News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 681     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 939     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Beware "crazy Marxist nonsense" like campus radio, dental plans and health insurance...

The premier in the latest PC party fundraising appeal: "Students were forced into unions and forced to pay for those unions. I think we all know what kind of crazy Marxist nonsense student unions get up to. So, we fixed that. Student union fees are now opt-in."

The one 'student fee' that I would have favoured outlawing is now quite common fee to support one or more capital projects on campus.

That's what the tuition and government support are supposed to cover.

The idea that you need to go back to students yet again, to pay for new student centre, sports stadium or library is just too much.

That fee should be outlawed (not opt in or out, just gone)

Then the $ raised by it should be replaced by proper core funding.

Student fees bankroll ‘crazy Marxist’ councils, says Premier Doug Ford

From link.

The Progressive Conservatives ended mandatory ancillary student fees to tackle the red menace.

That’s the message of the governing party’s latest fundraising email blast sent Monday titled “How broken was education?”

“Students were forced into unions and forced to pay for those unions,” Premier Doug Ford said of the fees that helped to bankroll student government.

“I think we all know what kind of crazy Marxist nonsense student unions get up to. So, we fixed that. Student union fees are now opt-in,” said Ford.

The move last month, which was hailed by Conservatives and panned by student groups, was in conjunction with the government’s 10 per cent post-secondary tuition cut and revamp of the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).

“For all of their talk, the Liberals never lowered tuition. So, we did. We cut tuition by 10 per cent across the board,” the premier said.

“What are the Liberals saying about it now? That we’re gutting the system. These guys are nuts,” he said.

“Take OSAP. A family bringing in $170,000 a year was still getting $2,000 in grants. Sorry folks, but government grants should be for people who need it most. So, we fixed that too.”

Last month, the Tories, who defeated the Liberals in June, scrapped the previous “free tuition” program for 230,000 post-secondary students in favour of lower tuition for everyone.

The new government also replaced the grant program with a more loan-oriented system.

Student fees, which can add as much as $2,000 a year to post-secondary costs, fund numerous on-campus activities and clubs, including newspapers.

Only programs that support transit, health and wellness — like athletics, walk-safe programs or counselling — and career services will be mandatory.

Liberal MPP Mitzie Hunter (Scarborough-Guildwood), the former post-secondary minister, said Ford “knows literally next to nothing about student unions.”

“He seems to think his opt-out plan will help students and de-fund radical organizations. What he will actually de-fund are diversity clubs, student newspapers, (LGBT) centres, food banks, walk-home programs, Indigenous centres, and other important programming,” said Hunter.

“Under Ford’s plan only the wealthiest Ontarians benefit — those who never qualified for OSAP in the first place.”

The College Student Alliance has already reached out to post-secondary minister Merrilee Fullerton about the PC fundraising appeal.

“It’s disappointing to see the language used toward democratically elected bodies, as we know the value of on-campus student representation,” said Brittany Greig, president of the alliance that represents college student associations across the province.

“Student unions provide essential services, like academic appeal assistance and food banks, that will be missed should they no longer exist. We urge the government to reconsider the ‘student choice initiative,’ and we are dedicated to helping them develop a better policy.”

Greig also said alliance members are concerned about the government talking about students “opting in” to fees they want to pay, rather than having them opt-out of those they don’t want — worried that would further erode support for different activities.

When the government announced the move to end mandatory fees, student groups said they had not been consulted on changes that have a huge impact on campus life.

At the time, Greig had said that student associations are there to “hold institutions accountable for decisions surrounding fee increases, programming, or strategic plans,” and warned that breakfast programs, student government and other clubs and activities could disappear.

Coincidentally, Ford’s own parliamentary assistant, MPP Stephen Lecce (King-Vaughan) was president of Western University’s student council in 2008-09.

Some 26 former Western university students’ council presidents sent Lecce an open letter three weeks ago urging him to convince the premier to reconsider the fee change.

The question I have to Doug is, how do you know? You dropped out of Humber College, after two months. Couldn't complete a semester. Couldn't go to university. "Luckily", he got a job at the family business, without the skill set needed.

From link.

The question I have to Doug is, how do you know? You dropped out of Humber College, after two months. Couldn't complete a semester. Couldn't go to university. "Luckily", he got a job at the family business, without the skill set needed.

