News   Apr 18, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can I ask a stupid question... how would a smaller council help the suburban areas more than the downtown areas. It sure looks like all the suburban councilors are not happy with the ruling while the downtown ones are happy. Is it because then they would have more votes towards things such as suburban subways?

Can I ask a stupid question... how would a smaller council help the suburban areas more than the downtown areas. It sure looks like all the suburban councilors are not happy with the ruling while the downtown ones are happy. Is it because then they would have more votes towards things such as suburban subways?
Ideological victories. Ground results don't matter.

what do you think the actual odds of winning an appeal is using past history as an example. To me it sure feels like judges dont like over ruling other judges.

Rob Ford was one turfed from office only to be reinstated by another judge. It can happen.

I'm assuming that council will almost certainly get shrunk for 2022?
I'm assuming that if Ford does that then whoever is his Premier rival in the next election will simply vow to change it back winning some easy Toronto votes.

It's the sensible decision. If the ruling isn't changed on appeal Ford can and will enact the legislation effective next election and so he must basically campaign on the decision. Shockingly sensible all around. If the Provincial Government appeals and drags out the process further messing with the Toronto Municipal election they will look even worse as they should.

It's the sensible decision. If the ruling isn't changed on appeal Ford can and will enact the legislation effective next election and so he must basically campaign on the decision. Shockingly sensible all around. If the Provincial Government appeals and drags out the process further messing with the Toronto Municipal election they will look even worse as they should.

I doubt they will be allowed to appeal and extend the election too long. If they do it will only look bad for them with the City of Toronto. Playing politics at the expense of the voters rights never goes over well.

If Ford was smart, he would not appeal and would amend Bill 5 to come into effect in 2022.

If the Provincial Government appeals and drags out the process further messing with the Toronto Municipal election they will look even worse as they should.

And risk whittling more power away from provinces across the entire country regarding what they can do to cities.

Text from the decision:

Attachments

• Decison text.jpg
    Decison text.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 275

Back