543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 837     0 

Water heater rental

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
After 13 years with Enercare my tank needed repair. They wanted to charge me $150 for a part when I’ve given them thousands over these years. So, I’m done, plumber comes on Monday to sell and install a new tank I’ll own outright.

Isn’t it odd that we rent hot water heaters? We don’t rent furnaces or toilets.

After 13 years with Enercare my tank needed repair. They wanted to charge me $150 for a part when I’ve given them thousands over these years. So, I’m done, plumber comes on Monday to sell and install a new tank I’ll own outright.

Isn’t it odd that we rent hot water heaters? We don’t rent furnaces or toilets.

It's out of habit & scare tactics Enercare etc use.
If it's a rental, why do you need to pay for repairs?
I've been paying $20/m x 12 x 15 years, so that's $3,600. I think an equivalent is $1,200-1,500 installed.

Can you PM me or leave details here about the new tank & price? TIA

It's out of habit & scare tactics Enercare etc use.
If it's a rental, why do you need to pay for repairs?
I've been paying $20/m x 12 x 15 years, so that's $3,600. I think an equivalent is $1,200-1,500 installed.

Can you PM me or leave details here about the new tank & price? TIA
Will do. Though I may just ask about keeping the tank, exiting the contract, and having it repaired privately.

Will do. Though I may just ask about keeping the tank, exiting the contract, and having it repaired privately.

You might not like their buy-out price or their 'send-it-back termination fee'. Depending on the terms of your contract (apparently the rules changed around 2010) they don't make it easy to terminate. You're probably better off to suck it up and buy new. Assuming your not on really hard water, the worst I've ever had to do is replace a heating element.

You might not like their buy-out price or their 'send-it-back termination fee'. Depending on the terms of your contract (apparently the rules changed around 2010) they don't make it easy to terminate. You're probably better off to suck it up and buy new. Assuming your not on really hard water, the worst I've ever had to do is replace a heating element.

Is the water hardness different throughout GTA?

I think most contracts expire after 10 or 15 years, which is probably the maximum lifespan. The last water heater lasted 17 years. Mine is due around July or so, so I'm looking to replace with my own vs rental.

Is the water hardness different throughout GTA?

I think most contracts expire after 10 or 15 years, which is probably the maximum lifespan. The last water heater lasted 17 years. Mine is due around July or so, so I'm looking to replace with my own vs rental.

The hardness question is a good point. I suppose it depends on the source(s) used by the municipal system or the groundwater if a private well (but I believe the OP is in Toronto).

Regarding the contracts, I don't know for sure but I recall making inquiries when I bought our current house that the government changed the rules either around 2010 or 2012, largely to end the onerous buy-out provisions that many rental contracts had (I never did pull the trigger - still on a rental but it's 'on the list'). It's certainly worth the research in my opinion.

I would also be interested to learn more about this because I'd like to sever the water heater rentals that I've had at my home for 18 years. I've rented two tanks for way too long. I'm sure it hasn't been a good use of money, but when I got an estimate to install an on-demand gas system about 10 years ago, it was cost prohibitive for my budget.

I would also be interested to learn more about this because I'd like to sever the water heater rentals that I've had at my home for 18 years. I've rented two tanks for way too long. I'm sure it hasn't been a good use of money, but when I got an estimate to install an on-demand gas system about 10 years ago, it was cost prohibitive for my budget.

Whole house tankless (on-demand) heaters in my opinion warrant additional research. Electric require a fairly robust electrical service and, depending on ue, can be energy hogs at our prices. Gas may require changes to supply and venting even if replacing an existing tank-type. Depending on your plumbing, a tankless may supply the rather uncomfortable 'cold rush' until the water from the heater hits the faucet.

Back