Mississauga M3 at M City | 260.29m | 77s | Rogers Real Estate | Arcadis

There was nothing specific said about the rezoning application at the event, but Mayor Bonnie Crombie was totally gungho for the development in her speech, as was (retiring) local ward councillor Nando Iannicca in his emceeing, while both the current and former planning commissioners of Mississauga were there, and they were all smiles. This'll go through no problem.

Good for Mississauga! I won't be surprised to see mighty Mississauga with a very impressive super tall that exceeds TO's modest 307m addition to our skyline. I appreciate the need for planning guidelines but too often we seem to be constricting rather than enhancing outcomes.

This area isn't going to be a proper downtown until the pedestrian realm is dealt with. There has been some progress but for the most part there are few reasons to walk around here. The mall is a problem but the condos aren't much better. This is a cool looking building and yes tall but will there be any reason to walk around it?

Exactly. Giant, sprawling podiums with towers coming out of them also make for a very unwalkable area (Toronto's waterfront hoods, Fort York, City Place etc are very guilty of this).
Just because there's density doesn't mean it's going to be urban or walkable. Mississauga is building vertical suburbs. You still need to drive (in a highway-like traffic, no less) for every single errand.

Mississauga has a unique city features different from conventional city walkways
We like it like that, Dundas and Hurontario and Streetville are our pedestrian-friendly areas

Exactly. Giant, sprawling podiums with towers coming out of them also make for a very unwalkable area (Toronto's waterfront hoods, Fort York, City Place etc are very guilty of this).
Just because there's density doesn't mean it's going to be urban or walkable. Mississauga is building vertical suburbs. You still need to drive (in a highway-like traffic, no less) for every single errand.
What makes Fort York Blvd between Spadina and Bathurst unwalkable? What is your definition of "unwalkable"? MCC is incomplete.

Mississauga has a unique city features different from conventional city walkways
We like it like that, Dundas and Hurontario and Streetville are our pedestrian-friendly areas
An eight-lane-wide intersection may be pedestrian-friendly by Mississauga standards, but it would be an absolute joke to call a Toronto intersection that wide pedestrian-friendly. Though I will admit Streetsville is quite walkable

Last edited:
An eight-lane-wide intersection may be pedestrian-friendly by Mississauga standards, but it would be an absolute joke to call a Toronto intersection that wide pedestrian-friendly. Though I will admit Streetsville is quite walkable
As someone who has to cross it as well Burnhamthorpe, these are highways, not streets. Traffic lights are about 3 minute long most of the time There is a report and I have it some where that I came across done in the early 80's. It call for Hurontario to be 9 lanes wide from the Cooksville Rail bridge north with 7 lanes built being built in the 90's when it was rebuilt. Burnhamthorpe was to be 9 lanes from The Credit River to Hurontario where it was to be reduce to 7 lanes from there to Toronto.

Sure Streetsville is walkable, as there is mostly single lane traffic with on street parking, but only a small area.

An EA was done in the past 10 years to increase Burnhamthorpe to 7 lanes east of Hurontario until everyone woke and did a rethink of doing it. Council finally decided to kill all thoughts of adding lanes to roads in Mississauga to the point they call to reduced the current Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe down 2 lanes before the LRT surface. I spoked far too many times to council in the past on reducing road lanes as well opposing the EA for Burnhamthorpe widening. That is why Mississauga has only 11% of the city residents and workers using transit, even with GO added in.

There is still a general fear of adding on street parking for both roads with some on the north side on Burnhamthorpe in the core at this time.

Have been saying since day one that the city was built for cars, not pedestrians and cycles. Still do today, as it's the car folks who call the shots how the city is to be built, with a number on council.

Don't know where the plan is today to reduce Burnhamthorpe in front of M City to Mavis.

Last edited:
There will be on-street parking on the south side of Burnhamthorpe between Confederation and Grand Drive in front of M-City. It will be built in phases as the development moves westward; it will be paid for by Rogers. Burnhamthorpe west of Mavis won't be touched until redevelopment hits that area but that is many years away. When it does, I suspect that the LRT will be extended to the Erindale GO station.

An EA was done in the past 10 years to increase Burnhamthorpe to 7 lanes east of Hurontario until everyone woke and did a rethink of doing it.

I don't think Burnhamthorpe wasn't widened for that reason. It isn't a commercial or industrial artery farther east so doesn't have as much heavy traffic as do Dundas, Eglinton, Hurontario, etc. That's the real reason it's been left at four lanes this long despite having a reserve to widen into.

I don't think Burnhamthorpe wasn't widened for that reason. It isn't a commercial or industrial artery farther east so doesn't have as much heavy traffic as do Dundas, Eglinton, Hurontario, etc. That's the real reason it's been left at four lanes this long despite having a reserve to widen into.
The widening was to happen from Hurontario to Dixie under the EA. It was to take pressure off Dundas and was heavily used in this area. If one looks at the land in this area as well to Toronto, it wide enough for 7+ lanes, since this was the area the (S)RT was to used back in the 80's.

The city decided that it was time to focuses more on transit than the car to deal with grid lock, but still keep shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to transit. Dundas gets the over flow from the QEW when there is problems on it.

There is an EA out to widen and upgrade Burnhamthorpe to 403 from Erin Mills. There was talk about having an interchange there, but no idea where it stands. It very hard to put one in, but can be done if the idea moves forward.

The City Centre historically has been one of the worst performing sub markets in the GTA. Everything that has made Mississauga a palatable location to set up an office works against the city centre. There is a shift among young generations to want to work close to home. However, the proposed LRT will also benefit Heartland, etc. allowing people to commute with ease from the City Centre without driving. There is no demand for a 25 to 60 storey office tower. No developer will initiate the process. It will only come from a tenant seeking a developer.
I think the future, at least in the coming years, any new MCC office space will be in condo podiums similar to the 7s office building in Parkside Village. I believe there is an office component in the Daniels Wesley tower as well.
P1070353.JPG
P1070320.JPG

Attachments

• P1070353.JPG
    P1070353.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 1,109
  • P1070320.JPG
    P1070320.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,027
Last edited:
Yeah small stuff, you would think with Mississauga having 60 of the top Fortune 500 Canadian Head Offices someone will step up and want to anchor a future office tower in the downtown core?

Yeah small stuff, you would think with Mississauga having 60 of the top Fortune 500 Canadian Head Offices someone will step up and want to anchor a future office tower in the downtown core?
Way back when, a lot of firms moved out to Mississauga for lots of land, and cheap land at that. If they are in a growth industry where they are having to compete with the firms for skilled unversed graduates, then they are likely thinking of moving to an area where that demographic wants to live and work… and for the most part that's not Mississauga City Centre, not yet anyway. The group no longer wants to commute by car. Maybe — maybe — once they've finally got their LRT under construction (what is taking so long?) you might get some companies thinking more positively about MCC.

Back