC they already have unique sounds for each type of fare, other than low-income fares. But at the end of the day there's not much stopping people if their card makes the child sound. It isn't an operator or collector's job to do stop people who refuse to pay the right fare, so they're not gonna do much other than say "you can't do that".
But at least this opens the possible for better enforcement based on the audio played. The current operators, inspectors, collectors, and CSA’s may not do anything about it, but they could in the future if proper regulations come and the infrastructure is already there.

The current operators, inspectors, collectors, and CSA’s may not do anything about it, but they could in the future if proper regulations come and the infrastructure is already there.

It's not the lack of sound that's stopping them. It's just not their job. This is no different than the LCBO theft news stories... unless it's explicitly your job to enforce these rules, you're not going to do anything other than say "please don't do this". They're not taking the risk of the fare evader (or booze thief in the LCBO's case) turning violent and hurting them.

A rare streetcar fare inspection yesterday. This time it was by plain clothes inspectors who had these TV cop show style police badges on chains they flashed at everyone when they got on. It was hard not to burst out laughing. The inspector took my pass and sighed, telling me, "just to let you know, I see you have a pass, but if you tap on it would help make my inspection faster as the first screen shows you haven't tapped in four days." I responded "I'll try to remember that." Note, it took him approximately an extra two seconds to check that I did indeed have a pass. He had clearly memorised the finger-swipe entry for this process and did it instantly.

Here's an idea TTC. Upgrade your crappy inspection app that doesn't show or check all necessary data and stop humiliating your inspection staff making them beg for me to tap on because two seconds is actually a detriment to their work and someone who didn't pay probably bailed out of the streetcar in that time.

A rare streetcar fare inspection yesterday. This time it was by plain clothes inspectors who had these TV cop show style police badges on chains they flashed at everyone when they got on. It was hard not to burst out laughing. The inspector took my pass and sighed, telling me, "just to let you know, I see you have a pass, but if you tap on it would help make my inspection faster as the first screen shows you haven't tapped in four days." I responded "I'll try to remember that." Note, it took him approximately an extra two seconds to check that I did indeed have a pass. He had clearly memorised the finger-swipe entry for this process and did it instantly.

Here's an idea TTC. Upgrade your crappy inspection app that doesn't show or check all necessary data and stop humiliating your inspection staff making them beg for me to tap on because two seconds is actually a detriment to their work and someone who didn't pay probably bailed out of the streetcar in that time.

Wow I have to say. How old is that inspection app look?

Wow I have to say. How old is that inspection app look?
The same problem exists on the UPX on-board inspection. As with the TTC, you are not required by Law to 'tap-on, tap-off' when transferring if you have an open ticket on the trains. It's in fact advised against by middle level staff, as it lends itself to glitching.

More seasoned staff on UPX are able to 'read back' on checking fares to see you have an "open ticket" on the Presto Card, and there's not a problem.
TV cop show style police badges on chains they flashed at everyone when they got on.
lol...I won't be able to resist: "Yo, kool bling Dude!"

Btw: The rate of defective Presto readers on streetcars and buses has skyrocketed lately. Had a long discussion with a bus driver on it yesterday. Most staff are resigned to it and don't care about a system they never asked for or wanted.

Last edited:
By not tapping even though you have a monthly or any kind of pass you are denying the TTC ridership stats - and therefore when/if cuts are made you will have no right to complain.
When they eliminate King streetcar service you can all blame me.

^ There's serious questions as to if and how the TTC are actually using the data, and if it can realistically be used as claimed. Munro has some pieces on that. I had one ready to post earlier, and decided not to bother.

During the two hour window, sometimes I tap, sometimes not, depending how easy it is or not. I usually have my arms tied with an 85 lb Black Lab and other items, and pushing people out of the way to get to the Presto machine is one freakin' hassle too many. I've paid, it was marketed as 'hop-on, hop-off' and I'm holding them to that.

I produced my card whenever asked, and it's never been an issue.

I don';t get what the big deal people have with tapping their cards when thy have a metropass on it just do it there is no reason not to. I do it all the time with every gate or i go through or vehicle get on to when its in station or on the road.

I don';t get what the big deal people have with tapping their cards when thy have a metropass on it just do it there is no reason not to.
I do if the machine is working, but lots of reasons not to.

Surely there's always risk pulling the card out of wherever, that you'll drop something, etc. Often my hands are full ... I can well see why may will opt not to do so now it's optional.

Back