News   Apr 24, 2024
 905     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 607     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

“Cancelling this project will be a net-benefit and result in savings for Ontario ratepayers, after they will no longer be on the hook for this over-priced wind power. The Government will be taking action through legislation to insulate itself from any domestic litigation,” Jefferies said.

And for the record, the $100 million figure comes from the guy who says he's owed $100 million.

So the government is going to legislate an end to the legality of contracts? Only insofar as the government is concerned?

Yeah, fuuuucking greeeeaaaaat for business!

These guys are the exact antithesis of good for business and the taxpayer. What a joke.

Not at all PinkLucy. It's the figure that I call into question, not the validity of the contract.

Where does the number come from? And I quite agree that if the savings from canceling the wind farm don't outweigh the potential costs associated with it the government should not cancel it.
I remember teachers had a valid contract with accumulated sick days.

They government changed the law and took them away. It does seem improbable that the PC's could pass such a law - but the law is a strange thing.
Maybe the argument is that the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) was not in a legal position to sign a contract (during the writ period), so the Contract was illegal. An illegal contract cannot be enforced.
Some very suspicious contracts were signed right at the end of the Liberals term in office. It is no doubt that Ford will get a lot of leeway in paying initial up-front penalties to avoid the significant long-term costs these Liberal tried to lock us into.

They government changed the law and took them away. It does seem improbable that the PC's could pass such a law - but the law is a strange thing.
Maybe the argument is that the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) was not in a legal position to sign a contract (during the writ period), so the Contract was illegal. An illegal contract cannot be enforced.
Some very suspicious contracts were signed right at the end of the Liberals term in office. It is no doubt that Ford will get a lot of leeway in paying initial up-front penalties to avoid the significant long-term costs these Liberal tried to lock us into.

Why would the Independent Electricity System Operator not be legally allowed to sign contracts during the writ period?

Are they part of government or the legislature?

Also, pointing out the absurdities of other governments as a defence of the current isn't a valid defence, it's deflection and it's tired.

Lots of assumptions.

I remember teachers had a valid contract with accumulated sick days. The government changed the law and took them away.

Was their accumulated sick leave embedded in their collective agreement or within legislation (i.e. Education Act, Public Service Act, etc.). I can't see how an Act of the Legislature can override or render null a collection agreement. Honest question.

I read somewhere that the government is not only going to cancel cap-and-trade but is going to pass legislation that prevents any future government from resurrecting it. I think the courts might have a problem with that - a government cannot bind its successor.

It's the "consent" rules that have been thrown out that worries me. Maybe all the whining about paedophilia was more projection.

What consent rules are these? Are you talking about something from the sex-ed curriculum?

I read somewhere that the government is not only going to cancel cap-and-trade but is going to pass legislation that prevents any future government from resurrecting it. I think the courts might have a problem with that - a government cannot bind its successor.

Forced carbon tax instead of shell game? Dooooo iiiit!

Well now.....this is interesting!

Hydro One boss is out the door, apparently without his 10M + severance package, instead taking 'retirement' with a $400,000 payout.

The Board is also sacked.

There is definitely something we're missing here. I'm entirely curious what it is (why did someone walk away from 10M?) Not to suggest that that number was ever remotely reasonable, but they knew that when they negotiated it. Hmmm.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...ng-to-fire-hydro-ones-board-of-directors.html

Well now.....this is interesting!

Hydro One boss is out the door, apparently without his 10M + severance package, instead taking 'retirement' with a $400,000 payout.

The Board is also sacked.

There is definitely something we're missing here. I'm entirely curious what it is (why did someone walk away from 10M?) Not to suggest that that number was ever remotely reasonable, but they knew that when they negotiated it. Hmmm.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...ng-to-fire-hydro-ones-board-of-directors.html

OK, ok, I'm impressed.....unless that 10M is a pension component of said 'retirement'.

This government is literally taking us back two decades.

Children really need the content the new curriculum provides.

Like generally? If they bring back Electric Circus, car park raves, and Mats Sundin, I'm all for it.

I think a lot of adults really need the content the new curriculum provides and therein lies the problem.

Back