News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 789     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

[...]
If Ford does pull the plug, as brother Rob famously attempted to on day one of his mayoralty, everyone should know that he’ll be setting fire to a whole lot of taxpayer dollars. According to Metrolinx, the province has budgeted $10 billion for the five big Greater Toronto LRT lines (Eglinton, Finch, Sheppard, Hurontario and Hamilton), of which $4.2 billion has been spent. Most, of course, has gone to the Eglinton Crosstown.

I’d say there’s virtually zero chance that a Ford government would stop that project because the sunk costs are so great, the cancelation penalties so steep.
[...]
http://spacing.ca/toronto/2018/03/22/doug-ford-government-will-transit/

I'm not quite as sure...

Ah interesting.

What about the existing TTC to GO tunnel. Hopefully it remains, or it will actually make for a longer walk than now, connecting from Line 2 (and especially Line 3) to GO.
I think it is 7 in the rendering.

Does it have to wait at traffic lights?
Yep, it does. I lived in Boston for almost 7 years. The Green Line is notorious for bad service. But it depends on which branch you get one. The B line out to Boston College from Kenmore is the worst, since it goes through Boston University and Allston. The C line is better, which takes you through Brookline. The D line is not bad.

It stops at all lights, and is painfully slow and often jammed to the gills. That being said, I used Boston's T daily and overall it's better than the TTC, despite how loathed it is by Bostonians. The fare card system in particular is easy and virtually flawless/idiot proof.

I found I really disliked Boston's system when I visited a few years ago. Old, ratty, completely falling apart. The TTC feels much cleaner and more comfortable.
It depends on what lines you were using. The blue line is new and quite nice; the orange line is old, but not overly. The red line as well. If you were using the green line, then yes, it's in rough shape. But overall the system runs more smoothly and efficiently than the TTC.

I found I really disliked Boston's system when I visited a few years ago. Old, ratty, completely falling apart. The TTC feels much cleaner and more comfortable.

Most of the preWW2 systems in North America are like that.

Chicago and NY system is filthy and rusted out.

800px-Chambers_Street_-_Nassau_Line_Platform.jpg

It depends on what lines you were using. The blue line is new and quite nice; the orange line is old, but not overly. The red line as well. If you were using the green line, then yes, it's in rough shape. But overall the system runs more smoothly and efficiently than the TTC.
I took the red, orange, green, and silver lines while I was there. The Silver line was nice and new, but very odd given the massive amount of infrastructure for a friggen bus.

I found that the red line was quite ratty, and the station I used (Harvard) looked like it dated from about the 1970's. The train was absolutely ancient. Only one of the two doors on the subway car opened when entering the train.

From what I recall the frequency was way lower. I remember waiting 5-6 minutes almost every time I took a train.

I find New York's system to be cleaner than Boston.. but Toronto is a more pleasant system than either of them.

But overall the system runs more smoothly and efficiently than the TTC.

I've never heard anyone - and that includes employees - ever describe the MBTA as "...runs more smoothly and efficiently than X".

Considering that the newly-minted TTC CEO got his start at MBTA and helped oversee the design and entry to service of the disastrous Type 8 LRV, I shudder to think if there was ever a day that the MBTA does run better than the TTC.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I've never heard anyone - and that includes employees - ever describe the MBTA as "...runs more smoothly and efficiently than X".

Considering that the newly-minted TTC CEO got his start at MBTA and helped oversee the design and entry to service of the disastrous Type 8 LRV, I shudder to think if there was ever a day that the MBTA does run better than the TTC.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Well, consider me your first. I used that system daily for 5+ years. It runs more smoothly than the TTC.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
MBTA could fix the commuter rail service as well.

The Green Line has other warts also. One is that the inner section is fare paid, but the outer areas require payment as you board. So every trailing vehicle has a very bored fare collector riding along. MBTA workers are about the most jaded and inert emplyees on any transit system I have used.

- Paul

This demand for more money and time is great news for both Ford and the travelling public.

It will give Ford the excuse to cancel the eastern at-grade section and make the line fully grade separated which is what it should have been from the very beginning. It also will make the line cheaper to run as it can then be automated. The only reason why the eastern section wasn't grade separated is due to Miller's fantasy of complete streets thinking he can turn a commercial/industrial road into some form of mini-Yorkville and particularly because his union backers never want a line that could be automated. This line exemplifies the lunacy of Miller's LRT or nothing transportation plan which was just as bad as Ford's subways, subways, subways.

This demand for more money and time is great news for both Ford and the travelling public.

It will give Ford the excuse to cancel the eastern at-grade section and make the line fully grade separated which is what it should have been from the very beginning. It also will make the line cheaper to run as it can then be automated. The only reason why the eastern section wasn't grade separated is due to Miller's fantasy of complete streets thinking he can turn a commercial/industrial road into some form of mini-Yorkville and particularly because his union backers never want a line that could be automated. This line exemplifies the lunacy of Miller's LRT or nothing transportation plan which was just as bad as Ford's subways, subways, subways.

While I support the line being underground between Laird and Kennedy, what would to happen to the Brentcliffe and Don Mills portals? There has been substantial work done on them and just demolishing/abandoning them doesn't seem right.

The only reason why the eastern section wasn't grade separated is due to Miller's fantasy of complete streets thinking he can turn a commercial/industrial road into some form of mini-Yorkville and particularly because his union backers never want a line that could be automated

Also the fact that grade separating the eastern portion would have deprived other parts of the city of higher order transit :rolleyes:

Back