Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Nearly done..
Yes! Let's hope it is finished before 2019. My fingers are crossed the missing balconies get added this month. Picture taken today. Just 5ish years since occupancy?

Unknown.jpeg

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    926.6 KB · Views: 2,082
Last edited by a moderator:
Still in progress.
A crew was lifting “stuff” off the building today. The BMU operates very very slowly. ~6”/sec to lift? But it still works!

6 inches a second or 6 feet? 6" a second would mean it would take like...22 minutes to lift something to the top.

6 inches a second or 6 feet? 6" a second would mean it would take like...22 minutes to lift something to the top.
I was patient enough to watch for ~7 minutes. ~22 levels. Very very slow. :)
6 inches by my rough counting and math.
So ~1 hour per lift. 3 guys on the ground, assume 1-2 guys up top. Say $500/ hr/ lift?
I wonder what the life cycle cost is for this curved “roof “ design over a traditional build.

Maybe tough to put a price on art.
I still like it.

If you're wondering why the streetlights at the base of the tower (and Backstage) are still not functioning, Toronto Hydro's update on this:

Follow up requirements have been provided to the developer and it's now with them to implement them. We're not able to do anything until those requirements are met. As a result, we don't have any timelines. It would be best to contact them directly to get more details. We know this has been very frustrating and we're sorry for not being able to provide more of an update - hopefully you can get in contact with the developer and get the information you need.

^ Sorry, should have been more clear. Direct message via twitter to me when I asked again for the update. I first asked in February 2018 and didn't get a response. I asked again in June 2018 and was told "We just received confirmation that it's the developer's (L-Tower) responsibility to install lighting here. Our team has been in touch with them in terms of approving the designs, but the actual installation is something that they need to do on their own. Might be best to contact them directly regarding a timeline. Hope this helps and thank you for your patience while we looked into this." I sent them a message in August 2018 to check in and didn't receive a response. I checked in again yesterday and what I posted was the reply.

^ Sorry, should have been more clear. Direct message via twitter to me when I asked again for the update. I first asked in February 2018 and didn't get a response. I asked again in June 2018 and was told "We just received confirmation that it's the developer's (L-Tower) responsibility to install lighting here. Our team has been in touch with them in terms of approving the designs, but the actual installation is something that they need to do on their own. Might be best to contact them directly regarding a timeline. Hope this helps and thank you for your patience while we looked into this." I sent them a message in August 2018 to check in and didn't receive a response. I checked in again yesterday and what I posted was the reply.
So, this DM reply was from Toronto Hydro Street Lighting?

^ Correct, it was a DM back to me from the main Toronto Hydro account.
Like many things, the situation is a bit more complicated as the developer and the City agreed on a street-lighting plan for The Esplanade between Scott & Yonge and for Yonge (east side) between The Esplanade and Front as part of the site plan discussions for both L-Tower and Backstage. Then THSL refused to allow it to be implemented (though they provide street-lighting under contract from the City.) There has been a great deal of finger-pointing and gnashing of teeth for many years as this has become a battle between the City and THSL regarding who sets the standards. The developer DOES have an obligation to re-install (or pay for) 'suitable' street lights and they agreed on a plan with the City - whose 'creature' (THSL) refuses to allow it to be implemented. Stalemate!

Like many things, the situation is a bit more complicated as the developer and the City agreed on a street-lighting plan for The Esplanade between Scott & Yonge and for Yonge (east side) between The Esplanade and Front as part of the site plan discussions for both L-Tower and Backstage. Then THSL refused to allow it to be implemented (though they provide street-lighting under contract from the City.) There has been a great deal of finger-pointing and gnashing of teeth for many years as this has become a battle between the City and THSL regarding who sets the standards. The developer DOES have an obligation to re-install (or pay for) 'suitable' street lights and they agreed on a plan with the City - whose 'creature' (THSL) refuses to allow it to be implemented. Stalemate!

I think the key here is to know where you stand on this. We know from your record you're not fond of THSL (rightly so) and that you've backed them down before after doing stupid things in your fiefdom (good on ya!) :)

Hopefully this will get straightened out to a DSC approved state in short order.

I think the key here is to know where you stand on this. We know from your record you're not fond of THSL (rightly so) and that you've backed them down before after doing stupid things in your fiefdom (good on ya!) :)

Hopefully this will get straightened out to a DSC approved state in short order.
@ Northern Light greatly over-estimates any influence I may have and, slightly, mis-represents my views. I do not hate THSL and I understand that some of their activities and rates are set by various government bodies and their City street-lighting contract is not very (or at all) profitable so they do not have unlimited funds. What I DO take exception to is that the City transferred (sold) street-lighting to Toronto Hydro (under David Miller) without a cast-iron contract for ongoing improvements and expansions and Hydro accepted the existing lights without checking and seeing that they were in very poor condition. The result has been that the City makes plans for things like decorative fixtures or new street-layouts but when they then give these to THSL to implement they are told the plans are too expensive or do not follow THSL standards or will be unable to meet lighting standards. On the THSL side they see the City sold them a bunch of crap that pretty much all needs to be replaced and they are in no mood to do any 'favours'. It's a mess and because of this there appears to be a real lack of trust or good will between THSL and City staff. The result is things like the L-Tower/Backstage street lighting stalemate.

@ Northern Light greatly over-estimates any influence I may have and, slightly, mis-represents my views. I do not hate THSL and I understand that some of their activities and rates are set by various government bodies and their City street-lighting contract is not very (or at all) profitable so they do not have unlimited funds. What I DO take exception to is that the City transferred (sold) street-lighting to Toronto Hydro (under David Miller) without a cast-iron contract for ongoing improvements and expansions and Hydro accepted the existing lights without checking and seeing that they were in very poor condition. The result has been that the City makes plans for things like decorative fixtures or new street-layouts but when they then give these to THSL to implement they are told the plans are too expensive or do not follow THSL standards or will be unable to meet lighting standards. On the THSL side they see the City sold them a bunch of crap that pretty much all needs to be replaced and they are in no mood to do any 'favours'. It's a mess and because of this there appears to be a real lack of trust or good will between THSL and City staff. The result is things like the L-Tower/Backstage street lighting stalemate.

I apologize to @DSC for any misrepresentation, which was entirely unintentional.

I have taken great interest in DSC's posts about St. Lawrence area projects over the years, and noted that Hydro is often the villain (either not adhering to schedule, or previous putting up ghastly street lights which were not consistent w/the streetscape plans for an area.

As to @DSC 's influence, I think he is rather more humble than I am exaggerative. I intended my remark as a well earned compliment for his defence of the neighbourhood. Which while not always 100% successful, is quite effective, a great deal of the time.

Back