News   Mar 28, 2024
 363     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 365     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 711     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I tap on it for my own data collection too mainly because I like to see where it says the bus is, sometimes it has it in a wrong location. I have also tapped on shuttle buses too. Pretty much anytime I transfer from the subway to a surface route I'll tap on it, mainly because the surface routes update their readers more frequently the fare gates do.
Have anyone on the bus every asked you why you’re tapping or if any gave you weird looks?

What do you expect? It makes sense that people would be confused when seeing this.
I don't expect anything. The TTC has said many time over that you are supposed to tap your presto card when getting on a bus or streetcar even if you are transferring in a station. Whether it's for research or payment it shouldn't matter. It also makes sense right now they don't currently have data on what a persons trip through the system, looks like on any given day and it will change even further once they eventually add tap outs to the subway sytem,

I don't expect anything. The TTC has said many time over that you are supposed to tap your presto card when getting on a bus or streetcar even if you are transferring in a station. Whether it's for research or payment it shouldn't matter. It also makes sense right now they don't currently have data on what a persons trip through the system, looks like on any given day and it will change even further once they eventually add tap outs to the subway sytem,

With the 2-hour transfers on PRESTO, tapping on each entrypoint would help in recording ridership.

Do you really think other passengers care? Most are just trying to get from A to B. They aren’t scrutinizing other passengers’ tapping behaviour.
I don't tap on at all on the streetcar anymore as I have the Metropass loaded. If anything, I scrutinize other passengers and wonder if they are fumbling around for their pass in their pockets to tap on while holding up the line because they don't understand they don't need to do that with a Metropass. It still looks like 90% of Presto users tap on and I can't believe even half of them don't have a Metropass on their card.

I don't tap on at all on the streetcar anymore as I have the Metropass loaded. If anything, I scrutinize other passengers and wonder if they are fumbling around for their pass in their pockets to tap on while holding up the line because they don't understand they don't need to do that with a Metropass. It still looks like 90% of Presto users tap on and I can't believe even half of them don't have a Metropass on their card.
TTC has been very clear in saying that they expect people with passes on their card to tap. I'm not sure then it's fair to say that they don't need to do that with a Metropass loaded.

TTC has been very clear in saying that they expect people with passes on their card to tap. I'm not sure then it's fair to say that they don't need to do that with a Metropass loaded.
If you have a Metropass you don't need to tap on when boarding a streetcar. The TTC can 'expect' whatever they want but over time, probably not a very long time, it's obvious the number of people who will do that will drop down to near zero.

From the TTC website, at this link:

What is the difference between a TTC Monthly Pass on PRESTO and a Metropass?

The Metropass was discontinued on December 31, 2018. TTC Monthly Passes are now only available on PRESTO.

The only difference between a TTC monthly pass on PRESTO and a Metropass is that you need to tap your PRESTO card on a card reader instead of showing it to a collector, operator, Transit Fare Inspector, or swiping it on a fare gate.

From the TTC website, at this link:

Realistically if you do not tap on a streetcar and get stopped they can nail you for not paying a fare. It is the same as not putting money in when boarding via the rear doors of a CLRV and not having a metropass. Your fare is not validated until your card is tapped.

Just because you have a monthly pass on Presto does not mean you do not have to tap. It is the same as in London UK. If you board a bus there and do not tap the Oyster reader you will be booted off the bus even if you have a valid pass.

Back