News   Apr 19, 2024
 802     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 651     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

MINISO expansion into the Canadian market

Was I the only one surprised to learn today that Miniso is Chinese, and not Japanese?

Damn. I was working on 2 project to put Miniso stores inside an existing retailers space. I guess those projects will be dead now.

Damn. I was working on 2 project to put Miniso stores inside an existing retailers space. I guess those projects will be dead now.

Maybe not? ............

Per Retail Insider

"Update [Morning of December 18, 2018] — Miniso Canada claims on social media that it has reached a preliminary agreement with ‘Miniso China’ in a case that could have forced the “Japanese” discount retailer’s Canadian division into bankruptcy. "

Miniso being Chinese was a shocker to me. The store's logo uses Japanese Katakana
(the alphabet for foreign words and letters) "メイソウ" (Meinisou).

With Circle K Sunkus and 7-11 being Japanese - I just thought it was a continuing
trend.

Just spotted my first Miniso store within Wal-Mart on St. Clair in the Bloor West
Village area.

Regarding the above comment, I think the giveaway that the store isn't really Japanese but Chinese owned would be the oddly incorrect spelling of the store name in Japanese using Katakana - MEISOU 「メイソウ」vs. MINISOU「ミニソウ」
A new MINISO store will be opening inside the Richmond-Adelaide Centre.

I will probably get a lot of hate around here-- but I checked out on Friday both the Smart House location of Miniso- as well as the PATH location by my work.. - there is a soft opening...
was sooo not impressed.. is it just me?- I mean all this hype.. is soooo overrated.. lots of basic items- not really useful..and overpriced.. you could walk down to Spadina..and on King to the Dollar store and get better items for less.
I will check it out again in a few weeks just to be fair and not right it off this quickly...as it just opened..

Back