News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 630     0 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

I'm salivating over the development parcels unlocked by this project.
Asides from the new Etobiooke City Centre and YMCA Community Hub, I wouldn't necessarily be salivating. Knowing this city, we'll end up with generic condos wasting the prime opportunity we have to make this area a true hub (ie: with some more office space, commercial centre/retail space similar to North York City Centre).

Asides from the new Etobiooke City Centre and YMCA Community Hub, I wouldn't necessarily be salivating. Knowing this city, we'll end up with generic condos wasting the prime opportunity we have to make this area a true hub (ie: with some more office space, commercial centre/retail space similar to North York City Centre).
Thats is in the plan for the area.

Was planning on doing a photo shoot of the area this past week, but no time could be found to do it.

They are building the sidewalk retaining walls to the south on Bloor so they can build the sidewalk and then get the eastbound lanes open.

More concrete has been pour for the new road as well stone work and trees for the sidewalks.

Thats is in the plan for the area.
Like with almost everything in this city, coming up with a plan and actually following through with said plan are 2 completely separate things which are close to the realm of wishful thinking.

Same old Etobicoke blandness.... the new buildings will be designed without sufficient setback for open air cafes and gathering places, and the rents will discourage those already running stores or restaurants on Dundas and Bloor from moving over. There will be a Shoppers, and maybe a Metro...but people will get on the subway and head over to Bloor West Village where the atmosphere is and the cool stores are.

- Paul

Like with almost everything in this city, coming up with a plan and actually following through with said plan are 2 completely separate things which are close to the realm of wishful thinking.
Given the fact TTC has try for decades to get office buildings onto Islington lands and almost got one 10 years ago, what other office towers will show up other than Etobicoke Centre?? I see Islington been residential towers only.

Having a vision and plan mean nothing for decades in Toronto or elsewhere, as office space must have various things to support their staff and not much in the Kipling/Islington area these days to do it unless getting into a car to do it. Free land for free surface parking was #1 choices in the past

As I have stated many times, not every place can support retail at the base and this area could be one of them. You will have a few of the run of the mill here, but it's the others that are needed to support the area. Having room for open air cafes is great idea, but how many can this area support in the first place?? Getting a Metro, Lob, No Frills or what every is badly need in the area.

That plaza to the north is a good area for more development and not too far down the road to be torn down.

In the 80's there used to be a grocery store (A&P?) and I think a Towers across from the Westwood theatre. Both buildings had unusual church-like spires that made them look like oversized KFC outlets.

In the 80's there used to be a grocery store (A&P?) and I think a Towers across from the Westwood theatre. Both buildings had unusual church-like spires that made them look like oversized KFC outlets.
I remember it as a Dominion sharing the space with a Boots drugstore back in the 1980s. Eventually, it changed to Food Basics and the Drugstore became Rexall. Plaza was torn down in 2004 and the rental towers at Dunbloor/Dundas/Bloor went up shortly after.

The sooner this project is able to come to a completion the better, this area is turning into a complete zoo where traffic is essentially paralyzed from 8am-11am and 3pm-8pm. Dundas turns into a complete mess during these times, while St.Albans and Aukland almost get to the point where traffic is literally gridlocked and no vehicle can travel in any direction until someone decides to use Bloor (west of Kipling) as an alternative, which no one does.

We have the poor planners over at City Hall who allowed the condo project at Kipling and Aukland, and TTC bus bay reconstruction to proceed at the same time that critical road closures and reconstruction started for the Six Points project. I honestly wonder who plans out all this stuff because this is just extremely bad coordination, and it's leading to traffic from both Dundas, and Kipling funneling into a single channel (Aukland and St.Albans).

Then we have the genius commuters who continue to use Subway Crescent around Kipling station as a Passenger Drop off and Pick Up spot. The 15-20 mins they waste both ways to enter and exit Aukland Road would be much better spent continuing eastward to Islington. Buses have been stuck wasting their time and falling behind schedule at all points of the day due to all these people who cant use common sense to just avoid the area all together.

The sooner this project is able to come to a completion the better, this area is turning into a complete zoo where traffic is essentially paralyzed from 8am-11am and 3pm-8pm. Dundas turns into a complete mess during these times, while St.Albans and Aukland almost get to the point where traffic is literally gridlocked and no vehicle can travel in any direction until someone decides to use Bloor (west of Kipling) as an alternative, which no one does.

We have the poor planners over at City Hall who allowed the condo project at Kipling and Aukland, and TTC bus bay reconstruction to proceed at the same time that critical road closures and reconstruction started for the Six Points project. I honestly wonder who plans out all this stuff because this is just extremely bad coordination, and it's leading to traffic from both Dundas, and Kipling funneling into a single channel (Aukland and St.Albans).

Then we have the genius commuters who continue to use Subway Crescent around Kipling station as a Passenger Drop off and Pick Up spot. The 15-20 mins they waste both ways to enter and exit Aukland Road would be much better spent continuing eastward to Islington. Buses have been stuck wasting their time and falling behind schedule at all points of the day due to all these people who cant use common sense to just avoid the area all together.

There are building developments going on right now along Eglinton Avenue, where there is a little rapid transit construction project happening at the same time. So you're saying only do one project (private or public) at a time? Or maybe the roofers shouldn't come over to do your roof next week, because of big project next door?

There are building developments going on right now along Eglinton Avenue, where there is a little rapid transit construction project happening at the same time. So you're saying only do one project (private or public) at a time? Or maybe the roofers shouldn't come over to do your roof next week, because of big project next door?
I'm saying they should coordinate these projects better. In other words, dont close up one lane of traffic on a road (Aukland Rd and St.Albans Rd) where there are literally no alternatives to using that same said road, and all traffic from the surrounding 4 and 6 lane major arterial roads are forced to funnel through the 2-lane same pinch point.

You cant have 4 major projects on the go literally surrounding the same intersections (Dundas and Aukland) and expect anything to function remotely close to properly in an area where there are literally no alternatives and is car dependent area. 2 of the 4 projects on the go right now are very time sensitive (Kipling Mobility Hub and Six Point Reconstruction) while the other 2 could have been adjusted in some aspect to account for the lack of alternatives (Kipling bus bay reconstruction, and the condo project).

The fun has only started. Wait til the surplus land is freed up and sold at Six Points, and those projects begin. The reality is, Etobicoke has passed the point of no return. It’s becoming a city instead of a suburb. All those arterial roads are going to congeal, for ever.

The congestion may start the pressure to extend Line 2, and that’s fine with me.

- Paul

The fun has only started. Wait til the surplus land is freed up and sold at Six Points, and those projects begin. The reality is, Etobicoke has passed the point of no return. It’s becoming a city instead of a suburb. All those arterial roads are going to congeal, for ever.

The congestion may start the pressure to extend Line 2, and that’s fine with me.

- Paul
If our politicians had a logical thought process, they would extend several ends of our subway system out 1-2 stops so we wouldnt be in the constant predicament of Scarborough vs. Etobicoke vs. Downtown vs. North York, and pitting our inner suburbs against each other. But these days politics is all about opportunism, and many residents get caught up in buying that non-sense.

Let's hope you're right on that front, but i'm not expecting any extension of the Bloor-Danforth line westward for the next 20 years minimum since it's not even anywhere close to the planning stages.

Back