News   Apr 18, 2024
 663     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Thanks! Lots of undecided people and not much support for Faith Goldy.

I kind of figured there wouldn't be. And given how many avenues for support are likely to be blocked, and how few would be caught dead with a Faith Goldy sign on their front lawn (as opposed to Twitter trolls with FG sigs), I wouldn't expect much if any in the line of improvement...

That JohnToryWatch person is ALL IN on Faith Goldy, constantly defending as not being racist, despite her love of the 14 words. Interesting how these people aren't being free speech warriors for James Sears and Chris Brosky...

Last edited:
Can't find linked stories up yet, and the Twitter discussion isn't useful.....

But Keesmaat held a presser a few minutes ago touting a plan for greater road/pedestrian safety.

Gist is all residential streets to have 30km/ph speed limit w/in 2 years.

100 most dangerous intersections to get special attention for redesign.

All school zones to be subject to design improvements for safety with a focus on road narrowing, narrower crossings etc.

Need to see a bit more detail, but I like the tone.

I'm paraphrasing here, but in answering a reporter she said something to the effect of 'its not about more signs telling people to slow down, or about collecting more data, its about implementing complete streets policies the City already has.'

Her backgrounder on her site has some images of what she has in mind.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...adSafety_Backgrounder_09072018.pdf?1536330150

Some of the road design changes may help though.

Come to my neighbourhood where the most dangerous twists and turns are done at 50 km/h when they should be done at 10-20 km/h.

What bothers many is that city staff should make more decisions based on what people observe versus relying so much on the data on file. I can't get a stop sign installed because city staff focus so much on what the numbers in the books say. I hope this could change under Kessmaat!

Last edited:
Reactions: vic
I love it. We need a mayor to push progressive policies and take the streets back from cars.

Keesmaat again wants to apply downtown principles to the suburbs. There is NO reason why we should be fined for going 31 km/h on a suburban road.

Keesmaat again wants to apply downtown principles to the suburbs. There is NO reason why we should be fined for going 31 km/h on a suburban road.

May I point out she said 'residential streets' by which she clearly meant side streets, not major thoroughfares w/buses.

This is not about your speed of driving on Markham Rd. Its about the your speed on that really annoying windy rd that takes you 5 minutes to get out of your subdivision at it is.

You're only doing 30 now, except on that straight-away in front of the school.......this will cost you another 10 seconds.

Oh please. When in history has anyone been stopped and ticketed for going 31 in a 30 zone?

How is driving 30 on a *residential* Street a “downtown” thing?

Back