Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

It's a beautiful project.

just to be clear -- are the shopping concourses sheltered but not climate controlled? I can't tell. If it is just sheltered from rain and snow, will this outdoor mall bring the crowds? I hope the lighting will be nice. I don't think we can count on natural light being able to give those dappled light scenes very often.
Yes, they are covered, but not sealed in at the ends. They seem to have thought this through very thoroughly… I suspect you'll get dramatic night lighting.

P1080390.JPG
P1080389.JPG
P1080382.JPG
P1080383.JPG
P1080384.JPG
P1080386.JPG
P1080387.JPG
P1080388.JPG

We've received a pile of new renderings for The Well, most concentrating on the retail areas. Have fun…

The overall shot across Front Street assumes that the Rail Deck Park project, pictured in the foreground as a forest, has gone ahead.

View attachment 165544

Close-ups from the image above give a good look at the podiums along Front Street, and at some of the tower details:

View attachment 165546
View attachment 165545
View attachment 165547

This flagship retail location will be just west of Spadina at Front. To the right is the entrance to the multi-level sheltered sopping concourses:

View attachment 165549

Various views of the atrium and the arching skylight:

View attachment 165548View attachment 165552
View attachment 165553

A view into the Market area:

View attachment 165550

…and finally, Restaurant Row along Wellington Street:

View attachment 165551

All of the images were cerated by Binyan Studios and the architectural team, and sent to us on behalf of Allied, RioCan, and Diamond Corp by Kim Graham and Associates. Thanks to everyone - we love getting these!

I hope that the City hasn't missed the incredibly obvious opportunity to have The Well fund the part of RailDeck park that's in front of it. Such a massive city block sized project could easily fund decking over the rail corridor for a park in exchange for some rights of use. Maybe Allied gets naming rights to the park and corporate use of a stage or square in the park or even ownership of their part of the park for a number of years with the stipulation that it be open to the public and maintained. I know that rendering artists often take broad creative licenses in imagining a finished project, but the fact that RailDeck Park was included in the latest renderings gives me a little bit of hope that they know something that hasn't yet been publicly announced.

wellretailaern1280-jpg.165544

I hope that the City hasn't missed the incredibly obvious opportunity to have The Well fund the part of RailDeck park that's in front of it. Such a massive city block sized project could easily fund decking over the rail corridor for a park in exchange for some rights of use. Maybe Allied gets naming rights to the park and corporate use of a stage or square in the park or even ownership of their part of the park for a number of years with the stipulation that it be open to the public and maintained. I know that rendering artists often take broad creative licenses in imagining a finished project, but the fact that RailDeck Park was included in the latest renderings gives me a little bit of hope that they know something that hasn't yet been publicly announced.

wellretailaern1280-jpg.165544
The cash in lieu of parkland alone that this project is generating must be a huge number. Does anyone know what the Section 37 contributions are funding?

The Well's Section 37's contributions were not amended this summer. DSC - what you reference this past July was contributions from the Portland Commons project.

Last edited:
I hope that the City hasn't missed the incredibly obvious opportunity to have The Well fund the part of RailDeck park that's in front of it.
The Section 37 Bylaw is from January 2017, so negotiated in 2016, too early for Rail Deck Park.

The cash in lieu of parkland alone that this project is generating must be a huge number. Does anyone know what the Section 37 contributions are funding?
The cash in lieu of parkland comes after the actual parkland the City is getting from this development, which are the properties at 19 Draper and 456 Wellington West. The number that was determined to cover the discrepancy (between the 10% of land required and what was actually provided) was $2M. The City is going to use that for the construction costs of the two parks.

that isn't actually that much section 37 given the scale of the project.
$13M plus the $2M park in lieu plus the land for the 2 parks. The developers have had 19 Draper for a long time I believe, but can anyone look up what they paid for the 456 Wellington property recently?

Back