News   Mar 28, 2024
 87     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 225     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

Ridiculous comments and claims made by City Councillors

One thing I dislike about our political system is that it is rigged to prioritize the needs and wants of current residents over future residents. I'd like to know where City Councillors think future residents of Toronto are going to live. Where is the housing?

Any political system that predicated on public choice will run into that problem. The issue of course is that the alternatives tend to be so much worse...

AoD

. I'd like to know where City Councillors think future residents of Toronto are going to live. Where is the housing?

Quit your self-entitled moaning. The GGH is a sea of single detached homes. Find yourself one 50km from work and shut up. ;)

Hey, man, if it was up to me, the whole post-war suburban experiment would be bulldozed and reset to something that isn't an egregious waste of land. This includes most of Janet Davis' former ward. I'd make the OMB look like a NIMBY loser's best friend.

I don't really think her rebuttal has shifted my opinion on the issue.

It actually shows a clear disconnect with the issue at hand. If One Bloor was not built, it would be thousands of homeowners pushing people lower than them on the income ladder out of other districts. The group of people who would not be pushed out of their neighbourhoods are the type of residents that Janet Davis represents. Those who live in single-detached houses near access to municipal services and amenities.

Though I do not live in ward 5, I just received this from Justin di Dunpar. Presumably he and Grimey can exchange local information while sitting in court in 2019.

Dear Ward 5 resident and neighbour,
On my very last day as your city councillor I would like to extend my sincere thanks and gratitude to each and every one of you. The last 4 years have been exciting and there has been positive progress in many areas.

I wish to thank my staff; Mary, Valerie, Rebecca and Brittany for all their dedication and hard work.

Councillor Mark Grimes is your new Ward 3 City Councillor. Mark and his team are committed to providing you with the same excellent level of service. Please sign up for his monthly E-Newsletter so you may stay informed on all the issues that matter to us all.
http://www.markgrimes.ca/

Warm wishes,
Justin

https://nowtoronto.com/news/toronto-politics-kristyn-wong-tam-donald-trump-alt-right/
Literally this whole article falls into here but i'll pull out the funniest parts with translations into normal people speak.

"I am a small-frame, gender non-conforming, queer Asian woman and I was confronted by a large man, accompanied by his large friends who had joined him from the weight training room at the centre. With his non-stop barking of questions and allegations and no way to de-escalate the situation, I was forced to leave."

Yes how dare muscular men question me a small queer Asian woman in a public community centre. I only take questions from skinny men and women.

"It reminded me of the social media tactics that produced the birther lie that dogged former President Barack Obama and the Pizzagate fantasy promoted about Hillary Clinton."

My case is totally similar to the president of the United states. I forgot to write in the article I was treated similar to how Jesus was treated before being crucified.

"If politicians believe that negative campaigning is a sure path to winning elections, then they will sink as low as they can to come out on top. And social media provides new tools to facilitate dirty tricks and bring truth under attack."

I am against negative campaigning unless I am the one doing it. Like in 2008 when I staged a protest against Councilor Rob Ford.

There is no alt-left. Now, there is an alt-right, since they made up the term. It is basically a more marketable way of saying you are a white supremacist, or at least it was until Charlottesville, when it became toxic. Some people who rejected the overt racism from people like Richard Spencer were referred to as alt-lite as well.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/toronto-politics-kristyn-wong-tam-donald-trump-alt-right/
Literally this whole article falls into here but i'll pull out the funniest parts with translations into normal people speak.

"I am a small-frame, gender non-conforming, queer Asian woman and I was confronted by a large man, accompanied by his large friends who had joined him from the weight training room at the centre. With his non-stop barking of questions and allegations and no way to de-escalate the situation, I was forced to leave."

Yes how dare muscular men question me a small queer Asian woman in a public community centre. I only take questions from skinny men and women.

"It reminded me of the social media tactics that produced the birther lie that dogged former President Barack Obama and the Pizzagate fantasy promoted about Hillary Clinton."

My case is totally similar to the president of the United states. I forgot to write in the article I was treated similar to how Jesus was treated before being crucified.

"If politicians believe that negative campaigning is a sure path to winning elections, then they will sink as low as they can to come out on top. And social media provides new tools to facilitate dirty tricks and bring truth under attack."

