News   Apr 26, 2024
 482     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
These thieves in east end London, Ontario, use something bigger than a duffel bag.

From link.

LCBO targeted in east-end smash and grab

image1-2-e1546362031461.jpg

Crews repair damage to an east London LCBO store after a smash-and-grab theft early New Years Day. Mike Hensen/The London Free Press

Thieves made off with booze after a vehicle smashed into an east London LCBO New Year’s Day, causing $100,000 damage to the building.​
Officers were called shortly after 6 a.m. to a break-in in progress at an LCBO store on Clarke Road, near Dundas Street, where a vehicle had reportedly been driven into the front of the building, London police said.​
Officers arrived at the scene but nobody was found in the area, police said.​
There was significant damage to the building, police said, and store management confirmed that product had been stolen.​

Now that's creative!

These thieves in east end London, Ontario, use something bigger than a duffel bag.

From link.

Crews repair damage to an east London LCBO store after a smash-and-grab theft early New Years Day. Mike Hensen/The London Free Press

Thieves made off with booze after a vehicle smashed into an east London LCBO New Year’s Day, causing $100,000 damage to the building.​
Officers were called shortly after 6 a.m. to a break-in in progress at an LCBO store on Clarke Road, near Dundas Street, where a vehicle had reportedly been driven into the front of the building, London police said.​
There was significant damage to the building, police said, and store management confirmed that product had been stolen.​

"management confirmed that product had been stolen"
Ya think?

From link.

That's just shoplifting to Gabe, lol.
Robbery and shoplifting are not the same thing.

Right. Shoplifting is when thieves remove merchandise from the LCBO without paying. Robbery is when customers remove merchandise from the LCBO after having paid.

Lest I have I have missed it.........the LCBO has quietly introduced Sunday evening service to select stores in the GTA.

I noted the following locations in Toronto that now have posted hours til 8pm on Sundays.

King/Spadina
Queen's Quay
St. Lawrence
Maple Leaf Gardens
Summerhill
Thorncliffe
Danforth/Broadview
Queen/Coxwell
Liberty Village

Notes on quirks:

Thorncliffe a 'B' location at best, that is quite small and in a muslim majority area where I would assume alcohol sales are lower than average gets extended hours, but the Laird Drive store
which is a flagship nearby does not.

Not a single location in Scarborough south of Lawrence gets the extended hours

Very few stores in North York as well. None in North York Centre (Yonge)

I'm surprised Atrium didn't get extended hours.

I wonder if the erratic nature of the stores getting longer hours have anything to do with negotiating with the Union on a store by store basis?

Lest I have I have missed it.........the LCBO has quietly introduced Sunday evening service to select stores in the GTA.

I noted the following locations in Toronto that now have posted hours til 8pm on Sundays.

King/Spadina
Queen's Quay
St. Lawrence
Maple Leaf Gardens
Summerhill
Thorncliffe
Danforth/Broadview
Queen/Coxwell
Liberty Village

Notes on quirks:

Thorncliffe a 'B' location at best, that is quite small and in a muslim majority area where I would assume alcohol sales are lower than average gets extended hours, but the Laird Drive store
which is a flagship nearby does not.

Not a single location in Scarborough south of Lawrence gets the extended hours

Very few stores in North York as well. None in North York Centre (Yonge)

I'm surprised Atrium didn't get extended hours.
The store at 125 The Queensway is also open to 8 PM. In the same plaza is a 24-hour Sobey's, so that may have had something to do with selecting it for later hours.

odd for St Lawrence to get extended hours since it normally closes at 9pm - many times I've forgotten and have had to turn around since its hours are so limited compared to most downtown LCBOs.

edit: they appear to have 11pm hours on friday and saturday now! they also open at 9am many days now, which I believe is new as well.

Did LCBOs ever open past 10 unitl recently? I recall closing always being 10.

odd for St Lawrence to get extended hours since it normally closes at 9pm - many times I've forgotten and have had to turn around since its hours are so limited compared to most downtown LCBOs.

edit: they appear to have 11pm hours on friday and saturday now! they also open at 9am many days now, which I believe is new as well.

Did LCBOs ever open past 10 unitl recently? I recall closing always being 10.

When I was too young to partake, I remember the old LCBO summerhill (pre-beautiful restoration) being open till 11pm Fridays and Saturdays.

That changed after, the it became the booze palace! LOL

I just checked, those same extended hours apply to all the locations where I observed Sunday evenings have been added.

Good catch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beer Store and LCBO need to get better online home delivery system ASP. Now that this law is in place. Not worth it being hassled by police in the Beer Store LCBO parking lots or being followed home.

Canada’s new impaired driving laws can arrest innocent people in their own homes

In a story reported by Global News, a man by the name of Art went to his local Ontario Beer Store to return about three dozen beer bottles and 10 wine bottles, which his family had accumulated over the Christmas season.
Not much time had passed, and Art had been pulled over in a traffic stop by a police officer who asked if he had been drinking. Art said he had not.

Art says the officer demanded a roadside breath sample. Art asked the officer what would happen if he did not provide the breathalyzer test, to which the officer informed him that he would face arrest, a criminal charge, and a license suspension. All of this from a 70 year old man who was simply returning bottles to the Beer Store.
Art took the breathalyzer test. He passed the test, and went on to continue his day.
“I felt like I was violated in a way. They shouldn’t have that right to pull a person over unless there is a good sign the person is doing something wrong,” said Art, who claims to have not been using a cellphone, speeding, or violating any traffic laws.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely. It’s not a matter of if these laws will be abused, it’s a matter of when, and against who. What do you think? Are the laws a welcomed step in the right direction? Or is the government overstepping boundaries? Let us know.

Guess I'm going to have to be careful doing bottle returns. The last time I went it was with months' worth of bottles gathered from a friend's cottage. The trunk and backseat were full.

I get the intent of the new legislation; to put the fear of God into anyone who drives impaired. It is an implied condition of driving that you do so while not impaired. Whether the 'without suspicion' aspect survives a court challenge remains to be seen but I suspect it might. The courts have generally sided with a momentary infringement of rights to counter the larger social problem. However, I think the success of the legislation allowing a demand while not driving, or at least without an immediate connection to have been driving, will be more of a problem. I don't think the courts will smile on 'you're impaired now so you must have been impaired 2 hours ago'. There are just too many holes in the continuity.

Guess I'm going to have to be careful doing bottle returns. The last time I went it was with months' worth of bottles gathered from a friend's cottage. The trunk and backseat were full.

Same here. I hardly ever go to the Beer Store. And when i do, my car is loaded with empties. I usually go to the Beer Store in the evenings, and i will buy a case with the deposit i got and go home and drink a few beers. But now what if a cop follows me home within that 2 hour period? Or some A-hole neighbor calls the cops saying i was drunk while driving home? They run a breathalyzer while i'm in my house, i will be guilty of drunk driving.

Back