News   Mar 28, 2024
 120     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am just going to take this time to have a short talk about "what we lost" when going to 25 wards. People were complaining about the types of candidates that won't get elected that would have or at least had a good chance under the 47 ward model, they talk about candidates like Chris Moise and Ausma Malik, who in my opinion are not good candidates and are not electable. Lets look at this article with quotes from one of the "star" candidates that aren't running in the 25 ward model:
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...uncil-better-reflect-the-citys-diversity.html
Here is a quote about why she is running:

“If you’re first of one kind of representation, you never want to be the last and I want there to be more — more young people, more women, more people of colour, Black, Indigenous people in leadership positions who are working for everybody,” Malik said in an interview. “I think that’s really exciting to me in putting myself forward for city council and hopefully to invite a new face of council in 2018.”

This is the reason why I was not upset at all when she dropped out of the race. As a white male do I have any reason to believe that if i went to her with a problem she would give me an equal voice? She seems to only really be in it to be the first ____ to get elected to council. Not because she has a real vision for the city.

We don't need people who see everything through a racial lens. We need people who run for something not because they are something.

I am just going to take this time to have a short talk about "what we lost" when going to 25 wards. People were complaining about the types of candidates that won't get elected that would have or at least had a good chance under the 47 ward model, they talk about candidates like Chris Moise and Ausma Malik, who in my opinion are not good candidates and are not electable. Lets look at this article with quotes from one of the "star" candidates that aren't running in the 25 ward model:
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...uncil-better-reflect-the-citys-diversity.html
Here is a quote about why she is running:

“If you’re first of one kind of representation, you never want to be the last and I want there to be more — more young people, more women, more people of colour, Black, Indigenous people in leadership positions who are working for everybody,” Malik said in an interview. “I think that’s really exciting to me in putting myself forward for city council and hopefully to invite a new face of council in 2018.”

This is the reason why I was not upset at all when she dropped out of the race. As a white male do I have any reason to believe that if i went to her with a problem she would give me an equal voice? She seems to only really be in it to be the first ____ to get elected to council. Not because she has a real vision for the city.

We don't need people who see everything through a racial lens. We need people who run for something not because they are something.
Breaking News: White Male thinks the city is well represented by all the white males on council.

Breaking News: White Male thinks the city is well represented by all the white males on council.

From your post, I gather you think it’s ok to dismiss someone’s opinion based on their gender and ethnicity. So, where do you fit on the intersectionality matrix? Because I’d like to trash your moronic comment, but by your criteria I do need your SJW identifiers first.

From your post, I gather you think it’s ok to dismiss someone’s opinion based on their gender and ethnicity. So, where do you fit on the intersectionality matrix? Because I’d like to trash your moronic comment, but by your criteria I do need your SJW identifiers first.
I'm not dismissing your opinion based on your gender and ethnicity, I'm dismissing your opinion because it's dumb, and because you so clearly lack the lived experience of being anything other than a white male, or even some empathy for anyone who is not like yourself.

That's splitting heirs, no?
split_ends_vbncf6

So good to hear that Palacio and Di Ciano aren't running.

I wonder if groups might put out a platform of "ideal candidates to vote for"- could help make things clearer in these uncertain times.

So good to hear that Palacio and Di Ciano aren't running.

I wonder if groups might put out a platform of "ideal candidates to vote for"- could help make things clearer in these uncertain times.
For E-L the best answer is probably Pamela Gough

I live in Ward 1 and I have no clue who to vote for, lol. Ford (ew), Crisanti (ew), and a wide field of progressive candidates that will all split the vote with each other and will each get 4%.

I live in Ward 1 and I have no clue who to vote for, lol. Ford (ew), Crisanti (ew), and a wide field of progressive candidates that will all split the vote with each other and will each get 4%.
In Ward 1 if I lived there I'd vote for Naiima Farah. Long shot, I know, but she seems like a good person, and qualified.

Back