Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

TTC knows. They argued against the edge-of-road design from when it was first presented; and promptly got overruled by council and told to hold their tongue.

But they also refuse to paint the TTC-only lanes a different colour so people can easily identify it. Heck, even Mississauga is painting their bus only areas red...why can't Toronto?

As said before, many a time, by multiple posters here, had they simply gone with a grass ROW or open rail ballast this would be a non-issue.

The only portion that should be filled in w/concrete or something else is where cars or people are expected to cross, and my inclination would have been to use cobblestone there as a very distinct, high-visibility treatment. Smooth only where pedestrians or cyclists are expected to cross. That's it.

Would likely also reduce unexpected/dangerous crossings by pedestrians and cyclists.

As said before, many a time, by multiple posters here, had they simply gone with a grass ROW or open rail ballast this would be a non-issue.

I'm not entirely sure of that. These drivers continue going a fair distance down the tunnel when it's pretty clear to anybody with a functioning mind that their vehicle isn't intended to be there.

When Fleet St. was under construction (giant construction barriers, open trench for the sewer installation) more than one person drove into the open trench (totalling their vehicle in the process). My wife even yelled "It's under construction" at one lady as she was manoeuvring around the construction barricade, who simply responded that she had a right to drive there and proceeded to drive into the trench (yes, police did charge her with a DUI).

Short of significant changes to driver education (something in-line with Japan's system) or n automated vehicle deactivation system, someone will drive there.

It's pretty well known you shouldn't drive into a bus shelter either yet every year there is at least one that gets rammed into.

There are definite design issues with Queens Quay but even perfect designs run into issues with a suitably incompetent driver.

Last edited:
But they also refuse to paint the TTC-only lanes a different colour so people can easily identify it. Heck, even Mississauga is painting their bus only areas red...why can't Toronto?
How would paint colour of the tracks change that somehow got on a raised right of way? I mean the fact that it's a different hight then the road should tell you something? We don't have cars getting up onto the sidewalk all the time and driving along it?

How would paint colour of the tracks change that somehow got on a raised right of way? I mean the fact that it's a different hight then the road should tell you something? We don't have cars getting up onto the sidewalk all the time and driving along it?

The tracks along Queens Quay arent raised. They are the same height as the road

People turn here into them https://goo.gl/maps/xYAufMhQvP12

But if you look they are painted. It's painfully obvious that you shouldn't drive here.

People here on this sub are not realizing that 90% of the people who end up in the streetcar tunnel were intoxicated and charged with driving under the influence.

They were drunk. No amount of logic will stop a drunk. You need a physical barrier.

The tracks along Queens Quay arent raised. They are the same height as the road

People turn here into them https://goo.gl/maps/xYAufMhQvP12

You can clerly see in the picture you posted that it is raised up hence having to go up a ramp just like if you were turning into a driveway.

here on this sub are not realizing that 90% of the people who end up in the streetcar tunnel were intoxicated and charged with driving under the influence.

They were drunk. No amount of logic will stop a drunk. You need a physical barrier.

Nobody is disputing that people were drunk that did it. Alos the TTC is putting in a physical barrier that will hopefully stop someone from getting into the tunnel.

I’ve seen it in multiple places. Of course, from Spadina they can get off before going down the tunnel.

Isn’t the left turn from southbound York St to the ROW where the mistakes happen?

https://goo.gl/maps/Jc7ZyRHr67G2
Yes, but also the right hand turn going east.

Bathurst, Spadina and x are not raise to match the QQ ROW that is raise 100% for all other crossing.

You will find clueless drivers turning right and left onto the ROW at one time or another for all crossing. Even getting around a car thats turning

I’ve seen it in multiple places. Of course, from Spadina they can get off before going down the tunnel.

Yes of course cars mistakenly enter the ROW at multiple points including at Spadina. But I find it hard to believe that cars drive on the ROW from Spadina all the way to the tunnel; there are just too many opportunities to exit, run into a streetcar or have a streetcar in the opposite direction slam on their horn as warning, for example.
It seems much more realistic to me that cars that ultimately end in the tunnel first entered the ROW much closer, like at York.

For sure, they don’t go all the way from Spadina to the tunnel. I didn’t say that they did, just that they entered the ROW.

For sure, they don’t go all the way from Spadina to the tunnel. I didn’t say that they did, just that they entered the ROW.
I have seen some start to the west of Rees and got almost to York before been forced off the ROW. This is during the day, not at night. Since next to no one is around late at night, you never know if this has happen as you noted.

Back