News   Mar 28, 2024
 51     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 540     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 351     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I think the impact of that trend would depend on the degree of difference between the sexes.

Worth saying here is women currently vote more than men in national elections in Canada.

There was spread of 2.3 points greater participation rate in the 2015 election and an even larger spread in the election before that.

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rec/eval/pes2015/vtsa&document=table2&lang=e

That said, its worth noting that 'hate' or simply strong dislike is a more of a driver to turnout than contentment or indifference.

Yeah I think the Tories had a semi-interesting candidate I think they would be giving Trudeau a lot of trouble in 2019 I think.

Looking at polling for the Federal Parties it seems Trudeau popularity is being shaped by gender.

He is very popular with females and not very popular with males.

Now the issue is that in the long term if this continues or if the gap grows wider, the chances of a populist type government taking control federally grows higher because I noticed the general same trendlines in other countries where populists have gotten more popular or actually won power.

I notice this myself that my female friends generally love Trudeau but my male friends think he is a horrible leader.

Because Scheer is some kind of manly man? I am not a super fan of the Prime Minister, but given the choices, I will stick with the Liberals for now. If the CPC ever decides to act like a centre-right party again, I will take notice, but they have gone full Trump now.

Yeah I think the Tories had a semi-interesting candidate I think they would be giving Trudeau a lot of trouble in 2019 I think.

Agreed. The CPC should get used to being in opposition at this point.

Because Scheer is some kind of manly man? I am not a super fan of the Prime Minister, but given the choices, I will stick with the Liberals for now. If the CPC ever decides to act like a centre-right party again.
You're saying the CPC is too close to the centre? That's why the People's Party opened up.

You are dense. It is a right wing populist party now, with an anti-immigrant stance. At the risk of losing support to the PP party, they are adopting the same tactics.

Anyway, I am following the live tweet of the town hall in Regina. It seems to be a tough crowd, not one hand picked for soft questions. I can't see Scheer doing a town hall without a hand picked audience and questions chosen in advance. Basically what Harper did before the last election. Also keep in mind that Saskatchewan is not friendly Liberal territory, with Goodale as the only MP for the whole province. They even bucked the original Trudeaumania.

Last edited:
You are dense. It is a right wing populist party now, with an anti-immigrant stance. At the risk of losing support to the PP party, they are adopting the same tactics.

Anyway, I am following the live tweet of the town hall in Regina. It seems to be a tough crowd, not one hand picked for soft questions. I can't see Scheer doing a town hall without a hand picked audience and questions chosen in advance. Basically what Harper did before the last election. Also keep in mind that Saskatchewan is not friendly Liberal territory, with Goodale as the only MP for the whole province. They even bucked the original Trudeaumania.
It's in Goodale riding is it not?
I doubt Scheer would do these campaign style tours across the country because it appears somewhat unethical to campaign using government money.

It is pretty soft populism right now. They were forced to move in that direction due to Bernier(Which was the genius behind the Bernier move even is the party completely flops) However, Scheer does not have the charisma to pull off a full populist platform in my opinion and will be running a center right campaign with some homage being payed to obvious immigration errors by the Trudeau government..

I'm all for drinking and driving laws but sitting at home drinking after you drove home sober could get you an impaired is absolutely mind boggling to me.

Police in Canada can now demand breath samples in bars, at home

It may sound unbelievable, but Canada’s revised laws on impaired driving could see police demand breath samples from people in bars, restaurants, or even at home. And if you say no, you could be arrested, face a criminal record, ordered to pay a fine, and subjected to a driving suspension.
You could be in violation of the impaired driving laws even two hours after you’ve been driving. Now, the onus is on drivers to prove they weren’t impaired when they were on the road.

“It’s ridiculous, it’s basically criminalizing you having a drink at your kitchen table,” Paul Doroshenko, a Vancouver criminal defence lawyer who specializes in impaired driving cases, told Global News.

Sounds unconstitutional....it will be interesting to see if that stands up to a court challenge.

I'm all for drinking and driving laws but sitting at home drinking after you drove home sober could get you an impaired is absolutely mind boggling to me.