I am against negative campaigning unless I am the one doing it. Like in 2008 when I staged a protest against Councilor Rob Ford.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Your supposed embrace of normal people speak is code for I took that statement completely out of context and utterly misrepresented the article from which it was taken!

To say that is distasteful and offensive doesn't really cover it.

Yes, her language in that paragraph appears to contain some superfluous adjectives.............

But that's because you removed the context.

The fulsome description is one in which a political opponent ambushed her at a non-public event with cameras, and a phalanx of friends/supporters, when she was alone, and barked all sorts of lies at her in a
harassing, threatening and confrontational tone.

When you add that those doing the harassing included several large, muscular men, yes that would add to an intimidation factor, for anyone, let alone a woman of smaller stature (irrespective of her orientation).

That this also specifically involved homophobic nonsense according to her account makes her status relevant in the context of the article, however.

That this was used a political tactic is despicable. As discussed in the Doug Ford thread in relation to his young Niagara MPP, there are lines one ought not to cross, and the incident described here most certainly qualifies.

That you have misrepresented this, and clearly moved to make light of it, does not speak well of you at all.

Last edited:
I would say the utter obsession with identity politics is very much "alt-left" as this Toronto councillor has exemplified

I saw a video on YouTube that made reference to people on the right using the same identity politics that they attack the left for using. Hard to disagree with that assessment.

There is no alt-left. Now, there is an alt-right, since they made up the term. It is basically a more marketable way of saying you are a white supremacist, or at least it was until Charlottesville, when it became toxic. Some people who rejected the overt racism from people like Richard Spencer were referred to as alt-lite as well.

Technically no but I mean the way people make up labels, particularly directed at many right wing figures, I do not understand why people are shocked that labels like alt-left get made up.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Your supposed embrace of normal people speak is code for I took that statement completely out of context and utterly misrepresented the article from which it was taken!

To say that is distasteful and offensive doesn't really cover it.

Yes, her language in that paragraph appears to contain some superfluous adjectives.............

But that's because you removed the context.

The fulsome description is one in which a political opponent ambushed her at a non-public event with cameras, and a phalanx of friends/supporters, when she was alone, and barked all sorts of lies at her in a
harassing, threatening and confrontational tone.

When you add that those doing the harassing included several large, muscular men, yes that would add to an intimidation factor, for anyone, let alone a woman of smaller stature (irrespective of her orientation).

That this also specifically involved homophobic nonsense according to her account makes her status relevant in the context of the article, however.

That this was used a political tactic is despicable. As discussed in the Doug Ford thread in relation to his young Niagara MPP, there are lines one ought not to cross, and the incident described here most certainly qualifies.

That you have misrepresented this, and clearly moved to make light of it, does not speak well of you at all.

So I am a bit late to respond to this but it should be obvious that I was intentionally parodying her article because I find the concept of what she wrote hilarious. I will try to make a few points from a more logical perspective. The reason I used the term normal people speak was because after you boil down all the jargon in the article the actual meat behind what she is saying is lacking. And that is even under the scenario where she is 100% telling the truth in this article. A former council candidate named Jordan Stone came up to her in a public community center where she was campaigning and questioned her about it. Instead of defending herself in any way she got all defensive an ran out of the community center. People are claiming that they were being threatening but from watching the video I highly disagree and while I think they were giving her a rough ride almost any politician would have an incident like this in their careers. Oh and in her article she even admits that she called the police on Stone at this time and the police couldn't do anything. Logically I guess that means the incident wasn't serious enough to warrant a police response.

The person in question is still making allegations on twitter this week. Wong-Tam would have a free lawsuit but you could make the argument that she doesn't want some thing to come out in a lawsuit. I am not sure what her strategy is. There has never been a retraction form anyone involved. But i guess having your media friends exonerate you without an investigation is all that is needed.

She may have a point about threats and homophobic comments on twitter. But I am of the belief that every politician gets these and only some choose to complain about it,. Also, there is a block feature on twitter which i know that Wong-Tam uses quite liberally. So she doesn't even need to personally read the comments if she doesn't want to.

