News   Apr 19, 2024
 394     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 719     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 747     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Community councils could be answer to Toronto’s slashed municipal wards" - well, of course they could but doing so and 're-balancing' the work and authority between 25 Councillors, x Community Councils and the 'main' Council is not something that can or should be done in a few weeks. It is a very complicated matter with several alternatives that need to be properly examined.

If Doug Ford REALLY wanted to ensure the City ran more smoothly he would have announced that the 2018 election was the last that would elect 47 Councillors and that future elections would be based on a 25-Ward model (or more generally one Councillor per Federal constituency). The next election could have been left at 2022 or even brought forward to 2020 or 2021. To totally change how the City is governed with NO advance preparation is SO wrong and will probably ensure that the City is governed worse not better.

As I said, this will likely not go through. From what I gathered via twitter from multiple journalists, the judge was not totally thrilled by the province and their defense

I may be wrong but I got the impression the judge was siding with the city. If nothing else he may mandate 47 ward election this time around and 25 in 2022.

The one thing that people brought up in court was the need for fairness in the sense that Toronto was being singled out when other cities and regions are not.

As I said, this will likely not go through. From what I gathered via twitter from multiple journalists, the judge was not totally thrilled by the province and their defense

I may be wrong but I got the impression the judge was siding with the city. If nothing else he may mandate 47 ward election this time around and 25 in 2022.

The one thing that people brought up in court was the need for fairness in the sense that Toronto was being singled out when other cities and regions are not.
The funny thing is that one of the City arguments is that Ford did this too last minute.
Bill 5 (the Better Local Governments Act) was introduced July 30 - 12 weeks before the election.
Bill 5 received Royal Ascent August 14 - 10 weeks before the election.

The judge (I understand) will make his decision on September 10 - 6 weeks before the election.
If 12 weeks before the election is too soon, how can 6 weeks not be ever more "too soon" before the election.

And the reason seems clear as giving too much lead time would result in too many Councillors stabbing each other in the back as they vie for the fewer remaining spaces.

Ideally, the change should have been made after the final City Council meeting. The final meeting was scheduled for week of July 23. So introducing the Bill on July 30 (the following Monday) is almost the perfect time to do it.

The funny thing is that one of the City arguments is that Ford did this too last minute.
Bill 5 (the Better Local Governments Act) was introduced July 30 - 12 weeks before the election.
Bill 5 received Royal Ascent August 14 - 10 weeks before the election.

The judge (I understand) will make his decision on September 10 - 6 weeks before the election.
If 12 weeks before the election is too soon, how can 6 weeks not be ever more "too soon" before the election.

And the reason seems clear as giving too much lead time would result in too many Councillors stabbing each other in the back as they vie for the fewer remaining spaces.

Ideally, the change should have been made after the final City Council meeting. The final meeting was scheduled for week of July 23. So introducing the Bill on July 30 (the following Monday) is almost the perfect time to do it.
It is funny that councilor Stephen Holyday made the same argument, with regards to the councilors stabbing each other in the back. I actually agree with it but unfortunately this really isn't relevant at all to the legal case.

Anyway, I am really wondering were the provincial lawyers trying to throw the case? I mean the reviews from(Probably biased) media sources was that they didn't really preform well. I mean considering most legal analysis was that this was their case to lose they really seemed to be on the back foot for no reason.

I also am curious about the judge's biases. There were probably three comments that concerned me. one comment was that the judge was concerned about the number of minorities on council, saying that is was concerning that 80% of council was white males. First off, that is not a true statement, since there are only 26 councilors that are white males. Secondly, why is this concerning if it was the will of the electorate? Is someone going to suggest quota's for electoral positions. How is that going to work? and most importantly, how is a % of minorities on council affected by the number of councilors anyway?

The second concerning comment was when he asked the province if they got legal advice on if the bill is constitutional. The Provincial lawyers dodged the question but in my everyday person opinion how is this a question that needs answering. Someone could not take legal advice on something and still be 100% within the law and conversely someone could get legal advice and end up being deemed in violation of the constitution still. So what was the point of the line of questioning.

Thirdly, he made a comment about being surprised to see so many councilors watching the court proceedings late on a Sunday. I don't know why he was surprised. It seems more like a political statement in my opinion.

It is funny that councilor Stephen Holyday made the same argument, with regards to the councilors stabbing each other in the back. I actually agree with it but unfortunately this really isn't relevant at all to the legal case.
It shows motive. And it why Ford chose the timing that he chose.
If we are talking law, than the judge should be able to decide without any type of hearing. He should just review the FACTS and make a decision.

It shows motive. And it why Ford chose the timing that he chose.
If we are talking law, than the judge should be able to decide without any type of hearing. He should just review the FACTS and make a decision.

Does interfering in the democratic process and disrupting an election in progress count as a FACT in your world?

I'm really concerned that Mike Colle and Jennifer Arp, two card carrying Liberals, will split the vote and let Carmichael Greb sneak out a win, yet again.

There's a real sense of entitlement with Colle running. He's 73... why squash your son's political ambitions? He has held office municipally and provincially for a total of 36 years! Move on!

I think Colle would easily win under the 25 ward system given that he's represented the entirety of Eglinton-Lawrence.

That's a good point. Similarly, I imagine the 25 ward system gives former MPP Han Dong and former MPs Jim Karygiannis and Matthew Kellway an advantage for the same reasons.

I'm really concerned that Mike Colle and Jennifer Arp, two card carrying Liberals, will split the vote and let Carmichael Greb sneak out a win, yet again.

There's a real sense of entitlement with Colle running. He's 73... why squash your son's political ambitions? He has held office municipally and provincially for a total of 36 years! Move on!

He is clearly one of those politicians who is going to die in office. i guess he has nothing else to do in his life and he needs to be in politics.

I also thin he is the clear front runner. Carmicheal Greb isn't even popular in her own half of the riding. And Colle was MPP for the entire riding in the 25 ward system. So he has better name recognition.

He is clearly one of those politicians who is going to die in office. i guess he has nothing else to do in his life and he needs to be in politics.

I also thin he is the clear front runner. Carmicheal Greb isn't even popular in her own half of the riding. And Colle was MPP for the entire riding in the 25 ward system. So he has better name recognition.

At the same time, the Liberal brand is pretty tarnished. Maybe the riding association puts their resources behind fresh-faced Arp?

Colle actually did better in North Toronto than he did in the western part of the riding where his Italian base eroded and swung heavily to Ford and the PCs.

At the same time, the Liberal brand is pretty tarnished. Maybe the riding association puts their resources behind fresh-faced Arp?

Colle's vote actually held up pretty well considering. Eglinton-Lawrence had the second highest Liberal vote share in the city (and the highest Liberal vote of any riding that did not hold on to).

I still have a sneaking suspicion that once the 25 ward revision is (likely) held up, that Peter Milczyn throws his hat in the race in Etobicoke-Lakeshore. Interestingly, his twitter banner has not changed since the provincial election.

ZZeQB3y.jpg

There really is not a good candidate the replace the two. I know Sharif Ahmed but he really is not capable of being a councilor. The rest are fringe candidates.

It would be interesting to see if they split the vote and someone else wins.

Gerard Arbour is quite well known along the Kingston Road strip. He's had a chiropractic office for 25 years or so and has been involved in a lot of community projects.

While I agree that we need new blood I think it's a bit strong to talk about Mike "squashing' the political ambitions of Josh. Josh is a big boy and if he still wanted to run I bet he would have' I heard him being interviewed and saying 'I want more family time" - presumably NOT with his father! The thought of Greb creeping back in is depressing!

Back