Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

It fails on a lot of levels.
2. Random ranges of numbers that daily commuters might know as track numbers, but if you're expecting that level of knowledge from the viewer, what's the point of the sign in the first place?
What else would you put? Words to describe what the numbers are? I thought the train symbol got around the nomenclature problem as well as possible by avoiding track, gate or platform.
The numbers may seem like excess data until you have read a departure monitor, determined your gate/track/platform and now seek a specific number.
3. Not modular - the station is nowhere near done, buildings change names, and there was obviously no forethought on how to update these things.
Well, they do use decals to update names, etc.
The system assumes too much knowledge from viewers, when in reality, those who have enough knowledge of the names and numbers on the signage don't need it that much.
I cannot say I disagree, but again I’m trying to imagine other stations I’ve seen that are clearer. The big fix, showing arrows under the information to group it better, may be difficult due to already low clearances in some places.

How about ... they create an app of all maps requiring for navigating around Union Station, inculding, GO and TTC,the PATH, etc.
I presume Google Maps will only show a detailed map of the station (see the multi floor diagram of Eaton Centre) once construction is done. Pity. Openmaps...?
Isn’t there precedent for internal mapping of British train stations, which can be convoluted even when not under renovation ?

^ Metrolinx undertook a study on this: WAYFINDING HARMONIZATION PROJECT
[...]
The concept of a Network Identifier was approached considering a balance between the practical requirements including visibility as a landmark, clarity at different scales, simplicity and uniqueness. Five guiding principles informed the concept design. 1. Identify transit: Easily recognizable to unfamiliar and new transit users. 2. Inclusive: Legible, memorable, simple and useable at different sizes without loss of clarity. 3. Mode neutral: Representative of all public transportation modes and types. 4. Brand neutral: Symbolic of a coordinated, regional network. 5. Timeless: High quality, adaptable design.

The Residents Reference Panel, convened during the review of the Regional Transportation Plan, helped inform the concept. Wayfinding design experts facilitated a workshop with the Panel, which brought forward the following comments and suggestions: • The symbol must work across physical and digital uses. • The colour should be neutral to avoid confusion with operator brands. • The symbol must be simple, uncluttered and clear. • Abstract and illustrative symbols are friendlier than letters. • Using the Metrolinx or PRESTO logos would add to confusion. • Letter symbols would not be unique enough for a smart phone app icon.
[...]
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/greaterregion/projects/docs/wayfinding/MX-Factsheet-Wayfinding(L-0).pdf

Here's where things may have 'diverged' from best practice (many orgs have studied this) and note Metrolinx' own conclusion: "Using the Metrolinx or PRESTO logos would add to confusion."

'Too many cooks...Too many masters...'

Wayfinding Systems: Uniting Union Station
November 4, 2015
[...]
Based on existing station plans and its own pedestrian traffic studies, Entro developed a series of wayfinding flowcharts to list all major pedestrian access routes to and from transit.

“We had to define the wayfinding routes and sign locations before we could develop standards for message sizes based on viewing distance,” explains Randy Johnson, senior associate at Entro. “It was the most complicated project I’ve ever worked on.”

Accessibility
Another important area of study was accessibility. Given the large numbers and diversity of Union Station’s passengers, Entro considered the needs of low-vision, mobility-impaired and non-English/French-speaking users. The company also had to coalesce GO Transit, Via and TTC signage guidelines into its best practices.
[...]
Heritage in design
Entro’s sign designs also had to be informed by Union Station’s heritage designation, as enforced by Parks Canada. This means any installation of new signs must be sensitive to the integrity of the building’s surfaces and finishes, with as few drill holes as possible, ensuring they can be removed at some point in the future without causing damage.

In addition to Parks Canada, the project required co-ordination with and buy-in from other stakeholders, including the municipal government, Metrolinx and GO, Via, the TTC and several nearby commercial and tourism attractions, including the Fairmont Royal York Hotel and, perhaps most notably, the Air Canada Centre (ACC), which is directly attached to the station and draws more traffic than any other single ‘tenant.’

With all of these factors in mind, Entro’s team decided to echo the motif of Union Station’s grand pillars in a series of rectangular sign ‘modules’ framed in decorative elements, which would be installed upright at key decision points throughout the facility. Elsewhere, overhead directional sign modules would be ceiling-mounted with as few attachments points as possible, in horizontal configurations. And outdoors, large letters would spell out ‘Union Station’ at both the east and west ends of the building.

