Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Not surprised at the numbers as I was expecting this. The so call claim the 407 parking lot was going to be full within the first few months have been miss.

Given the size of 407 parking lot, not close to been full. Pioneer parking lot is a lot bigger than 407. No parking at Vaughan and Sheppard station

As for US stations, no clue since I have never visited them in the first place nor looked at numbers for them.

As for ridership, one year is way too soon to compare to other lines and need to wait to see what 5/10 years numbers look like. Also, Sheppard had already development along its route as well ridership, where the extension has none of this. Once a number of the new towers are built and have residents over the next 10 years for VMC, ridership for VMC will climb.
For the TYSSE, it's actually exceeding Sheppard on a ridership per kilometer basis, however, we don't entirely know how it has affected other stations on the spadina line. For instance, I would think that Sheppard West's ridership and Wilson's ridership would heavily decrease because of the extension, but we'll have to wait for a ridership update in 2-3 years before we know anything for certain. As far as redevelopment potential, I'm not even sure there's much room for that at many of the stations. York U, HWY 407, and Steeles west aren't really prime candidates for that. VMC, Finch West, and Downsview Park on the other hand have a lot of potential or at least some. Again, Sheppard hasn't fully matured itself so we'll have to see how its ridership grows before we can conclude anything.

407 and DVP are going to be sitting ducks for about a decade before RER and the 407 transitway are built, we all knew that, but they're seeing better usage than I predicted, so it's good that a good 6000 people are using the two stations combined.

Those numbers seem quite respectable to me. We all knew that 407 ridership would be low, and Downsview Park is building for the future. Vaughan Centre is better than I expected.

The ridership on this extension already exceeds both Line 3 and Line 4, that are similar lengths, with similar number of stations. And as the article notes, the ridership exceeds expectations.

Area around Downsview Park doesn't have the development to attract riders, same with 407.

YorkU station doesn't need redevelopment. It's a massive trip generator.

There's probably something more pointless than judging a subway line extensions' new ridership only a year after opening but I'm not sure what. Some will use this an an excuse, I've no doubt, to crow about how it's a failure and that this bus line or this streetcar carries more people and blah blah blah. It's not a contest. We all know there are more people and more density downtown already.

We all new the new stations would be relatively quiet and all could have guessed those 2, in particular, would be the quietest. More significantly, it's precisely because of the subway (and market and other conditions, sure) that VMC development is ahead of schedule. The real measure of the line's success will be how many of those new residents and jobs feed into the subway. You can let low ridership at 407 and Downsview slide as long as York and VMC are generating the hoped-for ridership. And you don't know that today and you won't know it next December either and probably not 5 years from now either.

Area around Downsview Park doesn't have the development to attract riders, same with 407.
DVP has a lot of development potential with the Downsview airport area being redeveloped. It will take at least a decade, but it could become similar to Wilson Station in that timeframe. 407 has no development potential because it's in the middle of a freeway. The best thing to do with that site is to shift most if not all the parking at Sheppard West, Yorkdale, and Wilson there since there is room for it, and nothing else can really go there.
YorkU station doesn't need redevelopment. It's a massive trip generator.
Of course it doesn't, which is why I said there's no room for redevelopment. The point is that ridership for that station won't significantly increase over the next few decades (after it matures obviously).

Of course it doesn't, which is why I said there's no room for redevelopment. The point is that ridership for that station won't significantly increase over the next few decades (after it matures obviously).

York U station has plenty of room for growth as the University has a lot of room to grow. And not just on campus. North of Steeles is basically empty. Which means plenty of growth for Pioneer Village as well.

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at Monday Dec 17, 2018 1.30.27 PM.png

^Practically empty as in it only has a large UPS facility, a rail corridor and a grave yard.....none of which scream out "develop these lands now!" ;)

^Practically empty as in it only has a large UPS facility, a rail corridor and a grave yard.....none of which scream out "develop these lands now!"

You see the land on the north side of Steeles heading west from the TD Canada Trust to the UPS? Basically empty fields save for a few warehouse/retail type places. You telling me that space can't be developed? @TOareaFan

And there's nothing stopping the UPS lands being redeveloped as well. Concord Park Place used to be a massive Canadian Tire distribution centre. Same can happen here.

You see the land on the north side of Steeles heading west from the TD Canada Trust to the UPS? Basically empty fields save for a few warehouse/retail type places. You telling me that space can't be developed? @TOareaFan
Yeah it probably can.....but a) that is really not that much in the scheme of things and, b) given the surrounding land uses it is not likely to be the sort of development that produces a large amount of transit use....it is is likely to be more industrial/warehousing use and, perhaps, some small scale office use....but not much else.

What kind of development are you seeing on that, roughly, 70 acre patch that will significantly impact the useage at the PV Station?

And there's nothing stopping the UPS lands being redeveloped as well. Concord Park Place used to be a massive Canadian Tire distribution centre. Same can happen here.
replies are crossing...but same question applies to any redevelopment of the UPS lands....what do you see going there?

You could easily build a CityPlace type development here. Not saying Vaughan will allow that. But a lot of density could be added here if they want.

Back