Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I doubt the 407 transit way will be built anytime soon.

I don't actually think it would increase travel times (the subway runs underground instead of mixed traffic). Transferring is always a hassle though, and now it would cost an extra $1.50.
It depends on the trip. The direct GO bus from York U to Richmond Hill Centre takes 12 minutes at 10:10 pm, after evening classes. A direct bus from 407 Station to Richmond Hill Centre takes 10 minutes at that time of night.

That gives you 2 minutes, to get down into the depths of York University station, wait for a train that might only run every 6 minutes in the evening, travel 4 minutes (two stops) on that train, and then go all the way out of the deep 407 station. And hope you haven't missed your GO bus because the subway was delayed.

It might very well not add to travel times during rush-hour. But if you are currently finish your lecture at 10 pm, and are catching the quick 10:10 pm GO Bus to deepest Scarborough ... well, you are going to either have to leave earlier to catch it, or take the 11:10 bus instead. And how many times will you miss it because of the subway?

I'm not opposed to this BTW - but there are implications for some travellers.

Yeah I wouldn't put much faith in that EA. What's shown in the image is 4 lanes in an underground platform. Which is pretty darn massive infrastructure. Toronto doesn't even have a subway station with that level of expansiveness. But the plate is interesting in that it has a potential maintenance facility in the area I wasn't aware of.

Also interesting when looking at a cross-section of the plate is the showing of regional and 100-yr flood levels. Can't think of an existing subway station with its surface portion that close or within a flood plain. Wonder if a contingency was considered when a big flood occurs.

It depends on the trip. The direct GO bus from York U to Richmond Hill Centre takes 12 minutes at 10:10 pm, after evening classes. A direct bus from 407 Station to Richmond Hill Centre takes 10 minutes at that time of night.

That gives you 2 minutes, to get down into the depths of York University station, wait for a train that might only run every 6 minutes in the evening, travel 4 minutes (two stops) on that train, and then go all the way out of the deep 407 station. And hope you haven't missed your GO bus because the subway was delayed.

It might very well not add to travel times during rush-hour. But if you are currently finish your lecture at 10 pm, and are catching the quick 10:10 pm GO Bus to deepest Scarborough ... well, you are going to either have to leave earlier to catch it, or take the 11:10 bus instead. And how many times will you miss it because of the subway?

Every 20 minutes GO Transit Highway 407 buses when?

Yes, because there's no pressing need for it.

I should have said that I don't think it would increase travel times *significantly*, but the schedules are probably going to be revised significantly. We won't know for sure till at least mid-December though.

Yeah I wouldn't put much faith in that EA. What's shown in the image is 4 lanes in an underground platform. Which is pretty darn massive infrastructure. Toronto doesn't even have a subway station with that level of expansiveness.

Have you looked at any of the Mississauga Transitway? It is built to exactly that same standard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

In an ideal world that would be true but with the TTC and their incessant delays and operational issues, these riders will most likely face increased commute times.

If I was faced with the option of taking GO directly to my destination or taking GO 3/4 of the way and the TTC for the other 1/4, I would choose GO 9 times out of 10 solely because I know they are very reliable.
is your calc based on the distance that they would have traveled by bus or the new distance they would travel by subway?

continuing on the 407 to Keele then onto campus looks to be about 4.8km......by getting them off the bus at 407 and onto a subway the journey to the York U station is cut to 2.2km (of course if they are headed for the NW part of campus then it is even shorter.

So a student switches from a bus that has to travel 4.8km (much of it in great congestion on Keele Street) to a subway that travels 2.2km underground. I think the chances of this consistently increasing their commute times are very slim.

EDIT: my bias is showing....I am only considering the impact on trips coming from the west.

Last edited:
Yes, there will be underground platforms at Highway 407 Station, opposite from the subway station fare gates entrance, for a seamless connection.

The thing I hope happens that will improve the accessibility of Highway 407 Station for buses is to add ramps from Highway 400 Northbound and Southbound to Jane Street. Currently, there is no way for buses to get to the bus terminal without getting off at Highway 7, Steeles, or Keele.

Station Plan:
View attachment 163043
Photo of Entrance:
View attachment 163044

Ramps like this:
View attachment 163045
Where did you get those Transitway renderings? Thanks

Yes but whats the data? If rapid transit decreases travel times for 90% of users but increases for 3% (lets say 7% doesnt change) then I would consider that a success.

Not every solution will benefit all.

Oh, no question about it. I just made that comment to highlight how critical it is to have thoughtful design to maximize the benefits of TYSSE for as many commuters as possible. Certain design and operational decisions, such as station depths, and making the busses stop at Steeles, have resulted in a suboptimal solution for York University students. This could have been avoided with less boneheaded design.

Oh, no question about it. I just made that comment to highlight how critical it is to have thoughtful design to maximize the benefits of TYSSE for as many commuters as possible. Certain design and operational decisions, such as station depths, and making the busses stop at Steeles, have resulted in a suboptimal solution for York University students. This could have been avoided with less boneheaded design.

They should have built an underground bus bay when they built the subway station.

The thing I hope happens that will improve the accessibility of Highway 407 Station for buses is to add ramps from Highway 400 Northbound and Southbound to Jane Street. Currently, there is no way for buses to get to the bus terminal without getting off at Highway 7, Steeles, or Keele.

Those ramps are great for buses headed northbound on the 400 to make a 407 station stop, but one heck of a weave across traffic for southbound 400 buses. In general I like your thinking though!

Back