Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

Both the Rees and York winning proposals were my favourites. Pleasantly surprised.

Looking forward to seeing Cormier’s magic brought to the waterfront. I’m happy that the last vestiges of the York ramp will be removed. We already have plenty of reminders of the Gardiner within sight of this park.

Last edited:
Hopefully these spectacular parks will draw some pedestrian tourists off of the bike lanes.

Last edited:
$7 million seems like an awfully small budget to achieve this vision.
Don't worry, it won't look like the render :p
I hope the pond is open for skating in the winter and they are more generous with the grass areas.

Though I'm a big Cormier fan both for his designs and for his direct hand-on quality assurance on projects carrying his name, this was not my #1 or #2 choice.

I just find the whole design way too kitsch for my liking.

Sigh.

At least I have some hope that this will be done with a decent material pallet and some attention to detail.

I think the heart might be oriented so as to appear aligned with the default orientation on Google Maps/Earth.

https://twitter.com/joe_cressy/status/1049729502375370753

DpFjajVUwAARA2y.jpg
That park really ties the neighborhood together.

I just find the whole design way too kitsch for my liking.

If you go back and look at the Berczy thread this is exactly what many said about Cormier's design there and look how well THAT one turned out. I have confidence that Cormier can carry this off and his amazing attention to detail will surely help.

$7 million seems like an awfully small budget to achieve this vision.

The proposal has suggested scope for value engineering - removal of the pond/pavilion. I think it would be a mistake to remove the water feature though. The pavilion can be replaced by public art instead (though you're still need to put the mechanicals somewhere).

IMG_2923 - Copy.jpg

(CCA)

AoD

Attachments

• IMG_2923 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2923 - Copy.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,032
Last edited:
The proposal has suggested scope for value engineering - removal of the pond/pavilion. I think it would be a mistake to remove the water feature though. The pavilion can be replaced by public art instead (though you're still need to put the mechanicals somewhere).

View attachment 159927
(CCA)

AoD
I agree, they better not remove the pond. Did you see the public survey results? Water was one of the top 3 things the public wanted. I'm sure removal of the pavilion would come first.

Would retaining the pond require the City to properly maintain its mechanical systems? Because Toronto...

Would retaining the pond require the City to properly maintain its mechanical systems? Because Toronto...

Avoidance is hardly the solution - a well designed, well loved and well used space will create the precondition for the public to care about maintenance issues.

AoD

Last edited:

Back