News   Apr 19, 2024
 470     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.6K     2 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Except they're probably going to be around for another 50 years. That kid running for trustee is no doubt getting ready for a 2022 council run.
And DiGiorgio's son is also running as trustee for the Catholic school board in the same ward his dad is running as councillor. I just knew this would happen but I was thinking more along the lines of Frank DiGiorgio holding on as councillor until his son decided to run for councillor and at that point Frank would step down. This is unreal. His son is in his early 20's or perhaps mid 20's

Last edited:
Re Ward 2: it'd seem through his website that Angelo Carnevale, and not Campbell or Holyday, is boasting the support of Premier (and Ward 2 resident) Ford and his MPP/alleged-concubine Kinga Surma. (He *did* have Ford support in his run against Campbell in 2014; he got 20.8% and 3rd vs Campbell's 34.44%.)

https://angelocarnevale.ca/

Re Ward 2: it'd seem through his website that Angelo Carnevale, and not Campbell or Holyday, is boasting the support of Premier (and Ward 2 resident) Ford and his MPP/alleged-concubine Kinga Surma. (He *did* have Ford support in his run against Campbell in 2014; he got 20.8% and 3rd vs Campbell's 34.44%.)

https://angelocarnevale.ca/
I find this ward VERY interesting. Doug Ford donated to John Campbell in 2014 and I have no evidence that he endorsed Carnevale in 2014. But it interesting that he is endorsing him this time around. I think ford is annoyed at both Campbell and Holyday for being Tory supporters on most issues. Realistically he could support either if they wanted his support. I think Campbell wouldn't take his endorsement but Stephen Holyday did support the council cut and he MAY have been open to a photo op with Ford if asked.

Also note Doug lives in this ward which is why it is such high interest for him.

Do people really think that putting a ton of their signs in a row will make people vote for them? I find them extremely annoying.

In Ward 20, at least the south part, Mohsin Bhuiyan seems to have the most signs. Crawford has quite a few as well. Bhuiyan apparently runs out to every cabbie he sees on Kingston Road and gives them his literature. I've checked out his social media and he is always with non-white people. This could give him a boost in the area. A lot of the locals in the area were furious with him when he painted over a mural that a local artist painted on the building he's using as his campaign office. I heard he was fined for doing it although when questioned he doesn't admit he orchestrated the painting but tells people to talk to the landlord.

I have a feeling Berardinetti will benefit from a split between Crawford and Bhuiyan. She has a lot of signs now as well but not as many as the other two.

One thing I found really funny: On Kingston Road in Cliffside, there are really old, tired, decrepit buildings. Crawford's office is in one of them. The median has a number of cement planters that are full of weeds, no flowers at all. He stuck a huge sign in one of them, right across from his office. You'd think that the incumbent might have a bit more sense than to put his own sign in something that shows neglect. There were car pieces around the sign from a recent accident that had not been cleaned until a local person called 311. Then you drive to Guildwood about 5 minutes down the road and they have a garden at the entrance at Kingston Road and Guildwood Parkway and beautiful flowers on the median that city workers water regularly. Crawford seems oblivious.

Do people really think that putting a ton of their signs in a row will make people vote for them? I find them extremely annoying.

In Ward 20, at least the south part, Mohsin Bhuiyan seems to have the most signs. Crawford has quite a few as well. Bhuiyan apparently runs out to every cabbie he sees on Kingston Road and gives them his literature. I've checked out his social media and he is always with non-white people. This could give him a boost in the area. A lot of the locals in the area were furious with him when he painted over a mural that a local artist painted on the building he's using as his campaign office. I heard he was fined for doing it although when questioned he doesn't admit he orchestrated the painting but tells people to talk to the landlord.

I have a feeling Berardinetti will benefit from a split between Crawford and Bhuiyan. She has a lot of signs now as well but not as many as the other two.

With Mohsin I got a laugh. His literature initially had the wrong dates on it for advance voting.

Me personally when a person writes "please elect ... for a city councilor" and gives the wrong dates on their lit, I find it unprofessional.

If you want me to vote for you, I expect to have correct information and better proofreading to be taken seriously.

Personally I'm voting for Crawford despite knowing Michelle on a personal level. She's a great woman but she's an absentee councilor. She spent more time on taxpayer funded trips and conferences than she did representing her constituents.

I was in Norm Kelly territory where my parents live and there was a good mix of signs for him and Karygiannis, plus some lesser known candidates.

Paulina Corpuz is running for Councilor in the Ward 20 are. Both she and Mohsin have signs for the sake of putting signs.

I've put signs up and worked many election campaigns, most of their signs are illegally placed. They want name recognition so they are putting signs wherever people can best see them without asking the property owner. I know a business owner in Ward 20 who is politically neutral yet his property is plastered with Paulina and Mohsins signs.

I doubt it will win them votes.

As I always say, you can tell the wannabes by the number of signs and where they are placed. True contenders know where they can place signs and don't need their names plastered on every surface they can find.

Last edited:
As I always say, you can tell the wannabes by the number of signs and where they are placed. True contenders know where they can place signs and don't need their names plastered on every surface they can find.

Worth noting that driving through Willowdale, I saw only about one or two signs for Filion, and a whole bunch for everyone else--feels less like genuine lack of support, and more like keeping powder dry until necessary....

Paulina Corpuz is running for Councilor in the Ward 20 are. Both she and Mohsin have signs for the sake of putting signs.

I've put signs up and worked many election campaigns, most of their signs are illegally placed. They want name recognition so they are putting signs wherever people can best see them without asking the property owner. I know a business owner in Ward 20 who is politically neutral yet his property is plastered with Paulina and Mohsins signs.

I doubt it will win them votes.

Mohsin has 2 styles of signs. It's ridiculous. I'm seeing more trustee signs than I am councillor.

Anyone in Toronto Centre? I've been told that Smitherman is giving KWT a good run for her money. Complicating the scenario is Walied Khogali Ali, an NDP activist, who went against the party's wishes in dropping out after the council cuts. While Ali has a much smaller camp and less money that KWT, he could be nipping away KWT's votes, especially in St. James Town.

I have no dog in the race, but Smitherman deserves to lose for those lawn signs alone:

43125583_10155438077710938_2902130588980871168_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wong-Tam deserves re-election, and she's the most well-known candidate. Lucy Troisi may be an incumbent, but no one in Toronto Centre ever voted for her. George Smitherman has baggage, though he's putting up a hard fight (despite those awful signs).

If there's any anti-Wong-Tam vote, it will split several ways.

Wong-Tam deserves re-election, and she's the most well-known candidate. Lucy Troisi may be an incumbent, but no one in Toronto Centre ever voted for her. George Smitherman has baggage, though he's putting up a hard fight (despite those awful signs).

If anything, Troisi's signs are worse (crudely emphasizing the name "Lucy!")--a pretty bush-league way of campaigning vs Wong-Tam and Smitherman...

Back