Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Another ridership update. Took TYSSE northbound just before 11 am today. Every station between Sheppard West and YorkU is a ghost town. Few students coming to and from YorkU. SB a few hours later wasn't much better with maybe about half the seats occupied.
When I attended York U in the early 80s Rosh Hashanah was a day the school was closed....is that still the case perhaps?

When I attended York U in the early 80s Rosh Hashanah was a day the school was closed....is that still the case perhaps?

No, YorkU is open today and tomorrow. Plus there aren't that many Jewish students at York and they are coming mostly from the north (Thornhill), not the south.

Another ridership update. Took TYSSE northbound just before 11 am today. Every station between Sheppard West and YorkU is a ghost town. Few students coming to and from YorkU. SB a few hours later wasn't much better with maybe about half the seats occupied.
Aren't most TTC subway station like that at that time of the day?
Not sure what you are trying to imply.

You're not sure because there's nothing being implied. Tone it down. It's an anecdotal ridership updates for all us transit junkies.

No, YorkU is open today and tomorrow. Plus there aren't that many Jewish students at York and they are coming mostly from the north (Thornhill), not the south.

From link:

Religious Accommodation Guidelines - 2018-2019 Academic Year

The following list of Commonly Observed Dates of Religious Significance is meant as a guide to religious accommodations.

The guide has been compiled in consultation with York’s student Interfaith Council to ensure it is inclusive for York’s student body.

There are many holy days associated with various faiths, and the absence of such dates on this list should not be interpreted to mean that accommodation will not be provided to students who observe those days. University event planners and faculty members are encouraged to take these days into consideration when scheduling events.

Rosh Hashanah Begins at sunset on September 9, 2018 and ends on September 11, 2018
Yom Kippur Begins at sunset on September 18, 2018 and ends on September 19, 2018
First Two Days of Sukkot Begins at sunset on September 23, 2018 and the second day ends at nightfall on September 25, 2018
Shemini Atzeret Begins at sunset on September 30, 2018 and ends at nightfall on October 1, 2018
Simchat Torah Begins at sunset on 1 October 2018 and ends at nightfall on 2 October 2018...
The University would still be open.

As I said, the university is open. I can assure you the high ridership I observed last week was not due to Jewish students being on campus.

Seems logical, most students aren't really heading to the uni at 11. I wonder how PV is doing.

Ehh, you'd be surprised. Lectures start at 8:30 am. The campus is usually pretty busy by 11.

From link:

Religious Accommodation Guidelines - 2018-2019 Academic Year

The following list of Commonly Observed Dates of Religious Significance is meant as a guide to religious accommodations.

The guide has been compiled in consultation with York’s student Interfaith Council to ensure it is inclusive for York’s student body.

There are many holy days associated with various faiths, and the absence of such dates on this list should not be interpreted to mean that accommodation will not be provided to students who observe those days. University event planners and faculty members are encouraged to take these days into consideration when scheduling events.

The University would still be open.
What about those who believe in the FSM? Will they be accommodated? How about Jedi Knights? There's more Jedi Knights living in Canada than there are Scientologists, just from using official census data alone.

Ehh, you'd be surprised. Lectures start at 8:30 am. The campus is usually pretty busy by 11.
That's what I mean, no one is really riding the subway at 11 because everyone is already at campus. I've never had a class later than 10 (though admittedly, Waterloo is different from York, and engineering is a lot more demanding than most programs).

That's what I mean, no one is really riding the subway at 11 because everyone is already at campus. I've never had a class later than 10 (though admittedly, Waterloo is different from York, and engineering is a lot more demanding than most programs).

You may want to re-work that because it reads as “engineering is so demanding that my day was done by 10 every day” :)

That's generally what you can expect from this line moving forward.

Busy during rush hour, minimal usage at all other times.

Is it really any surprise? Look at where it's located:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.784...4!1sJz88EIW4VCTR6wxO72pD7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Certainly wouldn't look out of place in a Walking Dead episode.

You may want to re-work that because it reads as “engineering is so demanding that my day was done by 10 every day” :)
My mistake, "start of classes has never been later than 10 am for me" is probably a better way of doing it. Note to all young people: if you don't like being on campus after 7:30 for classes/tutorials, don't do engineering.

That's generally what you can expect from this line moving forward.

Busy during rush hour, minimal usage at all other times.

Is it really any surprise? Look at where it's located:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.784...4!1sJz88EIW4VCTR6wxO72pD7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Certainly wouldn't look out of place in a Walking Dead episode.

It really makes me wonder why they built the extension underground, there's so much open space out there, you could probably fit in another yard if you wanted to or something (it would be a very redundant yard, but a yard nonetheless).

Back