Parks Canada approved Entro’s preliminary, fixed and technical drawings throughout the design process, which wrapped up in late 2012.
[...]
“The concept is the same basic vision as we started with and hasn’t veered off much from the approvals,” says Aleks Bozovic, design director at Entro, “but along the way, there were many changes requested, which has meant a lot of juggling of final designs.”
[...]
https://www.signmedia.ca/wayfinding-systems-uniting-union-station

The phrase "Design by Committee" was never so true...
I presume Google Maps will only show a detailed map of the station (see the multi floor diagram of Eaton Centre) once construction is done. Pity. Openmaps...?
Isn’t there precedent for internal mapping of British train stations, which can be convoluted even when not under renovation ?
Design Guidelines & Specifications Draft date 17:03:11 Managed Stations Wayfinding
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/137521/response/332469/attach/2/L2 Signage Managed Station Guidelines.pdf

^ Metrolinx undertook a study on this: WAYFINDING HARMONIZATION PROJECT
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/greaterregion/projects/docs/wayfinding/MX-Factsheet-Wayfinding(L-0).pdf

Here's where things may have 'diverged' from best practice (many orgs have studied this) and note Metrolinx' own conclusion: "Using the Metrolinx or PRESTO logos would add to confusion."

'Too many cooks...Too many masters...'

Wayfinding Systems: Uniting Union Station
November 4, 2015

https://www.signmedia.ca/wayfinding-systems-uniting-union-station

The phrase "Design by Committee" was never so true...

Design Guidelines & Specifications Draft date 17:03:11 Managed Stations Wayfinding
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/137521/response/332469/attach/2/L2 Signage Managed Station Guidelines.pdf

You can only do things one way or another as they all say.

Has it been noted that the doors between the “central” moat and the Front St Promenade have been blocked off? We’re talking the area between security and the Danish Pastry Hüs, at the base of the west-most stairs from the Great Hall (a ‘turning’ staircase omitted from the diagram).
If this image is of any use (originally from here, before my excellent markupping) then I realize retail is proposed to fill this small zone, which is kind of disappointing. I like the space, and to boot, I did not ken that the moatwalk to the subway, marked here as a Carriageway, would be such a non-‘porous’ tube. I reckon that’s where the digital/moving art installation is to be.
0DA6E365-50A8-417F-9572-B9AD61CC08A9.jpeg

Has it been noted that the doors between the “central” moat and the Front St Promenade have been blocked off? We’re talking the area between security and the Danish Pastry Hüs, at the base of the west-most stairs from the Great Hall (a ‘turning’ staircase omitted from the diagram).
If this image is of any use (originally from here, before my excellent markupping) then I realize retail is proposed to fill this small zone, which is kind of disappointing. I like the space, and to boot, I did not ken that the moatwalk to the subway, marked here as a Carriageway, would be such a non-‘porous’ tube. I reckon that’s where the digital/moving art installation is to be.
View attachment 173524

I have never noticed this. Thanks for pointing this out, but I didn't know before your posting about this. Maybe the door was blocked because of the construction? But then there would be no fire access...

I am not sure why you are concerned, there are 3 or 4 sets of doors where I marked the blue arrows below. These were exposed the other day and the area outside them in the Carriageway looked pretty finished to me. I agree that the art piece is going in the Carriageway.
union.jpg

I am not sure why you are concerned, there are 3 or 4 sets of doors where I marked the blue arrows below. These were exposed the other day and the area outside them in the Carriageway looked pretty finished to me. I agree that the art piece is going in the Carriageway.
View attachment 173542
The spot you have marked with the blue arrows are the doors that take you up to the ramps to the sidewalk.

Those doors (between Security and Danish Pastry House) have been closed off for as long as I can remember.
Yes, they are now boarded up in such a way that it prompted me to check the floor plan. Until this change I thought the closure was temporary and had somehow expected them to reopen.

The doors by Tims are already open (late last year) and lead to the York/Front moat.
Yes, I have used them often in last couple of months but there are more doors between the Tims and the Danish Pastry Shop that have been closed for several years and which also lead to the "Carriageway". They were open a week or so ago while work was going on and I think they are going to open them for us soon, other disagree. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Back