Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

I am unconvinced that this will be anything but a glorified passenger processing terminal with transit connections, and the hundreds of thousands of employees who work near the airport will be at best a second thought or at worst not even considered.

The GTAA with it's recent property acquisitions has the opportunity to turn the proposed hub into a true destination and I fear it's lack of vision will prevent that.

I flew out of Pearson today and noticed that the GTAA has "Union Station West" ads both inside the airport, and on billboards along the 427 approach to the airport. It seems like they reeeaalllyy want this.
Given how long construction takes in this country this thing, even if real, is still decades away. What is the point spending money on ads now?

Given how long construction takes in this country this thing, even if real, is still decades away. What is the point spending money on ads now?
pushing for political consensus to get funding for a project that is going to cost billions when that money probably could be spend somewhere else better.

I am unconvinced that this will be anything but a glorified passenger processing terminal with transit connections, and the hundreds of thousands of employees who work near the airport will be at best a second thought or at worst not even considered.

The GTAA with it's recent property acquisitions has the opportunity to turn the proposed hub into a true destination and I fear it's lack of vision will prevent that.

I get the pessimism. But for the GTAA, employee parking is a waste of space. They'll want them comin on transit. And as long as the links are there, whether for pax, airport workers or those who work nearby, it's all the same. The real issue is building the links. And that is dependent on governments not the GTAA.

pushing for political consensus to get funding for a project that is going to cost billions when that money probably could be spend somewhere else better.

Plus the construction (and office) jobs associated either directly or indirectly with the project.

See link.

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) manages and operates Toronto Pearson International Airport, the largest airport in Canada. The GTAA employs more than 1,500 people directly, with another 40,000 who work within the airport community.

Every year, over 465,000 flights pass through Toronto Pearson, taking with them more than 44 million passengers. Working as a team, we strive to be the best airport in the world, offering a positive experience for our passengers and our partner airlines.

Those above numbers will go UP!

The GTAA has said before they can self-fund this. The issue is the transit connections to that hub.
i.e. the billions in public funds needed to make the project work. Doesn't matter if GTAA can afford to build the actual building, if there aren't any trains servicing it, it's pointless.

GTAA loves to highlight how many jobs are in the area surrounding it - but reality is that they are spread out over about 100 square km and almost none of them are easily accessible from any of the proposed transit lines yet alone the transit hub itself.

This station will service the airport and the airport alone - which given it's relatively low demand patterns (especially during peak periods when transit is needed most), I am suspicious this should really be our government's highest priority.

i.e. the billions in public funds needed to make the project work. Doesn't matter if GTAA can afford to build the actual building, if there aren't any trains servicing it, it's pointless.

GTAA loves to highlight how many jobs are in the area surrounding it - but reality is that they are spread out over about 100 square km and almost none of them are easily accessible from any of the proposed transit lines yet alone the transit hub itself.

This station will service the airport and the airport alone - which given it's relatively low demand patterns (especially during peak periods when transit is needed most), I am suspicious this should really be our government's highest priority.

It's possible to improve transit access to the employment lands surrounding the airport - MiWay Route 57 is a good example, but it's really difficult, and none of the transit agencies that serve the area (TTC, MiWay, GO, UPX, Brampton Transit) are set up for it. MiWay is focused on the Renforth Hub. The BT 115 has been really successful in serving airport workers and the Airport Road corridor (and places like FedEx), but connections to other airport employment areas at the terminal are poor.

I flew out of Pearson today and noticed that the GTAA has "Union Station West" ads both inside the airport, and on billboards along the 427 approach to the airport. It seems like they reeeaalllyy want this.
Let me guess: They have an application into the Infrastructure Bank!

Retrospect:
Pearson airport hub a fitting project for Canada Infrastructure Bank ...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/.../pearson-airport...infrastructure-bank.../article346...

Apr 9, 2017 - Outgoing Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig says Pearson airport's ambitious plan to become a transportation megahub is the kind of project that ...
Ottawa hires Metrolinx CEO to advise on Canada Infrastructure Bank ...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...infrastructure-bank/article34444724/

Mar 28, 2017 - Bruce McCuaig is leaving Metrolinx after more than six years as ... rail link betweenPearson International Airport and Toronto's Union Station.

Let me guess: They have an application into the Infrastructure Bank!

Retrospect:
Pearson airport hub a fitting project for Canada Infrastructure Bank ...
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/.../pearson-airport...infrastructure-bank.../article346...

Apr 9, 2017 - Outgoing Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig says Pearson airport's ambitious plan to become a transportation megahub is the kind of project that ...
Ottawa hires Metrolinx CEO to advise on Canada Infrastructure Bank ...
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...infrastructure-bank/article34444724/

Mar 28, 2017 - Bruce McCuaig is leaving Metrolinx after more than six years as ... rail link betweenPearson International Airport and Toronto's Union Station.

They very well could. The Infra Bank could also help with the Eglinton West LRT and Finch West LRT extensions, as well as the tunnelled GO line. Politically you could spin the project as helping the entire region, which it would.

They very well could. The Infra Bank could also help with the Eglinton West LRT and Finch West LRT extensions, as well as the tunnelled GO line. Politically you could spin the project as helping the entire region, which it would.
Exactly. Even though it's claimed the IB is "arm's length" from the sitting gov't, their raison d'être is to maximize the yield of gov't investment, and this rings at least three bells, and at a very opportune time for the upcoming federal election.

I have some trepidations on how the GTAA goes about this, but hopefully their 'investors' keep it centred. That term "Union West" has to go though. "Pearson Transit Hub" is far more encompassing as this has to be about more than trains and planes.

Montreal's REM has already established a template for what to expect from the IB, and after McQuaig's 'priming the well' and REM's 'Speedwagon' the GTAA can expect nothing less.

Even though it's claimed the IB is "arm's length" from the sitting gov't, their raison d'être is to maximize the yield of gov't investment, and this rings at least three bells, and at a very opportune time for the upcoming federal election.
Best I clarify that as it might appear contradictory to "arm's length"...which it must be. I believe the Feds have fire-walled the amount budgeted for the IBank...but that does not preclude them lending or granting an added sum through other channels to the project, thus making the case before the IBank even more compelling. And the Libs 'sweetening' their stature in the electorate by doing so.

Wow this thread is completely dead! Is the project cancelled? Doug Ford got rid of this one too? Hasn't been any updates since last year.

Back