Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Richard, your post seem borderline antagonistic and certainly disrespectful I showed none to you, and would appreciate a less snippy tone.

Of course I don't want a dark orange light.

I also don't want a fixture that I find harsh, and neither historical, nor aesthetically appealing, nor visually cohesive with its surroundings.

I don't know what was there on 'day one', I googled for photos and couldn't find any; using 'Toronto union station concourse ' only gets the odd picture of the old Bay Concourse or the contemporary appearance.

Regardless, the low ceilings don't let themselves to suspended lights.

If I'm not tied to heritage, then I would have preferred recessed lights that illuminated the room without scorching my retina.

If there is a more historically appropriate treatment with a low-profile then I'd be open to that.

But the lighting in the VIA concourse is much brighter than York St; and vastly more in-your-face. I find it distasteful.

As noted, its also not compatible w/the surrounding finishes. (in a historical or contemporary way)

Apologies. Essentially I was saying that bright is better than the lighting that was in places like the great hall and west wing.

Well they sleep on them now...so nothing I guess

Eventually given the prominent location, if the residentially impaired encroach upon the moat roof they will be relocated. It is one thing to sleep on a sidewalk outside the station but it is a safety hazard having them sleep with all their possessions on the moat roof.

What's to stop people from jumping onto the moat roofs?

I saw a few construction workers walking over the glass without any concern about the weight. So there will be some idiots but it appears as if it was built to withstand them

Eventually given the prominent location, if the residentially impaired encroach upon the moat roof they will be relocated. It is one thing to sleep on a sidewalk outside the station but it is a safety hazard having them sleep with all their possessions on the moat roof.
It's warmer and nobody will do a thing

Some work tonight on the western side of the moat near the Front/University intersection.

2MeYK9a

Last edited:
Wow, the York teamway roof is suddenly moving really quickly. They went from nothing to the side frames to now putting in some of the roof itself in just a few days. Great to see.

Yes but the glass roof is see through (obviously), if they start sleeping there during the day, leaving belongings someone will look up and complain. I am not against the homeless but the moat roof is not the place for them to stay.

With all the added, heightened security at the station it will only take one raised concern for homeless people to be relocated and a barricade erected.

Wow, the York teamway roof is suddenly moving really quickly. They went from nothing to the side frames to now putting in some of the roof itself in just a few days. Great to see.
Yes it is good to see the structure going up but that is actually the easy/fast part of all this. They have been working on the underground supporting structure and all the below-ground ducts etc for months. They are doing same thing at the equivalent Bay moat area so I suspect we will see a sudden 'explosion' of above-ground work there fairly soon too.

Yes it is good to see the structure going up but that is actually the easy/fast part of all this. They have been working on the underground supporting structure and all the below-ground ducts etc for months. They are doing same thing at the equivalent Bay moat area so I suspect we will see a sudden 'explosion' of above-ground work there fairly soon too.

I suspect they are trying to complete the work before the fall so as to provide for heated access in the winter.

Yes but the glass roof is see through (obviously), if they start sleeping there during the day, leaving belongings someone will look up and complain. I am not against the homeless but the moat roof is not the place for them to stay.

With all the added, heightened security at the station it will only take one raised concern for homeless people to be relocated and a barricade erected.

Maybe we can build adequate shelter space so it's not a big problem in the first place.

Amazing what you can do when you dont have to work around hundreds of thousands of passing commuters...

I suspect they are trying to complete the work before the fall so as to provide for heated access in the winter.
The York Moat won't be heated, just sheltered. Doors to the heated Front Street Moat will be under the bridge from the Front sidewalk to the Metrolinx offices. (The Bay Moat won't be heated either. Same deal with the doors under the bridge at the east end.

Amazing what you can do when you dont have to work around hundreds of thousands of passing commuters...
Can't say the same about the Bay Moat because of the TTC and PATH entrance. How would people from the Bay West Teamway access the TTC if that entrance was closed? Go up to street and then back down?

The PATH entrance in the York Moat is almost unused due to the short length of it to just bypass one intersection. The NW PATH can't come soon enough.

Back