Doug does NOT know WKLis. I repeat, Ford does NOT know. Because, he was too lazy to stay in school, and got a job at Deco Labels, but I went to Deco Labels once and got bad service that was terrible ( that section after "I went" is made up ), but still...

Though I am certainly not in favour of allowing student fees to be optional, I am afraid the current scandal about the Ryerson students and their credit card expenses is not going to help the cause!

Wasn't a central figure in that scandal at a Ford Fest or similar photo-op?

Bryan Leblanc @bryan_leblanc
53m

The hard work of Interim Leader @JohnFraserOS and grassroots Liberals is showing results. Door by door, lots more to do. Liberals in the lead for the first time since October 2016: new Ontario horse race numbers from Innovative Research. OLP: 31% PCPO: 28% ONDP: 20%

Well now.

How much do parents of autistic kids think the Ontario taxpayers should be giving them? Should there be any limit? And if no limit, what do we cut elsewhere to afford this?

Shall we also cap the cost of your heart surgery? How about your cancer treatment? Maybe you'd like us to cap the cost of how long we sustain you while you're in a coma?

Is there a limit? Of course there is one somewhere, based on medically sound advice in terms of what treatments are effective and how much they are needed.

However, if parents cannot afford to care for their children the alternative is not the money magically arrives from the money tree...................its that they surrender custody to the state, who will then pay the full cost of the child's needs, not merely their medical costs.

This province isn't broke.

Raise sales tax to its normative level (15%) with a 2 point rise, as was done by Quebec and every Atlantic province and you have an extra 7B per year.

Raise Corporate tax for all-types of business to 13% (well below all time highs) and you get another 4B or so.

That more or less wipes out the deficit.

Real GDP growth (greater than inflation) gives the province a boost by 3-5B in revenues in a typical year.

Throw in savings of 2B per year by merging the public and separate schools and abolishing all school boards.......and were rolling in cash, with a 5-7B surplus within 2 years.

Its a choice.

How much do parents of autistic kids think the Ontario taxpayers should be giving them? Should there be any limit? And if no limit, what do we cut elsewhere to afford this?
How much do car owners think Ontario taxpayers should be spending on roads? How much do ruralites and suburbanites think Ontario should be spending on highly inefficient gas/sewer/power/water infrastructure?

We all get services back from what we put in from taxes; singling one out as though it’s somehow wasteful because it doesn’t affect you is just representative of todays’s “conservative” mindset.

Besides which, parents aren’t asking for money to be given to them, they’re asking for services. Services are better served by economies of scale, instead of a sliding scale slush fund for individual management.

How much do car owners think Ontario taxpayers should be spending on roads?
I don’t do rhetorical questions, so I stopped here. My questions are genuine. Parents are complaining that the $140,000 lifetime cap for autistic children is not enough. So, how much should it be? Should there be any cap? We have caps on other government assistance and programs. Perhaps Ontario’s autistic program services should be entirely government provided, with no lineups, waiting lists, etc. and focused on achieving the best results at any cost. That’s certainly the approach I would want if cost was no object.

I don’t do rhetorical questions, so I stopped here. My questions are genuine. Parents are complaining that the $140,000 lifetime cap for autistic children is not enough. So, how much should it be? Should there be any cap? We have caps on other government assistance and programs. Perhaps Ontario’s autistic program services should be entirely government provided, with no lineups, waiting lists, etc. and focused on achieving the best results at any cost. That’s certainly the approach I would want if cost was no object.

There should be NO cap, some children may need more intensive help and extra attention. If we, as a society are not providing the help required when it is needed or when time requires it, these young children will reach adulthood without skills to function in this fast society and become a ward of the welfare system for life. So where are the savings then? Health & mental problems should be fully funded without caps or lifetime buyout. Does that make more sense? Or is there any further need to explain?

From link.

It is kind of funny though, because the council slate that is central to the scandal was voted in because Ryerson students were tired of the previous, legitimately Marxist, council.

If we, as a society are not providing the help required when it is needed or when time requires it, these young children will reach adulthood without skills to function in this fast society and become a ward of the welfare system for life. So where are the savings then?
IDK, you tell us.

Back