News   Apr 16, 2024
 177     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 677     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 476     3 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

As at other locations, the fact that the traffic light shows a "regular green' rather than a green arrow (or arrows) is clearly confusing. I realise that using only green arrows at junctions like this (another is Victoria @ Adeaide, southbound) would mean changing Ontario traffic regulations

As at other locations, the fact that the traffic light shows a "regular green' rather than a green arrow (or arrows) is clearly confusing. I realise that using only green arrows at junctions like this (another is Victoria @ Adeaide, southbound) would mean changing Ontario traffic regulations
All you have to do is stand there, and watch - and see that some drivers look very confused sitting on a red they can't go through, looking up, looking around, and sometimes even changing lanes and turning rather than going straight through.,

Some is simply disobedience, etc. A surprising portion though is confusion. As I've mentioned before, I lightly heckled a couple of drivers who'd just ran through and were stuck behind a stopped streetcar, and both thanked me and did a U-turn! Wasn't what I was expecting ...

It boggles me why there aren't any signs before intersections to funnel cars into the right lane ahead of time. Something like this, maybe hung from the streetcar wire supports like the old reserved lane signage.
(Ideally the yellow markings in the left lane would be enough but the concrete surface can make those hard to notice in full daylight)

I vaguely recall these big bright LED supplementary directional signal boxes (as in the pic above) installed at Yonge & King a year or two ago. Does anyone remember what happened to those?

It boggles me why there aren't any signs before intersections to funnel cars into the right lane ahead of time. Something like this, maybe hung from the streetcar wire supports like the old reserved lane signage.
View attachment 174957
(Ideally the yellow markings in the left lane would be enough but the concrete surface can make those hard to notice in full daylight)
Yes but the "regular" green light tends to be THE most visible and the proliferation of signs needs to be properly looked at and rationalised; the City has a bad habit of simply adding another sign and with signage more is not necessarily better!

I vaguely recall these big bright LED supplementary directional signal boxes (as in the pic above) installed at Yonge & King a year or two ago. Does anyone remember what happened to those?
Those were removed as part of the pilot, iirc, with the reasoning that they were only meant for restrictions that vary by time of day.

If the King St Pilot becomes permanent, I really hope they install some sort of "gate" or "entrance" on both ends on King St.

While we're all aware of the intricacies of this area, most people visiting or out of towners wouldn't have a clue as to them, it's just a continuation of a regular street. With a gate or entrance, it would at least signal that they are entering a more pedestrian friendly area and would be more observant of the signage and rules.

If the King St Pilot becomes permanent, I really hope they install some sort of "gate" or "entrance" on both ends on King St.

The gate arm on Queens Quay was relatively cheap; $60k IIRC. If it proves effective and reliable (it's only been 3 or 4 months) then that's a suggestion you should bring forward for the final design process.

I think the biggest thing that would help when permanent, is get rid of the solid green indication (or stop using it outside of the times that taxis are permitted). While signs are an issue, users generally respect traffic signals. Have right turn arrows, the white bars for streetcars, a signal for bicycles, and pedestrian signals, and basically always keep the red indicator on (except when taxis are permitted at night). I would think this would work better, plus you would have a fine for running a red for people who go through.

The gate arm on Queens Quay was relatively cheap; $60k IIRC. If it proves effective and reliable (it's only been 3 or 4 months) then that's a suggestion you should bring forward for the final design process.
I was thinking more along the lines of a Karlstor in Munich (the concept of it, not quiet the look). A physical gateway vs barrier.

I had the exact same thought, but I don’t think this jives with the HTA.

I was thinking of that too, but I don't think there is anything there that is specifically prohibited by the HTA, unless someone can point something out.

Back