Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

There are more technical details in the Falling Ice and Snow Assessment that incidentally discusses elements not covered well in the Architectural Plans

<image removed since the report - though available on the AIC - may be privileged>

AoD

Attachments

• 1547252554924.png
    1547252554924.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 944
Last edited:
Im really liking these new videos @Koops65. Keep it up! :)

It's probably too early to know, but which tower do they plan on marketing/building first? East or West?

There are more technical details in the Falling Ice and Snow Assessment that incidentally discusses elements not covered well in the Architectural Plans - e.g. the canopy:

(RWDI/GG/GI)

AoD

Now we’re talking! This is Frank Gehry. Now, all I hope for is that he lives to see it built. The man is turning 90 next month. Hurry up! .

Last edited by a moderator:
Translation: "The canopy should be designed/redesigned so that it actually serves as a canopy and not a random form-making exercise that deposits ice and water onto pedestrians' heads and faces below."

Lobby issues, massive delays in finishing the common spaces, delays in finishing the outer skin, and the standard occupancy delays and elevator issues (not as common with GG). Not sure if I missed anything?

What he said. GG just seamed overmatched for this one. Common spaces had to be over a year delay. I really hope they learned from this and will do a bang up job here.

I'm going to be so old when this is finally built. :p

If it's built something close to as-rendered, we'll have an epic retort for the Toronto pessimists/haters on our hands:
People will. look, at this and ask was the architect drunk or something or was somebody blind that approved it this whole building is as ridiculous as one of the ones at MIT that the students hate but it won a bunch of aratetuale awards despite the fact that it's not a very functional building.

I'm sure any remaining naysers will end up looking as ridiculous as those that opposed the CN Tower 50 years ago. These buildings will grow to become a representation of Toronto itself. Future generations will be unable to imagine the city without them. This symbolism will be far more powerful than architecture alone ever could be. What a legacy to leave your hometown.

I really hope my kids look at these buildings in amazement, the same way I looked at the CN Tower when I was a child (and I'm still in love with that thing lol) :p

Last edited:
I'm sure any remaining naysers will end up looking as ridiculous as those that opposed the CN Tower 50 years ago. These buildings will become so innately "Toronto", that we couldn't imagine the city without them. What a legacy to leave your hometown.
I wouldn't-compare this to the CN tower at all the CN tower was built to be a tourist attraction this is being built for who knows what actual reason. The problem with it is its form over function. How will people get to the upper floors that are offset from the main part of the building will they have to take multiple elevators, there are many questions that can be asked about it.

Easy - they take the dedicated elevators 8 and 9 that go from the GF to the 90th floor.

I wouldn't-compare this to the CN tower at all the CN tower was built to be a tourist attraction this is being built for who knows what actual reason.The problem with it is its form over function. How will people get to the upper floors that are offset from the main part of the building will they have to take multiple elevators, there are many questions that can be asked about it.

I don't think any of that matters at the end of the day. I haven't been up in the CN Tower in 15+ years (indeed, most people I know have been there only once), but I still hold it close to my heart. The CN Tower is important is important because it symbolizes our city and country, not because it's an observation tower.

I don't expect that M+G will become as strong a symbol as the CN Tower (by virtue of its height alone), but given how unique and stunning it is, I'm sure they'll come to be instantly recognizable as a symbol of our city.

I'm sure any remaining naysers will end up looking as ridiculous as those that opposed the CN Tower 50 years ago. These buildings will grow to become a representation of Toronto itself. Future generations will be unable to imagine the city without them. This symbolism will be far more powerful than architecture alone ever could be. What a legacy to leave your hometown.

I really hope my kids look at these buildings in amazement, the same way I looked at the CN Tower when I was a child (and I'm still in love with that thing lol) :p

Well said.

It really is a shame that the twilight of Gehry‘s life has coincided with the boom of Toronto’s.

The AGO was just an appetizer and I wouldn’t have been satisfied with that. These towers and their contribution to street life and the public spaces they’ll create on Mirvish Way and King are really fantastic and will transform this city by breaking that height barrier and showing us what’s possible with beautiful architecture and fun whimsical spaces.

That said, at the risk of sounding greedy, I would have wanted pieces of Frank Gehry all over the city in the way Gaudi is seen in Barcelona. A dancing house over here, an auditorium over there, a park further down, sculptures sprinkled around.

Gehry was born here but LA is really his home. I don’t blame him for spending most of his life there and not building more in Toronto but I have my fingers crossed that he’ll spend more of his final years leaving a legacy in this city.

I don't expect that M+G will become as strong a symbol as the CN Tower (by virtue of its height alone), but given how unique and stunning it is, I'm sure they'll come to be instantly recognizable as a symbol of our city.
Yup as yet another city and developer that caved to "creative" architecture. I'm sure there are going to be people that absolutely love it but there are going to be more people that won't give a crap about it

Back