News   Apr 15, 2024
 989     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 658     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

so now that $1.5B expense per year means that DRL and other infrastructure spending gets delayed. I suppose that what people wanted.

Considering the tax reduction of $3B/yr, one should hardly talk about delays in infrastructure spending because of "what people wanted".

AoD

The logical thing to do was for SK to be full day, while leaving JK as half day. That's what happens when politics get involved. although Ford may have released this as a trial balloon, because I think it would be political suicide at this point in time.
so now that $1.5B expense per year means that DRL and other infrastructure spending gets delayed. I suppose that what people wanted.

Where in Mr. Ford's campaign material was a rollback of JK to 1/2 day?

(hint: it wasn't)

Ergo this not a fiscal excuse for anything, because it was in place prior to his election, he was aware of it, and did not run on changing it.

Further, based on what studies do you draw the conclusion that 1/2 day JK would be better public policy? If you're going to displace children for 1/2 the day, I assume you're advocating new childcare spaces, lest thousands of parents have to quite their jobs to look after their no longer in-school children.

In which case, how much money is saved?

Just wondering.

Last edited:

Ergo this not a fiscal excuse for anything, because it was in place prior to his election, he was aware of it, and did not run on changing it.

Further, based on what studies do you draw the conclusion that 1/2 day JK would be better public policy? If you're going to displace children for 1/2 the day, I assume you're advocating new childcare spaces, lest thousands of parents have to quite their jobs to look after their no longer in-school children.

Just wondering.

Umm, I doubt much money is saved changing kindergarten from full to half day...

Just wondering.
WAS.
I used the past tense, referring to when it was brought in.

I also said it was political suicide to do it now.

Doug sure is making a lot of unforced errors. He is doing damage control on health care and full day kindergarten at the same time.

WAS.
I used the past tense, referring to when it was brought in.

I also said it was political suicide to do it now.

You expressly implied a delay in committed spending due to the expense of full day JK.

Both expenses were already committed too.

Ergo one cannot delay the other.

You would have to assert that the DRL was previously delayed.

(which in the sense of never having been pursued, in a serious way would be true......going back to the early 20thC)

But there has not been any delay thus far since the first tangible commitment to pursue the project.

Doug Ford
@fordnation

#ICYMI: Ontario is cutting red tape for trucking, saving commercial carriers time, money and fuel. Pre-clearance technology will quickly identify high-risk trucks to the Ministry of Transportation, while trucks with good safety records receive an alert to bypass the stop.

So, he wants another Humboldt accident?

I am not a fan of privatization but I have not heard many meaningful progressive solutions to fix health care in our country apart from

"its the best in the world and it's not like the USA, We are the Champions, STFU"

"let's throw billions more at it and not fix any structural issues"

Imo one of the key things is to get people away from hospital and back to see doctors again.

I am not a fan of privatization but I have not heard many meaningful progressive solutions to fix health care in our country apart from

"its the best in the world and it's not like the USA, We are the Champions, STFU"

"let's throw billions more at it and not fix any structural issues"

Imo one of the key things is to get people away from hospital and back to see doctors again.

I just don't think that privatization of healthcare would do any good.

I just don't think that privatization of healthcare would do any good.

That is my point, we think only in extremes about the Canadian health care model.

That is should be fully public which does not even exist in many better European health care systems or that we will have the American Health Care system.

The issue is that I see long term is that health care will cripple our govt budgets but it will lead to just decent or okay at best for all.

Last edited:
we think only in extremes about the Canadian health care model.
Perhaps for this vacant generation. Any of us from older generations have seen the birth of social medicine in this nation, and know a lot more about how we do in the world (Canada is about 'middle of the pack' by western standards). Ontario is a lot better off than it was when 'Physician's Services Inc' ran the show.

I see they still exist as a 'foundation' by Googling for this!
Physicians’ Services Inc.
Initially created as an alternative to private commercial medical insurance programs, Physicians’ Services Inc. was formed in 1947 as an independent company with majority control vested in the Ontario Medical Association. The plan provided its subscribers with a complete range of medical, preventive, diagnostic and treatment services for monthly rates ranging from $1.50 for individuals to $5 for families. The success of Physicians’ Services Inc. was demonstrated by its enrolment of 20,000 members in its first year and its continuous growth to over 1.7 million subscribers by 1967. The plan, like Associated Medical Services Inc. and Windsor Medical Services Inc., introduced participating doctors and subscribers to the benefits of medical services insurance, as well as the limitations of prepaid plans — another step on the road to medicare.

< Previous | Next >

https://www.historymuseum.ca/cmc/exhibitions/hist/medicare/medic-4c04e.html

What Ford would/could come up with would be like the US model, one of the worst in the developed world, and *by far* the highest cost per service rendered. Some private systems, like Switzerland's (I believe handled nationally rather than cantonal) are considered the best value in the world, it is private, but tightly regulated by and delivered with the government. France, Sweden and other nations have excellent hybrid systems, user pay, but with very high levels of quality.

Whether the average Ontarian has a grasp of all this or not is questionable. They were idiot enough to vote for a moron and his band of cretins.

Hey, when's the game on TV? How about those Leafs eh?

Back