News   Mar 28, 2024
 303     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 261     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 294     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

https://nowtoronto.com/news/john-tory-doug-ford-bill5/#.W5-90he0HT0.twitter

The comments about Tory are quite interesting, about halfway through the article.

Tory suggested in a series of tweets (since deleted) shortly after Belobaba’s decision that he had “led the charge” on Toronto’s legal challenge.

People usually delete tweets that incriminate them in some way. It's not like he can slink away from those comments when they were heard and seen because cameras and recorders were around.

Anyone anticipating a low turnout on election day?

All the ward confusion could discourage people from voting, if the exhaustion from the news cycle this past month hasn't already.

All the ward confusion could discourage people from voting, if the exhaustion from the news cycle this past month hasn't already.

Definitely. A lot of people are fed up and others are just confused. We haven't had a single mayoral debate or any councillor debates. It's so unfair to voters and the people running alike.

Barring an unexpected PR disaster, I'll be voting for Keesmaat. She'd be a much stronger advocate/leader for Toronto, and she has actual progressive ideas. Tory is just too nice, always trying to please everyone. His meek stance against Thug is the final straw for me.

The poll also asked which mayoral candidate they were planning to vote for. Among decided voters, incumbent John Tory leads with 61.8%, while Keesmaat has 25.6%. Faith Goldy has 6% support while 6.4% of Torontonians said they would support another candidate.

You have to consider that the wall to wall coverage of DoFo's election shenanigans have stolen the much needed spotlight from Keesmaat. Overcoming a 36% deficit for Keesmaat in a month will take a miracle.

Also, Goldy at 6% is frightening. Assuming the same turnout as 2014, that's almost 60,000 votes.

Barring an unexpected PR disaster, I'll be voting for Keesmaat. She'd be a much stronger advocate/leader for Toronto, and she has actual progressive ideas. Tory is just too nice, always trying to please everyone. His meek stance against Thug is the final straw for me.

Keesmaat using fire and Fury while having no real actual strong power against a guy who is ready to go nuclear at any chance would be pretty useless in my opinion and not help Toronto apart from bringing personal satisfaction about 'yeah take that Ford!'

I think Tory is the safe choice to ride out the Ford years but that is my opinion.

Gross insensitivity?

I agree with King of Kensington that just because they are Polish Jews by origin, does not mean they refer to themselves or associate as "Poles".

But if they came to Canada from the Polish Second Republic, they were full Polish citizens and held Polish nationality. Interwar Poland was quite the multi-cultural state.
Don't want to veer too far off the thread surmise, but part of understanding Poland's lurch to the right and social conservatism is found here:

(From Radio Poland)
Poland most homogeneous in EU
22.12.2015 09:58
Poland has the lowest proportion of foreigners in the European Union, with foreign citizens making up just 0.3 percent of the population.

Just slightly more diversified are Romania (0.4 percent), and Croatia, Lithuania and Bulgaria (all 0.8 percent).

On the other end of the scale is Luxembourg (45.3 percent), meaning that almost half of the population do not have Luxembourgish citizenship, the Eurostat statistics agency said. [...]
http://www.thenews.pl/1/10/Artykul/233898,Poland-most-homogeneous-in-EU

Don't want to veer too far off the thread surmise, but part of understanding Poland's lurch to the right and social conservatism is found here:

(From Radio Poland)

http://www.thenews.pl/1/10/Artykul/233898,Poland-most-homogeneous-in-EU

In Poland, you get to choose between libertarian conservatives, neoliberal conservatives, social conservatives, christian conservatives, nationalist conservatives, liberal conservatives, monarchist conservatives (note, Poland does not have a king), progressive conservatives, and finally, agrarian communists. Ironically, you get much more options than you do here in Canada, so long as you like conservationism. AND the electoral system is proportional representation!

But that is a significant digression to the topic at hand.

Last edited:
just have a two person debate... id like to hear both candidates answer questions in a decent amount of time rather then having 3-4 people fighting for the mic and everyone yelling over each other. We know it is Tory vs Keesmat... that's it.

Depends.
Last election was a record 60% voter turnout. Previous election in 2010 had 50% turnout.
2000's elections (3 of them) had voter turnouts under 40%.
So it appears that if no Ford is running for Mayor - 40% is the benchmark.

Back