News   Mar 28, 2024
 938     0 

Toronto’s Disappearing Main Streets: Buildings and Businesses

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Description
Join ACO Toronto for our 2019 Heritage Symposium, Toronto’s Disappearing Main Streets: Buildings and Businesses. This one-day symposium will engage and expand on the theme while also developing tangible solutions. Featuring speakers from a range of perspectives including: architects, municipal officials, developers, heritage consultants, landscape architects, urban planners and more, the symposium will also include visual and historical account of this shifting landscape. The topics explored will range from taxation and development; form and transportation; to zoning and changing retail. The symposium will provide an excellent opportunity to discuss the city’s changing landscape from multiple vantage points.

End free parking in the suburban malls, office parks, and visitor parking lots. User pay.

all_chairsloseparking_graphic_z.jpg

From link.

It's private property, how do you force a mall to charge for parking? Presumably, the property owner is paying property taxes on the lot already.

Property tax is based on the value of the property. So charge property taxes for the parking lot at the same value of the buildings on it.

Better yet, charge a fee based on each parking slot added to the garbage & water bill as a flood prevention fee.

Likely easily absorbed by most large malls. So, what if they say go ahead, tax us, we're still not charging for parking.
It depends on the level of the tax. Commercial landlords are pretty rational, so at the margin this proposal should nudge them to reduce parking in the long run. At least some of those vast surface lots could be redeveloped to higher and more profitable uses.

It depends on the level of the tax. Commercial landlords are pretty rational, so at the margin this proposal should nudge them to reduce parking in the long run. At least some of those vast surface lots could be redeveloped to higher and more profitable uses.
I live in Cabbagetown and never take transit to the Eaton Centre. Instead we drive, since weekend parking is about the same as transit for the four of us. And to be honest, even if parking was twice as much as transit I’d still drive. Charging for parking does not reduce the demand for parking at malls, but improving transit might. Nearly every time I get on the 506 there’s some crazy vagrant muttering to themselves, or it stinks, and it’s over crowded, usually late. I can often walk to the Yonge subway before a streetcar arrives. People take the TTC because due to financial or other reasons they have no choice other than to suffer its indignities and inconveniences. Instead of trying to make car use equally as arduous, why not make the TTC the better way?

I live in Cabbagetown and never take transit to the Eaton Centre. Instead we drive, since weekend parking is about the same as transit for the four of us. And to be honest, even if parking was twice as much as transit I’d still drive. Charging for parking does not reduce the demand for parking at malls, but improving transit might. Nearly every time I get on the 506 there’s some crazy vagrant muttering to themselves, or it stinks, and it’s over crowded, usually late. I can often walk to the Yonge subway before a streetcar arrives. People take the TTC because due to financial or other reasons they have no choice other than to suffer its indignities and inconveniences. Instead of trying to make car use equally as arduous, why not make the TTC the better way?
Because Toronto.

Streetcars do stink. On the 511 the other week i got on a packed street car and a few stops later got off and waited for the next one, the streetcar smelt like someone had a bowel movement in their pants. ?

Streetcars do stink. On the 511 the other week i got on a packed street car and a few stops later got off and waited for the next one, the streetcar smelt like someone had a bowel movement in their pants. ?

511 doesn't even run with streetcars right now. It runs with Hybrid Electric buses

They had a few streetcars running on that route near the end of February. The route is mostly done by bus.

511 is operated only by buses, my guess is you got on a 506 Bathurst Stn car, that goes up Bathurst from College to Bathurst Stn and back

Back