Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

48FBFCC2-36AD-4391-A339-CB39B19DC9B3.jpeg

Spandrel aside, this tower might just have stunned us if its fins were coloured like that of 60 Colbourne.

I want to like this tower, but I just don't. And I am not sure why. Is it the fact that it the material looks like cheap and thin aluminium. Is it because of the presence of spandrel and the disjointed use of same? Is it because the spacing between the flowing ribbons is inconsistent and not particularly harmonious?

Or is it because of all these design flaws?

I am just disappointed that I will have to associate Yorkville with this and other like buildings now.

Yorkville needs new energy. You should welcome it. Why else go there other then Whole Foods? Maybe Nespresso? This shouldn't disappoint you as much as on the other end of Cumberland/Yorkville.

I'm hoping that the crown may resolve the design a bit more. As far as I'm concerned, the main issue is the material selection amplified by the ratio of grey fin to glass. It looks like a scrunched up aluminum foil to me. I do appreciate that it offers something different and hope that once yorkville is built up, the variety in styles will make Yorkville more unique than any other neighbourhood in the city.

Back