Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

As I understand it, Lululemon might be moving into the vacated J Crew space. Lulu is above Abercrombie, with Ann Taylor in between it and current Apple. Does that mean Apple might expand up from Abercombie into a few units?

I had been considering that myself and upon investigating, I found that Canada Goose is actually taking Apple’s current space. What’s happening is that CF is reorganizing that end of the mall with quite a big shuffle, moving high end flagships closer to Saks whereas Queen Street would be high end brands like Harry Rosen, Tesla, and Apple and Dundas more accessible, lower end brands like H&M, GAP, and Samsung (lol, sorry had to).

This isn’t a perfect model since stores like Abercrombie would be near the Queen end of the mall and Nordstrom near the Dundas end but the Queen Street side of the Eaton Centre is going to change considerably over 2019.

I have some new details. The new Apple Eaton Centre is being modelled on Melbourne's Chadstone mall update.

The one exception to the design is that there won't be trees inside the store. Instead, Apple has secured rights to extend the aesthetic of their store out into the mall with their signature tree planters and benches under the Eaton Centre's atrium.

The new Abercrombie across the hall is opening in April or early May. Apple will take possession of the space then and start building their new store which is expected to open in time for the holidays.

I have some new details. The new Apple Eaton Centre is being modelled on Melbourne's Chadstone mall update.

View attachment 173980
View attachment 173981

The one exception to the design is that there won't be trees inside the store. Instead, Apple has secured rights to extend the aesthetic of their store out into the mall with their signature tree planters and benches under the Eaton Centre's atrium.

The new Abercrombie across the hall is opening in April or early May. Apple will take possession of the space then and start building their new store which is expected to open in time for the holidays.
Too bad, so boring. Had a lot of potential to do something different but they go the easy way and just do a generic store.....

Too bad, so boring. Had a lot of potential to do something different but they go the easy way and just do a generic store.....
That's pretty much the norm for anything in a mall. They need a decent parcel of land to execute their more impressive flagships

The beauty will be in the details. Limestone walls, chargers hidden in the tables, perfectly calibrated lighting and mercifully, better ventilation.

There’ll also be an area designated specially for repairs so that you don’t have people flooding the general space to get their broken screens fixed.

As for a unique store design, I think we’ll see that at The One.

More news: visitors to the Eaton Centre coming in from the Queen Street entrance will be greeted by a flagship Tesla Showroom.

Tesla is replacing both M0851 and Armani Exchange. This will also give Tesla a Yonge Street address.

View attachment 170944

Along with the redevelopment of 2 Queen W into an extension of Harry Rosen and a glass showcase for a Tesla car, the Eaton Centre’s Queen Street presence is going to change quite a bit over the next year or two. My hope is that Oakley either moves out or is forced to open up their windows, inexplicably closed up with iron grating.

According to this article Tesla will be closing most of their retail stores. i wonder if that includes this one?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...el-3-sees-loss-in-first-quarter-idUSKCN1QH2VM

I just came here to post that. To be fair, Elon Musk said that they’ll still leave some showrooms open in each market as an advertising vehicle rather than a place to sell cars but there’s already one at Yorkdale. I have my doubts that this is going ahead at Eaton Centre.

On the bright side, at least we know that Cadillac Fairview knows the importance of opening up their Queen Street entrance with a flagship store.

^I disagree, that beige blank wall was more aesthetically pleasing than this run-of-the-mill glass we're seeing. I'm really hoping that the glass the ends up fronting Yonge Street isnt this bad.

So they didn't reclad the west side of Nordstrom when it was renovated (I still see Eaton's ochre panels below the new glass)?

Thankfully. The back side of the Eaton Centre is quickly becoming the only part displaying the original architectural intent of the complex.

^I disagree, that beige blank wall was more aesthetically pleasing than this run-of-the-mill glass we're seeing. I'm really hoping that the glass the ends up fronting Yonge Street isnt this bad.
Neither the previous blank wall nor the inspiration-free new glass wall do any real favours to Holy Trinity Church, the Rectory, nor the Henry Scadding House. They are all gems of a mostly disappeared past, which the Eaton Centre has mostly turned its back on since it went up. I still say it's better to have windows facing the buildings than not, but I wish some more consideration had been given to a more textural framing of the new window bays to add some visual warmth instead of the all too common blue/green/gray back-painted spandrel that Toronto developers cannot currently get enough of.

Back