Wong-Tam is a really detestable councilor in my opinion. I would say the most but there is a lot of competition for that title. She clearly plays favorites and makes herself off to be a complete victim despite clearly coming from a place of privileged as one of 25 councilors with lawmaking power in Toronto. I wish my privilege was enough to get me a spot to write in a magazine with no fact checking in order to attack a political opponents who ran against me in the election. The fact that there was no media that reported the smears at the time says something. They all waited till after the election so LESS of her residents would be aware that she was a former real estate agent. And this still serves as warning shots for anyone trying to question a sitting councilor about any shady business dealings that may or may not have occurred.

Technically no but I mean the way people make up labels, particularly directed at many right wing figures, I do not understand why people are shocked that labels like alt-left get made up.

So I am a bit late to respond to this but it should be obvious that I was intentionally parodying her article because I find the concept of what she wrote hilarious. I will try to make a few points from a more logical perspective. The reason I used the term normal people speak was because after you boil down all the jargon in the article the actual meat behind what she is saying is lacking. And that is even under the scenario where she is 100% telling the truth in this article. A former council candidate named Jordan Stone came up to her in a public community center where she was campaigning and questioned her about it. Instead of defending herself in any way she got all defensive an ran out of the community center. People are claiming that they were being threatening but from watching the video I highly disagree and while I think they were giving her a rough ride almost any politician would have an incident like this in their careers. Oh and in her article she even admits that she called the police on Stone at this time and the police couldn't do anything. Logically I guess that means the incident wasn't serious enough to warrant a police response.

The person in question is still making allegations on twitter this week. Wong-Tam would have a free lawsuit but you could make the argument that she doesn't want some thing to come out in a lawsuit. I am not sure what her strategy is. There has never been a retraction form anyone involved. But i guess having your media friends exonerate you without an investigation is all that is needed.

She may have a point about threats and homophobic comments on twitter. But I am of the belief that every politician gets these and only some choose to complain about it,. Also, there is a block feature on twitter which i know that Wong-Tam uses quite liberally. So she doesn't even need to personally read the comments if she doesn't want to.

Wong-Tam is a really detestable councilor in my opinion. I would say the most but there is a lot of competition for that title. She clearly plays favorites and makes herself off to be a complete victim despite clearly coming from a place of privileged as one of 25 councilors with lawmaking power in Toronto. I wish my privilege was enough to get me a spot to write in a magazine with no fact checking in order to attack a political opponents who ran against me in the election. The fact that there was no media that reported the smears at the time says something. They all waited till after the election so LESS of her residents would be aware that she was a former real estate agent. And this still serves as warning shots for anyone trying to question a sitting councilor about any shady business dealings that may or may not have occurred.

I have to say, based on the above, I don't think you and I watching the same video (though it would seem we were...........)

Wong Tam has at most one person w/her, but she is confronted by several, large men, and the tone is abrasive and rude to say the least.

Mr. Stone's first assertion that the councillor is trying to take away a free gym seems peculiar and misplaced, absent info of which I am unaware.

I don't believe there was any discussion of the replacement facility not being 'free' as John Innes is now, but I will stand to be corrected if that is the case.

To make it seem like its the sitting councillor's agenda to evict the poor, when the idea for the facility came from a donor offering 30M to the City, and it was the City's suggestion to use the money towards replacing John Innis.............is bizarre.

His defence of the existing facility is also suspect (its wholly inadequate, outdated, undersized and its as ugly as all get out)

I don't see any evidence to back up his other allegations.

I also see a key proposal of his was to build 2 apartment buildings in downtown and solve all homelessness which suggests a certain measure of delusion or at least mathematical incompetence on his part.

I'm not sure why you hate Wong-Tam, except for disagreeing w/her politics. Like the person w/whom you sympathize I have yet to see an iota of evidence brought forth here.

Also....are you seriously going after real estate agents on this forum? Just asking.

Last edited:
Lauren Pelley @LaurenPelley
40s

Is there anyone who’s *not* working in the pot industry these days? Apparently Giorgio Mammoliti — who lost his council race in October — was hired by a cannabis company, according to his LinkedIn profile. (H/t @cristina_CP24)

Why am I not surprised?

Back