News   Apr 17, 2024
 927     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 318     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is there an easy way to find out which councillors voted with the mayor most often, both Tory and RoFo?

What do people think of Sarah Doucette? She's now my councillor, but I'm fairly new to the neighbourhood and don't have much of a sense of her record, whether good or otherwise. Are there any serious challengers, announced or expected?

I really like her. I don't live in her ward (I live next door) but have friends in her ward and she's very good at being a constituent representative. She is progressive, but is also very reasonable. I wouldn't put her in the category of the latte-sipping elites. She listens and works with people with whom she has different beliefs to get things done (e.g., supporting Mark Grimes on the Park Lawn Go).

Yes, her nomination has been expected, she is the "NDP Candidate" and it is looking like the race in Ward 21 will be between her and Suzanne Kavanagh, the long-time President of the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association. https://suzannekavanagh.ca/

I find this interesting, for a few reasons:

1. I'm somewhat amused that the media still routinely refers to Jennifer Hollett as a former MuchMusic VJ. She has also worked for CBC, a number of NGOs, and since gotten a Masters degree at the JFK School of Government at Harvard. But for people of a certain age, I guess, having once been a VJ is a notable factor.

2. She ran for the NDP in University-Rosedale, which won't necessarily have increased her profile in Ward 21. Mind you, maybe she doesn't need the profile boost, given that VJ thing. (She did once run in an NDP nomination contest for Toronto Centre, losing to Linda McQuaig, so she would presumably be quite familiar to card-carrying NDPers in Ward 21).

3. Interesting that the NDP didn't back Kavanaugh. Anyone know the story there? (maybe there isn't one)

I find this interesting, for a few reasons:

1. I'm somewhat amused that the media still routinely refers to Jennifer Hollett as a former MuchMusic VJ. She has also worked for CBC, a number of NGOs, and since gotten a Masters degree at the JFK School of Government at Harvard. But for people of a certain age, I guess, having once been a VJ is a notable factor.

2. She ran for the NDP in University-Rosedale, which won't necessarily have increased her profile in Ward 21. Mind you, maybe she doesn't need the profile boost, given that VJ thing. (She did once run in an NDP nomination contest for Toronto Centre, losing to Linda McQuaig, so she would presumably be quite familiar to card-carrying NDPers in Ward 21).

3. Interesting that the NDP didn't back Kavanaugh. Any thoughts on that, @DSC ?

I assume that Hollett thinks that having been a VJ is more likely to appeal to voters in Ward 21 (though I am somewhat doubtful that it will be of any interest to those who actually vote - or even them as the experience hardly seems relevant.) I think the expectation is that she wants to gain or increase her name recognition (elected or not) and will run against either Freeland or Morneau in the 2019 Federal election.

Kavanagh is not an NDP member or, I think, a member of any party; the NDP likes to run/support members. That said, I know many NDP members who will support Kavanagh as she has shown she knows and loves the area and will be 'in it' for the long haul. Kavanagh has been out and about more than usual in last few weeks and her campaign seems more active (I got a flyer at my door) - but it's early days!

Having been a VJ is all that matters, mate. What's all that other high-minded fluff in that list? Sometimes, the best things in life are the least serious ones.

Wait, that's a lie....almost always, the best things in life are the least serious ones.

I don't care for the NDP, but I wish her well. Just for being a former VJ.
Come on you Hollett!

Having been a VJ is all that matters, mate. What's all that other high-minded fluff in that list? Sometimes, the best things in life are the least serious ones.

Wait, that's a lie....almost always, the best things in life are the least serious ones.

I don't care for the NDP, but I wish her well. Just for being a former VJ.
Come on you Hollett!
Three words: Rick. The. Temp.

Three words: Rick. The. Temp.

hahahaaa.......friggin Rick the Permanent Temp.

My point was that nothing on that list of her accomplishments merits automatic support for her candidacy.

Harvard? I don't give a toss. What's your opinion on making King Street a transit mall? For example.
Do you like football?
What's your opinion on gathering firewood while crown land camping?
Harvard? Good for you.

hahahaaa.......friggin Rick the Permanent Temp.

My point was that nothing on that list of her accomplishments merits automatic support for her candidacy.

Harvard? I don't give a toss. What's your opinion on making King Street a transit mall? For example.
Do you like football?
What's your opinion on gathering firewood while crown land camping?
Harvard? Good for you.
Plus she works for Twitter. That has to be a knock against her as well.

Plus she works for Twitter. That has to be a knock against her as well.

Oh...fuuu...ok, I didn't know that. Never mind. Hope she loses. :p

I can't even watch videos linked through Twitter on any website anymore because I won't let them spy on me. Pfft, Twitter.

According to Sun columnist Tom Parkin, recently ousted MPP Han Dong is considering running in the new Ward 20.

https://tomparkin.ca/2018/07/10/tos...-planning-to-boost-the-cynicism-at-city-hall/

That would throw Kevin Vuong under the bus if Han Dong runs -- Vuong is the unofficial Liberal candidate in the ward, and has enjoyed support from Dong's team.

Deanna Sgro is a real piece of work. She changed her name from Natale (her married name) partly to benefit from her mother's name recognition, and also to distance herself from the Law Society reprimand. She should have been disbarred for the crap she pulled.

Returning Peter Milczyn would be a huge improvement over Justin Di Dunpar, but I was hoping he'd run in Ward 6 instead and take out Grimey.

I think Tiffany Ford has a very good shot at beating Mammoliti. I think her last name alone could do the trick. Last election, there is no doubt in my mind that the otherwise very skilled Ward 6 candidate Russ Ford got a 'bump' due to his last name, nearly taking down Mark Grimes.

Last edited:

Back