Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

1) It would require the elimination of double fares and we can already see how that is going since municipalities are constantly bickering over who should cover the cost of operating outside their boundaries (ie: the 108 Dixie Express in Mississauga/Brampton operates with both MiWay and Brampton Transit vehicles as a way to "resolve" the issue.

2) Transit operators in the GTA have different fare structures, and there would need to be a harmonized solution adopted (ie: currently a child fare in Mississauga is different compared to Toronto, a student fare in Toronto is different compared to Hamilton)

3) It would require moving all fares to tap on/off which Presto cant do it it's current state for 5+ municipalities region wide. As a result, Presto would have to be significantly enhanced at a large cost

4) There is a significant cost difference between using the GO Train/Bus vs. municipal transit region-wide for similar length trips

5) Time of use difference for future peak vs off-peak service hours region wide (ie: MiWay may want a different time of use structure compared to the TTC)

Region-wide fare integration is a lot more complex than you think, and it is easier said than done.

1) If the province makes good with taking over transit, this will not me an issue.

2) If the province makes good with taking over transit, this will not me an issue.

3) If the province makes good with taking over transit, this will not me an issue.

4) If the province makes good with taking over transit, this will not me an issue.

5) If the province makes good with taking over transit, this will not me an issue.

In short, a higher order government is needed in order to fix the many issues. That is why, I might hold my breath if Dougie can fix this.

1) If the province makes good with taking over transit, this will not me an issue.

2) If the province makes good with taking over transit, this will not me an issue.

3) If the province makes good with taking over transit, this will not me an issue.

4) If the province makes good with taking over transit, this will not me an issue.

5) If the province makes good with taking over transit, this will not me an issue.

In short, a higher order government is needed in order to fix the many issues. That is why, I might hold my breath if Dougie can fix this.
If the Liberals were just starting to take baby steps to starting fare integration, what makes you think the Conservatives will? Regional fare integration is very expensive, and it's very apparent Doug doesnt like to spend money. There is no chance on this planet this current government will take over operations for 7 transit operators in the GTA (8 if you include Hamilton). That's unless you're a believer in downloading the costs to municipalities.

I know this is just a placeholder rendering, but look at the green "5" with Hamilton Line on it. Indicative of a future re-designed Metrolinx map/line designations? From this Tweet.

DkQo-dxW0AUyG5x.jpg:large
Is it just me or do these shelters make the Eglinton Crosstown's stops look terrible?

If the Liberals were just starting to take baby steps to starting fare integration, what makes you think the Conservatives will? Regional fare integration is very expensive, and it's very apparent Doug doesnt like to spend money. There is no chance on this planet this current government will take over operations for 7 transit operators in the GTA (8 if you include Hamilton). That's unless you're a believer in downloading the costs to municipalities.

I am not saying he will do it all this term, but if he is good on his transit promises, this could start this. In 10-20 years, we could have fare zones throughout the GTA/GO coverage area.

Is it just me or do these shelters make the Eglinton Crosstown's stops look terrible?

I think the Eglinton Crosstown's stops make the Eglinton Crosstown's stops look terrible. :p

These don't seem to offer much more in the way of protection from the elements, but you're right, they are a damn sight more attractive.

5 Hamilton Line is probably just a placeholder.

I think they will keep the B-Line name, since our city spent so much money ~2007-2011 on deciding the master plan. Hamilton's own money, not province's -- and the extremely detailed master plan Hamilton built, along with the B-Line LRT study that Hamilton self-funded and submitted to Metrolinx in 2011 -- is how Hamilton, singlehandedly, got granted funding in 2015 for their B-Line. For that reason, I'm leaning towards the "5" having simply been Crosstown route-logo copy-and-paste. Perhaps the green circle becomes letter "B" instead of number 5.

Officially, Hamilton has the B-L-A-S-T network master plan, which is now embedded in the "Metrolinx 2041" plan. Provisionally some are LRTs and some are BRTs

BLAST.jpg

Last edited:
5 Hamilton Line is probably just a placeholder.

I think they will keep the B-Line name, since our city spent so much money ~2007-2011 on deciding the master plan. Hamilton's own money, not province's -- and the extremely detailed master plan Hamilton built, along with the B-Line LRT study that Hamilton self-funded and submitted to Metrolinx in 2011 -- is how Hamilton, singlehandedly, got granted funding in 2015 for their B-Line. For that reason, I'm leaning towards the "5" having simply been Crosstown route-logo copy-and-paste. Perhaps the green circle becomes letter "B" instead of number 5.

Officially, Hamilton has the B-L-A-S-T network master plan, which is now embedded in the "Metrolinx 2041" plan. Provisionally some are LRTs and some are BRTs

BLAST.jpg

Correct me if I am mistaken.
I feel the network should already be pseudo BRT. All those routes should have dedicated buses following the route to build up the ridership and visibility.

Correct me if I am mistaken.
I feel the network should already be pseudo BRT. All those routes should have dedicated buses following the route to build up the ridership and visibility.
Agreed. Express buses need to come to the BLAST network ASAP. That said, that is largely contingent on this funding and the bus barn. Hamilton is still working on this in parallel to the LRT plan, but now we're also in the midst of an election.

Disclaimer: My spouse Alain Bureau (@ABureauWard3, www.abureau.ca) is about to launch on Aug 15th as as a candidate for Ward 3 city councillor in Hamilton. I am a member my spouse's campaign team.

Agreed. Express buses need to come to the BLAST network ASAP. That said, that is largely contingent on this funding and the bus barn. Hamilton is still working on this in parallel to the LRT plan, but now we're also in the midst of an election.

Disclaimer: My spouse Alain Bureau (@ABureauWard3, www.abureau.ca) is about to launch on Aug 15th as as a candidate for Ward 3 city councillor in Hamilton. I am a member my spouse's campaign team.

As long as you keep the politics out of this, at least till the end of the election, I doubt anyone would have an issue stating facts and figures.

Comedy Time:

22 seconds of comedy:

On the topic, a major NOLRT lobbyist (who's running for Hamilton Ward 1 city councillor) has accidentally leaked a damning email.

Former Metrolinx employee Jason Allen (who's ALSO running for Hamilton Ward 1 city councillor) has tweeted out this accidentally-leaked email.

upload_2018-8-11_14-22-32.png

(Many candidates have confirmed too. Even my spouse Alain Bureau (Ward 3) also received a copy of the exact same email. Apparently -- Carol Lazich, the #NOLRT lobbyist who is also a Ward 1 city councillor candidate -- accidentally Bcc'd this private email to ALL candidates! Probably a copy-paste of candidate list into Bcc by accident, instead of mail body.)

This is purely comedy.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-11_14-22-32.png
    upload_2018-8-11_14-22-32.png
    221.2 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
Quotes in this column by a Hamilton PC MPP saying new Ford government will wait until the results of the municipal election before moving forward with fubdifu LRT or something else.

NDP blood runs bright orange all throughout the Hammer. Which is why the corrupt, thuggish, criminal, ultra-right extremist occupying the Premier's office would like nothing more than to slip a shiv straight into the Hamilton's heart.

Back