Police in Canada can now demand breath samples in bars, at home

It may sound unbelievable, but Canada’s revised laws on impaired driving could see police demand breath samples from people in bars, restaurants, or even at home. And if you say no, you could be arrested, face a criminal record, ordered to pay a fine, and subjected to a driving suspension.
You could be in violation of the impaired driving laws even two hours after you’ve been driving. Now, the onus is on drivers to prove they weren’t impaired when they were on the road.

“It’s ridiculous, it’s basically criminalizing you having a drink at your kitchen table,” Paul Doroshenko, a Vancouver criminal defence lawyer who specializes in impaired driving cases, told Global News.

So on Friday night i stop at the LCBO get a bottle of wine. I now have to wait 2 hours just i

I'm not.

New drunk-driving rules have minorities ‘scared’ of over-policing, advocates say

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2...es-scared-of-over-policing-advocates-say.html
The thing I absolutely love is that people like Trudeau are ok with violating the rights of the majority but if a minority complains they are all over it? It is completely illogical. The law should have never been passed but the reasoning is that it violates the rights of EVERYONE.

Oh the human rights violations! Call Louise Abrour!!! Seriously, we’re not exactly talking the Armenian genocide here. I’m routinely stopped by Australian cops for random breath checks at all days and hours, and never with probable cause. Fine with me, as I’d rather live in a country that polices driver behaviour seriously than one so delicate that it has a hysterical fit at the thought of a cop randomly checking to see if you’re stoned or drunk while operating a vehicle. Of course, Australia is a European monoculture for the most part, so they don’t have to tiptoe around the burdens and complexities created by our large visible minority populations.

Oh the human rights violations! Call Louise Abrour!!! Seriously, we’re not exactly talking the Armenian genocide here. I’m routinely stopped by Australian cops for random breath checks at all days and hours, and never with probable cause. Fine with me, as I’d rather live in a country that polices driver behaviour seriously than one so delicate that it has a hysterical fit at the thought of a cop randomly checking to see if you’re stoned or drunk while operating a vehicle. Of course, Australia is a European monoculture for the most part, so they don’t have to tiptoe around the burdens and complexities created by our large visible minority populations.

Pretty sure the police don't show up at your front door of insisting you provide a breath sample in Australia. This is going to be a nightmare that will tie up the legal system.

An A-hole neighbor could easily see you having a beer or joint after work then just phone you in and say you were swerving down the road on the way home. Or what's to stop a police officer from targeting someone unfairly? You are now a criminal with no license and maybe no job according to this new law.

These new laws are likely to be ruled unconstitutional.

Canadians could now be charged with drunk driving — even if not drunk, lawyers warn
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...ving-even-if-not-drunk-lawyers-warn-1.4975008

Canadians could now face criminal charges for driving with illegal amounts of alcohol in their system, even if they were stone cold sober while behind the wheel, under tough new impaired driving laws passed by Parliament, according to criminal defence lawyers.

Bill C-46, which came into effect last month, gives police wide-ranging new powers to demand sobriety tests from drivers, boaters and even canoeists.
Police no longer need to have any reasonable grounds to suspect you're impaired, or driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of more than .08, which is 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, before demanding you submit to testing.
Refusing the test can result in a criminal charge.

But Brown calls the law a solution for a problem that rarely existed and claims it will "criminalize Canadians who have done nothing wrong."
He points to number of scenarios where people park their cars with no intention of driving anytime soon, then start drinking.
"You can imagine a situation where a husband and wife are out together. The husband drives to the bar knowing the wife will be the designated driver on the way home, and she's not going to be consuming alcohol that night. The husband drinks alcohol and is now over the limit and has driven a vehicle within the previous two hours," said Brown.
Brown says police can legally enter the bar, or wait for the couple to leave the establishment and demand a breath sample from the husband.
"Even if he's walking to the passenger side of the car, if he is now over 80," added Brown, he could be arrested.

Fairly sure Australia has a about as many foreign-Born citizens as Canada, to say nothing of the Aboriginal population...
They have a lot more as a percentage of population. However their ethnic mix is far more European than ours and their main non-Caucasian population is East Asian, so they can make decisions on things like traffic enforcement without worrying about BLM anger. Or Charter challenges for that matter, since they don’t have one. What they do have is much more law-abiding drivers than ours, and much more heavy-handed policing.

Back