Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

^^or may be they will only do one taller tower and ^I don't think so that Gehry is going to walk away.

Or maybe, as has generally been indicated, the changes will not be particularly significant and the project will continue without concern as some have been indicating it will all along.

If the changes were not particularly significant, perhaps they could have been done by minor variances?

I think most UTers will be happy.... as I've said before - lot has been happening behind the scenes.

This is why I miss Mike's more frequent posting of year's gone by.

Always a man of few words.

But the words chosen are always insightful.

Let's see if this design remains the same...

Toronto Model 12-23-18 M&G.png

Essentially the previous official plan amendment required heritage preservation and placed a maximum density and height limit on the project. An OPA means they are either trying to drop heritage elements, or increasing fsi/height. I suspect it's the latter.

Any chance they've picked up additional neighboring properties to add to the proposal?

Heritage preservation is much easier if you transfer density to adjacent property. Three 70 floor towers would likely be better for profits too.

Any chance they've picked up additional neighboring properties to add to the proposal?

Heritage preservation is much easier if you transfer density to adjacent property. Three 70 floor towers would likely be better for profits too.

I wouldn't want to see three 70 floor towers. For what will likely be the crown jewel of Toronto condos, this needs to make a bold, epic statement, such as the city's first 100 storey building.

Really? I'd take a Gehry designed building over roughly 99.5% of what exists in Toronto.

You realize those are two completely different arguments.

Also, I agree that three giant building of the same height is less visually pleasing (to me at least).

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, I did go back to Oct and didnt see it. The Eclipse Bldg (King/John) appears to be vacated now ... Tim's and the Sports Store is gone. From what I understood this bldg was safe from demo, so maybe Mirvish will be moving their offices from the Anderson Bldg ( 284) where they are now to the Eclipse ?? .

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, I did go back to Oct and didnt see it. The Eclipse Bldg (King/John) appears to be vacated now ... Tim's and the Sports Store is gone. From what I understood this bldg was safe from demo, so maybe Mirvish will be moving their offices from the Anderson Bldg ( 284) where they are now to the Eclipse ?? .
The Mirvish Gallery

Found this recent article. I thought the Eclipse building was going to make way for the east tower?
Projectcore eyes October start for Mirvish gallery reno job

Does that confirm the east tower will no longer be built as planned? Pure speculation but could this mean one tower development with real estate market softening?
The 100-year-old, four-storey brick-and-beam structure was not originally part of the vision announced by David Mirvish and renowned architect Frank Gehry in 2012, but Projectcore project manager Robin Ramcharan said the developers are now embracing it after the City of Toronto insisted the legacy building be incorporated into the overall plan.

“Retaining the Eclipse Whitewear building became an important part of the final scheme, especially as it will house the main gallery for Mirvish + Gehry Toronto,” commented Ramcharan.

“We took the opportunity to celebrate the history of the building by restoring some of the original elements that had been changed over time, such as re-introducing an entrance from John Street. Keeping the heritage elements also helped give context to the overall development on the block.”

Construction is expected to start in October with a projected completion date of August 2020.

Ramcharan deferred questions about the rest of the project to Great Gulf, which was announced last Oct. 2 as the purchaser of the site. Mirvish, president of Ed Mirvish Enterprises, said at the time the sale would lead to the “realization and fulfilment of my vision for Mirvish + Gehry Toronto.”

Great Gulf reiterated plans to build two towers with 82 storeys in an East Tower and 92 in a West Tower anchored by a multi-level podium on property that has been zoned for mixed uses but since then has not issued updates. Requests for comment from Great Gulf went unanswered as of press deadline.

Last edited:

Back